Vaagheid

People Who Are Dead According To Wikipedia...

NYT obit for Replansky.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Confirmed via her friend, writer Lesléa Newman, on her Facebook page.

New York Times obit, she and Doris Grumbach, both born 1918 and both LGBT woman died at the same time!

On 30/12/2022 at 16:17, Ulitzer95 said:

Ronald E. Asher (wiki), linguist at the University of Edinburgh, supposedly died on 26 December, aged 96.

Gerald Moore (wiki), British literary scholar, supposedly died on 27 December, aged 98.

Malayalam obit for Asher.

• Like 2

gerry_ohara.jpg.9afab0dd5bf8fbc0bd1c4a90421421f4.jpg

British film and television director and screenwriter Gerry O'Hara (wiki), supposedly died on 9 January aged 98.

Directed and wrote "The Bitch" starring Joan Collins. Other credits include "Richard III", "Our Man in Havana" and the Oscar-winning "Tom Jones".

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

British film and television director and screenwriter Gerry O'Hara (wiki), supposedly died on 9 January aged 98.

Directed and wrote "The Bitch" starring Joan Collins. Other credits include "Richard III", "Our Man in Havana" and the Oscar-winning "Tom Jones".

O'Hara's directorial debut was the 1963 cautionary tale That Kind of Girl, about the dangers of contracting venereal disease.

Adding that to my Trakt "to watch" list.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

A Crumble pick last year's DDP, but he dropped him this time.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

A Crumble pick last year's DDP, but he dropped him this time.

May have been a wise decision to drop.

Spoke to the Guardian earlier about Gerry O'Hara and they said they won't be running an obituary due to a big backlog of showbiz type obits (most of which have already been published online but haven't yet appeared in print). News to me they were still printing the Guardian but whatever!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Spoke to the Guardian earlier about Gerry O'Hara and they said they won't be running an obituary due to a big backlog of showbiz type obits (most of which have already been published online but haven't yet appeared in print). News to me they were still printing the Guardian but whatever!

This backlog will probably have an impact on other potential hits as well going forward as well. 

1 hour ago, The Old Crem said:

This backlog will probably have an impact on other potential hits as well going forward as well

Starting to sound like the little girl from Aliens.

• Like 1

Miiko Taka Hollywood Reporter obit. Worth quoting this part:

News of her death was posted Jan. 4 on social media by a grandson. Details of her death were not available, with her son informing The Hollywood Reporter through a spokesperson that his family did not want to participate in an obituary.

1. THR definitely read this forum.

2. The family don't want to give out any details, but presumably edited Wikipedia? :scratchhead:

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, tracy said:

2. The family don't want to give out any details, but presumably edited Wikipedia? :scratchhead:

It honestly does feel like they reading this place.

35 minutes ago, tracy said:

Honestly, a bizarre response from the family. 

Annette McCarthy’s son posted a tribute to his mum on Instagram and wrote the same thing – that they’re seeking to shun publicity. A quick glance at Annette’s Facebook reveals she was suffering from cancer since at least 2016, so her death was not exactly unexpected.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tracy said:

Why does it mean that they read this forum ? 

also, Why is obituary so important ? Is this an english thing or a forum thing ? I don’t get it but I (and maybe it’s because I’m french, I don’t know) Absolutely don’t care about an obituary. The people is announced dead by the family anyway so this is What is important, What does an obituary add ? It’s not like if the fame of the people depend on the obituary right ? 
I saw french people being announced dead here long before they got an obituary from any newspaper (Dominique Marcas for example, died last year at 101 and still hasn’t been mentioned in any newspaper or site) but that doesn’t mean that they’re not famous (Marcas was a bit famous fe). I don’t get the thing with obituary, for example forbiding certain site or newspaper in the DDP is completely incompréhensible to me.

• Confused 4

39 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Why does it mean that they read this forum ? 

also, Why is obituary so important ? Is this an english thing or a forum thing ? I don’t get it but I (and maybe it’s because I’m french, I don’t know) Absolutely don’t care about an obituary. The people is announced dead by the family anyway so this is What is important, What does an obituary add ? It’s not like if the fame of the people depend on the obituary right ? 
I saw french people being announced dead here long before they got an obituary from any newspaper (Dominique Marcas for example, died last year at 101 and still hasn’t been mentioned in any newspaper or site) but that doesn’t mean that they’re not famous (Marcas was a bit famous fe). I don’t get the thing with obituary, for example forbiding certain site or newspaper in the DDP is completely incompréhensible to me.

Too many questions in this but take the example of Taka – the only evidence of her death was an edit to her Wikipedia. A relative had changed their profile picture to a photo of her but that didn’t prove it either. The Hollywood Reporter said that her grandson posted something in tribute to her on 4th January but his account is private so there was no way of us seeing it. So for verifiability purposes, an obit has to appear for us to be certain they’re deceased. That’s how Wikipedia works, as well as news organisations etc. If our standards were held only to that of forum rumours, social media posts and unsourced Wiki edits, then death hoaxes would be believed constantly… and then this forum would be totally useless because there would be no way to ascertain if someone was actually dead or not. 

And no – it’s not because you’re French (which you seem to mention in every post). French media and newspapers and French Wikipedia hold themselves to the exact same standards. No obit (or at least death record or a post from a reliable source) = no proof that they’re actually dead.

• Like 7

I contacted them twice, the second time referencing to social media posts by her family.

Very glad they listened, thank you!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Too many questions in this but take the example of Taka – the only evidence of her death was an edit to her Wikipedia. A relative had changed their profile picture to a photo of her but that didn’t prove it either. The Hollywood Reporter said that her grandson posted something in tribute to her on 4th January but his account is private so there was no way of us seeing it. So for verifiability purposes, an obit has to appear for us to be certain they’re deceased. That’s how Wikipedia works, as well as news organisations etc. If our standards were held only to that of forum rumours, social media posts and unsourced Wiki edits, then death hoaxes would be believed constantly… and then this forum would be totally useless because there would be no way to ascertain if someone was actually dead or not. 

And no – it’s not because you’re French (which you seem to mention in every post). French media and newspapers and French Wikipedia hold themselves to the exact same standards. No obit (or at least death record or a post from a reliable source) = no proof that they’re actually dead.

Yeah I get it in the case of Taka but this obsession of getting a « qualifying obit » is weird to me. Of course not believing any wiki edit or a death rumour online is evident. I get the very purpose of obit ofc but this Chase of the perfect one… AND I KNOW THAT THIS IS BECAUSE I’M FRENCH THAT I THINK THAT WAY BECAUSE IN FRANCE IT DOESN’T WORK THAT WAY ;) 

24 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Yeah I get it in the case of Taka but this obsession of getting a « qualifying obit » is weird to me. Of course not believing any wiki edit or a death rumour online is evident. I get the very purpose of obit ofc but this Chase of the perfect one… AND I KNOW THAT THIS IS BECAUSE I’M FRENCH THAT I THINK THAT WAY BECAUSE IN FRANCE IT DOESN’T WORK THAT WAY ;) 

Yes, the person's fame does depend on the obit.  If no standard was set for obits, where would you draw the line? 

I could send you the death announcement of someone I knew, and a link to his funeral service that took place last week.  Proof of death, but he wasn't famous.

1 minute ago, Toast said:

Yes, the person's fame does depend on the obit.  If no standard was set for obits, where would you draw the line? 

I could send you the death announcement of someone I knew, and a link to his funeral service that took place last week.  Proof of death, but he wasn't famous.

Yeah but someone is famous because he/she has made something significant which brings him/her fame at one point. We don’t need obit to know who’s famous and who’s not, proof is we know someone is famous or not while they’re alive 

• Confused 3

26 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

“Qualifying obit” simply refers to entries of the Derby Dead Pool, which started decades ago. 

You have to set the bar somewhere otherwise the competition becomes unimaginative and rather pointless.

As the name suggests, it started in the UK (like a lot of deadpooling historically) hence why the QOs list are all UK sources.

• Like 3

On 11/01/2023 at 17:11, Ulitzer95 said:

Without an obituary when will he be able to posted on the Deaths in 2023 page on Wiki. And even the list of the of missed on DDP requires some evidence. 

42 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Without an obituary when will he be able to posted on the Deaths in 2023 page on Wiki. And even the list of the of missed on DDP requires some evidence. 

Well he won’t.

Obvs.

15 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Well he won’t.

Obvs.

So it will have to wait until probate or the GRO Index mentions him unless some sort of obituary or death notice appears. 

2 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

So it will have to wait until probate or the GRO Indsx mentions him unless some sort of obituary or death notice appears. 

Correct.

43 minutes ago, Summer in Transylvania said:
Enock Mwepu (Wiki). As reported on the Time Added thread, he has been hospitalised following a suspected heart attack.

I think with a case like this (Person reported to be admitted to hospital in possible serious condition.) any reports of a death on wiki before any source mentions it are probably vandalism. 

• Like 1