Sign in to follow this  
Boudicca

President (recumbent) Barack Obama

Well there were a few other issues I had with Palin. Overturning Roe v. Wade, Creationism in schools, putting her unborn SN child in jeopardy, her astounding ignorance - that sort of thing. Aerial shooting of wolves sounds pretty cool though.

Uppity Negroes TH? You need to put the boy in his place quick smart. Tell him you need a shine next time you see him, that should do the trick :)

Aaaand, he wins $100.00! I had a bet with a friend visiting here that even in England people associate the word "uppity" only with black people. It's a common word in the South, used more often towards peoples' own children than any race or creed. My apologies for any upset I might have caused any of you. I mourn and lament the loss of a very useful and descriptive word to the preconceptions and biases of apology. I will continue to be uppity, though, I consider it a virtue. Except when directed at me by my children.

I am not racist in the least. I am, however, possessing of degrees in both English (from an American university, so, not so much English as American) and Philosophy and I do have issues with people who butcher or hijack the language regardless of their heritage. Uppity is a colorful (from the standpoint of it's flavor and meaning) yet colorless (from the standpoint that it does not have a necessary racial indication) word, and I for one will continue to warn my step-son against being same.

I have tremendous respect for Obama as a speaker, as a person, and as a politician. He scares me from the standpoint that he is such an unknown quantity. I'm a "deeds not words" kind of guy, and all I can find about the President-elect's positions are his words. He seems to have a very contradictory history of deeds and associations. Nevertheless, I remain optimistic.

I voted the Objectivist Party, by the way. My vote was counted in California where I also voted against the ban on gay marriage, which, by the way, 85% of black voters voted for, which confuses and confounds me.

Another interesting statistic being ignored by the media, and that confuses and confounds me, is that 98% of black voters voted for Obama. Sorry, but that's racism. Statistically proven racism, as well.

I will fade back into obscure monitoring again now, but thanks for the hundred bucks.

Interesting views on language there. So why use gay in that way? Not that long ago, we would all have wanted a gay wedding. Just like the Flintstones wanted a gay old time.

... even in England people associate the word "uppity" only with black people. ...

No, I associate it with the Roger Hargreaves character. He's purple, if that affects your little wager at all.

That's exactly who I thought of!

I am guessing this association could also be put into a UK context in terms of class with those uppity ponces who went to Eton / Harrow (insert school of choice here) and us normal folk.

What, I can't say ponce? Nor normal either? Dagnam this political correctness. Next you'll be telling me that Homebase choose to display a fine selection of 4x2 in the 'spade' section.

I'm a mick and a honky. I'm also a sissy, I sleep with girls.

You could be a lesbian. Although I will not call you that for fear of upsetting the good folk of Lesbos.

It's obviously only a matter of time before you lot become lardist as well.

The election is over.

The results are known.

The will of the people is clearly shown.

Let’s forget the quarrels and show by our deeds,

we’ll give all our leaders all the help they’ll need.

So, let’s all get together and let bitterness pass,

I’ll hug your elephant, and you kiss my ass.

Is it just me, or does Lyndon Johnson have the look of Richard Nixon? :)

Because women don't like other women in the public eye. Reality TV shows regularly have women voting off other women.

There's a certain truth that women are very critical of other women, although I would probably draw the line at "reality" shows having squat to do with life its ownself.

However, we are also far less likely to notice her legs in stilletos to the exclusion of hearing what comes out of her mouth.

Because women don't like other women in the public eye. Reality TV shows regularly have women voting off other women.

There's a certain truth that women are very critical of other women, although I would probably draw the line at "reality" shows having squat to do with life its ownself.

However, we are also far less likely to notice her legs in stilletos to the exclusion of hearing what comes out of her mouth.

Wha'? She got stilletos an' stuff comes outta her mouth? Sheesh.

According to the London Liar Lite newspaper, Paddy Power is offering odds of 12-1 (down from 16's) that Obama will be assassinated during his first term. It doesn't appear to be on their website a 12-1 shot, but they do offer a tasty 50-1 that the new Prez will declare the moon landings were faked.

Is he a secret Halibut?

Is this a question? A witty comment perhaps? Is there some irony I'm missing? What the f**k does religion have to do with any of this?

Oh, first post, sorry Wobbles. Welcome to Deathlist where anything goes, even poor grammar, non-existent punctuation, religious bigotry and barely disguised racial overtones. We're a broad church, or should I say mosque.

:)

being from london many are undercover Halibut terrorist

Is he a secret Halibut?

Is this a question? A witty comment perhaps? Is there some irony I'm missing? What the f**k does religion have to do with any of this?

Oh, first post, sorry Wobbles. Welcome to Deathlist where anything goes, even poor grammar, non-existent punctuation, religious bigotry and barely disguised racial overtones. We're a broad church, or should I say mosque.

:)

being from london many are undercover Halibut terrorist

Just as all those Irish in London in the 1970s IRA card-carriers? <_<

If something like this were done with Obama everyone would be screaming racism.

bush_monkey.jpg

....pictures of white guy and ape etc...

Racism is part of our past; it's a sad, tired relic from the days of our fathers and grandfathers. Time to put it to rest, I think.

bush_monkey.jpg

Yes, and quite rightly so. It's about context. You make no sensible point.

Guest Incitement

bush_monkey.jpg

Oh I like these things, is this a Where's Wally Banshee's competition?

So comparing a white man to a chimpanzee with the intent to ridicule is okay, but it's not okay if the subject being ridiculed is black? Yeah, context allows for double standards all the time.

Bottom line is that Obama was elected more because he is black than in spite of it. 98% of black voters in the US voted for him, and most polled admitted it was because of his race. That's racism. The guy I voted for is white, but I didn't vote for him because he is white, I voted for him (not McCain) because he represented my views. Obama has stayed intentionally vague since his first foray into politics. I don't know what he stands for or intends to do. That kinda scares me.

So comparing a white man to a chimpanzee with the intent to ridicule is okay, but it's not okay if the subject being ridiculed is black? Yeah, context allows for double standards all the time.

Bottom line is that Obama was elected more because he is black than in spite of it. 98% of black voters in the US voted for him, and most polled admitted it was because of his race. That's racism. The guy I voted for is white, but I didn't vote for him because he is white, I voted for him (not McCain) because he represented my views. Obama has stayed intentionally vague since his first foray into politics. I don't know what he stands for or intends to do. That kinda scares me.

If you really don't know or understand why they are two different things then I pity you.

Your post sounds like one of those "I'm not a racist..." posts that racists make.

Be happy that you have a president who may make your country respected again in the wider world, McCain would not have.

I'm bored and will bite at the risk of Harry winning another $100 / £3.50 :)

Here's another example of something which would be racist if Obama were to be depicted:

palinhanging1narrowweb3gh6.th.jpgthpix.gif

There has been no historical tradition of hanging white women purely on the basis of their skin colour. It is not so common that a word exists to describe such an act. See the difference?

If you really don't know or understand why they are two different things then I pity you.

Your post sounds like one of those "I'm not a racist..." posts that racists make.

Be happy that you have a president who may make your country respected again in the wider world, McCain would not have.

Well, then, as long as you think so I'll change my opinion. Obviously I don't "know or understand" and as such am deserving of your pity. I see now that you are correct and that the Emperor is finely clothed.

Well, then, as long as you think so I'll change my opinion. Obviously I don't "know or understand" and as such am deserving of your pity. I see now that you are correct and that the Emperor is finely clothed.

Great, we agree. Glad to have helped.