Banshees Scream

So .. What Do You Watch On TV?

Just now, RoverAndOut said:

Does the host in the States (whoever it is now it's not Trebek) add contextual information to answers? It feels like it would, but I'm not sure how it fits into the shorter timespan. Stephen Fry spends a minute here and there giving us more info about an answer. But it's definitely a little more cerebral than most afternoon gameshows ITV trot out. How many boards do they play in the US? 2 and the final question I'm guessing?

Current host is Ken Jennings. Previously the most successful Jeopardy contestant, and the road to him becoming permanent Jeopardy host was a very convoluted one you could write a book on but I'm glad it ended up with him as he is very much the best choice. Nails the "feels like he knows all the answers" vibe that Trebek had, and very witty as well.

Further information may be given, especially during Final Jeopardy, though it's always going to be a few seconds of discussing it. Plus if a contestant gives a reasonable wrong answer Ken might explain the connection of the wrong answer to the right answer.

Two boards (regular first round, plus Double Jeopardy where point values are doubled) and final Jeopardy is correct.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Has anyone watched The Traitors before and is it worth watching S2?

14 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

Definitely. I absolutely loved S1 of The Traitors! Really looking forward to the start of this one this evening, though the game will almost certainly be a fair bit different to the first series so that the cast can't have such a pre-planned strategy.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Death Impends said:

Current host is Ken Jennings. Previously the most successful Jeopardy contestant, and the road to him becoming permanent Jeopardy host was a very convoluted one you could write a book on but I'm glad it ended up with him as he is very much the best choice. Nails the "feels like he knows all the answers" vibe that Trebek had, and very witty as well.

Further information may be given, especially during Final Jeopardy, though it's always going to be a few seconds of discussing it. Plus if a contestant gives a reasonable wrong answer Ken might explain the connection of the wrong answer to the right answer.

Two boards (regular first round, plus Double Jeopardy where point values are doubled) and final Jeopardy is correct.

Wasn't it also hosted by the lady who played Amy in the Big Bang Theory for a while? And she's a qualified neurobiologist so can actually boast being more cerebral than Stephen Fry. 

Just now, Sod's Law said:

Wasn't it also hosted by the lady who played Amy in the Big Bang Theory for a while? And she's a qualified neurobiologist so can actually boast being more cerebral than Stephen Fry. 

Yes. Mayim Bialik. She and Ken were rotating hosts for a couple years but just this past month she's gone down to only hosting side versions like Celebrity Jeopardy.

She was competent enough but Ken outclassed her easily.

• Like 1

About to watch the Darts final. 28yo PDC No.1 Luke Humphries vs 16-going-on-50yo giant killer Luke Littler. Gonna be a banger of a match. Prediction: if Humphries gets a set ahead he’ll win.

I think it’s also the legend that is Russ ‘The Voice’ Bray’s last outing as ref before semi-retiring to doing just World Series games. The voice that made you instantly think Formula 1 is Murray Walker, for football it was John Motson, for snooker it was Ted Lowe and for darts it’s Russ Bray.

26 minutes ago, TQR said:

About to watch the Darts final. 28yo PDC No.1 Luke Humphries vs 16-going-on-50yo giant killer Luke Littler. Gonna be a banger of a match. Prediction: if Humphries gets a set ahead he’ll win.

I think it’s also the legend that is Russ ‘The Voice’ Bray’s last outing as ref before semi-retiring to doing just World Series games. The voice that made you instantly think Formula 1 is Murray Walker, for football it was John Motson, for snooker it was Ted Lowe and for darts it’s Russ Bray Sid Waddell.

I guess it depends on your age.

Just now, time said:

I guess it depends on your age.

It’s got to be Russ Bray. His match calling is more recognisable than anyone in the commentary box.

4 minutes ago, TQR said:

It’s got to be Russ Bray. His match calling is more recognisable than anyone in the commentary box.

He's not even close to being as distinctive as Waddell's commentary. That's my opinion, and you won't persuade me otherwise.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

5 hours ago, ladyfiona said:

I haven't seen it before but going to give series 2 a go to see what all the fuss is about.

Mind you, I did the same with The Tourist and that was shit.

Edit - I enjoyed it for the most part. I have a phobia of owls though so had to close my eyes whenever it was screen. Is that in every episode?

50 minutes ago, TQR said:

Russ Bray gargles gravel before every match he calls.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TQR said:

Gonna be a banger of a match. Prediction: if Humphries gets a set ahead he’ll win.

Well, I was right, despite Littler being one dart away fron being 5-2 up at one point. But Humphries has won the World GP, Grand Slam, Player's Championship, and now the PDC World Championship after a 19-win streak, all since October...there's no stopping the world no.1. What a game.

14 minutes ago, TQR said:

Well, I was right, despite Littler being one dart away fron being 5-2 up at one point. But Humphries has won the World GP, Grand Slam, Player's Championship, and now the PDC World Championship after a 19-win streak, all since October...there's no stopping the world no.1. What a game.

Great match. Darts is in a good place at the moment, lots of great players. Luke Littler has really put the cat among the pidgeons and some of the "old" guard are going to have to up their game in the coming years.

• Like 1

Whilst the element of surprise is slightly dimmed in series 2 of The Traitors in UK, its still compelling viewing. Loving Diane the new mistress of confusion with the (won't say) and as for one of the Traitors.....they're going to win this series. 

• Like 2

The Tourist series 2. Tbh I don't think the Irish tourist industry will be especially thankful for this series. I'm sure there are normal people somewhere in Ireland but they're nowhere to be seen on this. 

2 minutes ago, Sod's Law said:

The Tourist series 2. Tbh I don't think the Irish tourist industry will be especially thankful for this series. I'm sure there are normal people somewhere in Ireland but they're nowhere to be seen on this. 

I was persuaded to watch this as everyone said how good the first series was. It's terrible. 

Was series 1 better or do I just not get it?

1 minute ago, Handrejka said:

I was persuaded to watch this as everyone said how good the first series was. It's terrible. 

Series 1 was better, yep, and could have worked very well as a standalone series. The scenery stood out and the characters felt less like cartoons in that one. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Handrejka said:

It started off OK, but they were obviously going for the Fargo vibe and it didn't come off for me.

Which reminds me, I'm currently watching S5 of Fargo which is continuing weekly on Prime.  Two more episodes to come.

I like to give a middle finger (or a two finger salute if you prefer) to Freevee TV.  I began watching one of your ancient UK exports; to wit, Mind Your Language. I rather enjoyed it.  There were 3 seasons and I was on my last (14th?) episode season 1, and the day before Christmas I sit down to watch, seeing as I had time, and it was gone!  They pulled it.  Twats.

1 hour ago, Toast said:

It started off OK, but they were obviously going for the Fargo vibe and it didn't come off for me.

Which reminds me, I'm currently watching S5 of Fargo which is continuing weekly on Prime.  Two more episodes to come.

I'd seen someone mention this elsewhere and promptly forgot about it. I've watched the first couple of episodes - so far so good! Then I must go back and watch S4, which for some reason I never watched; saw the first episode but it didn't 'grab' me as the previous seasons/series/stories had.

I've just finished Fresh Meat (Netflix) which I'd never seen before. Mostly good.

1 hour ago, time said:

Then I must go back and watch S4, which for some reason I never watched; saw the first episode but it didn't 'grab' me as the previous seasons/series/stories had.

General consensus was S4 was shite.  I made several attempts at watching it, but could never get into it.

11 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

I like to give a middle finger (or a two finger salute if you prefer) to Freevee TV.  I began watching one of your ancient UK exports; to wit, Mind Your Language. I rather enjoyed it.  There were 3 seasons and I was on my last (14th?) episode season 1, and the day before Christmas I sit down to watch, seeing as I had time, and it was gone!  They pulled it.  Twats.

I remember Mind Your Language when it was originally on. Fair to say it is a wee bit dated.

18 hours ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Mr. Bates vs The Post Office 

Great TV but absolutely blood boiling 

https://news.sky.com/story/mr-bates-vs-the-post-office-the-true-story-behind-drama-on-horizon-it-scandal-13042137

We watched this, absolutely shocking.  We were equally incensed at the Hillsborough drama a year or two back.

Absolute cunts the lot of them, and how that goofy bitch Vennells has the gall to hang on to that CBE, I ask you.  She needs a right kicking.  But then she was a priest, so we shouldn’t really be surprised that she’s a scheming, lying sack of shit.   There’s only one good priest on earth and that’s Father Brown. 

• Like 3

Looking forward to this