themaninblack

Death Anniversary Thread

And for the SF geeks among us... this chap in 2007.

jose-chung-x-files.jpg?w=625

Not Lord Kinbote.

• Like 1

Just looked and nary a person worth an honest fuck has died on May 25 (in multiples of 5 years); maybe someone will change that today.

SC

Sonny Boy Williamson II died 50 years ago (May 25th)

May 26th

1995 - Fritz Freleng

2005 - Eddie Albert

2010 - Art Linkletter

May 26th

1995 - Fritz Freleng

2005 - Eddie Albert

2010 - Art Linkletter

Intersesting in that Albert and Linkletter looked quite a bit alike.

Pete Zezel (a pretty good hockey player) 2010 also.

SC

Just looked and nary a person worth an honest fuck has died on May 25 (in multiples of 5 years); maybe someone will change that today.

SC

Not even Gustav Holst? or Vic Tayback?

Just to annoy SC: today in 1703 (so 312, a multiple of 13, years ago) English naval administrator, MP and diarist Samuel Pepys died, aged 70.

410px-Samuel_Pepys.jpg

• Like 4

Guest awesome guest

9 years ago today Paul Gleason died of lung cancer aged 67. He was an american actor best known for his role in the breakfast club

Just to annoy SC: today in 1703 (so 312, a multiple of 13, years ago) English naval administrator, MP and diarist Samuel Pepys died, aged 70.410px-Samuel_Pepys.jpg

Lol I love you too :-)

Hey if we post any old date then we'd post the same names every single year.

SC

30 years ago, Roy Plomley, Desert Island Discs maestro.

Just to annoy SC: today in 1703 (so 312, a multiple of 13, years ago) English naval administrator, MP and diarist Samuel Pepys died, aged 70.410px-Samuel_Pepys.jpg

Lol I love you too :-)

Hey if we post any old date then we'd post the same names every single year.

SC

I take great care to post death anniversaries of people who haven't been posted about earlier. I assure you there is no lack of those, also ones with a picture on Wikipedia Commons. :D

What is slightly more difficult is that I also want them to be meaningful for me. In the case of Pepys, it's because I read an annotated edition of his diary.

5 years ago today - Gary Coleman

OB-IR145_0528gc_NS_20100528161804.jpg

5 years ago today, Dennis Hopper died at the age of 74

Hopper_Rider.jpg

A day to remember a couple of painters:

Peter Paul Rubens (375 years)

François Boucher (245 years)

SC

As its FA Cup Final day, a mention for Ted Drake,

31708.jpg

who once scored seven goals for Arsenal against Aston Villa. Died 20 years ago today(aged 82), as did Bobby Stokes (aged 44),

sou_044_bobby_stokes.JPG

who scored the winner for Southampton against Manchester United in the '76 final.

Today in 2005 Natalee Holloway, an 18 year old American high school student, disappeared while on holiday on Aruba, a Caribbean island and country of the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Natalee_Holloway_yearbook_photo.jpg

She was never seen again, her remains were never found and in 2012 she was declared legally dead. Her disappearance led to a long investigation, in which the prime suspect was Dutchman Joran van der Sloot, but no charges were brought against him.

Today in 2010 Stephany Flores, a 21 year old business student from Peru, was killed in a hotel room in Lima, Peru.

Stephany_Flores.jpg

The hotel room was registered to Joran van der Sloot, and in 2012 he was convicted for her murder to 28 years in prison. Apparently American authorities want a word with him after his eventual release.

2 years ago, Jean Stapleton famous for playing the sweet Edith Bunker on "All In The Family" and "Archie Bunker's Place" died aged 90.
Her character was famously killed off in 1980, the begining of Season 2 of "Archie Bunker's Place".

220px-Jean_Stapleton_1977.JPG

Oh, also, 6 years ago, Millvina Dean aged 97. She was the last Titanic survivor, but she was only a few months old and obviously didn't remember anything.

275px-Millvina_dean-april_1999.jpg

Two musicians died on this day 15 years ago.

Tito Puente, 77, Mambo and latin jazz musician.

14129.jpg

Johnnie Taylor, 62, Soul and R&B singer, best known for his songs 'Who's Making Love' and 'Disco Lady'.

36864e7b2d29ec8a4aea811407bb3.jpg

Oh, also, 6 years ago, Millvina Dean aged 97. She was the last Titanic survivor, but she was only a few months old and obviously didn't remember anything.

C'mon RadGuy, it's multiples of 5 or otherwise we would post not only a ghastly pile of obits daily, but the same ghastly pile of obits every year. Look at all the other posts -- multiples of 5.

SC

C'mon RadGuy, it's multiples of 5 or otherwise we would post not only a ghastly pile of obits daily, but the same ghastly pile of obits every year. Look at all the other posts -- multiples of 5.

SC

Calm the fuck down, you sound like a cross between Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory and David Starkey during a particularly bad hemorrhoid outbreak.

Anyway.... some more June 1st deaths

In 1868, James Buchanan, US president from 1857-1861. His inaction on the issue of slavery is sometimes blamed for the eventual civil war.

220px-James_Buchanan.jpg

On June 1st 1960, Hitler's sister........ Paula (LOL) died age 64. Last surviving member of his family apparently.

6973853_1040680354.jpg

Paula Hitler.smileyslaughing_lol_rofl__100-101.gif?w=

And Austrian racing driver Jo Gartner was killed when he violently crashed at about 2 in the morning on June 1st, during the 1986 Le Mans 24 hour race. He had half a season in F1 in 1984, driving an uncompetitive Osella car.

• Like 2

One more June 1st death - from 1 year ago - Ann B. Davis aged 88, famous for playing Alice the housekeeper on "The Brady Bunch".
220px-Ann_B._Davis_1973.jpg

June 2: Rex Harrison - 25 years ago.

SC

6 years ago today fantasy author David Eddings died at the age of 77.

• Like 1

6 years ago today, David Carradine found dead at the age of 72 from autoerotic asphyxiation.

I remember seeing this one the news when I was on a lunch break from a training seminar at work. Now I'm back working again in the same building.

• Like 1