themaninblack

Death Anniversary Thread

On this day 40 years ago aged 69 Hannah Arendt died. An apposite time for reflection on the banality of evil.

hannah-arendt.jpg

Cardinal Richelieu of Monty Python fame: 373 years. It's Monty Python, it's allowed.

Inventor of one of the 20 most important inventions ever, the electric motor, William Sturgeon, 165 years.​

William_Sturgeon.jpg

On 6 December 343 Saint Nicholas, Greek Bishop of Myra in modern Turkey, died, aged 73.

This anniversery is celebrated in the Netherlands as Sinterklaas the night before, the main occasion for giving gifts and pulling legs.

408px-Sinterklaas_2007.jpg

• Like 2

Quite a big deaths on this day, Mozart, Monet and Alexandre Dumas to name three but as Native Americans have been a bit under represented in this thread I'll mention this chap.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gall_(Native_American_leader)

and some chap named Mandela

Never realized this (or heard of this fellow) till just now, but did you know the Carter Administration's US Ambassador to South Africa (1978-81), William B. Edmondson, died on the SAME DAY as Nelson Mandela?! That's incredible coincidence.

SC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_B._Edmondson

• Like 1

I'm shocked you missed Joseph Erlanger who died this day 50 years ago aged 91.

joseph-erlanger.jpg

joseph-erlanger.jpg

I saw him. Meh

joseph-erlanger.jpg

I saw him. Meh

OK, there was a pun in there was it too deep?

It's been 2 years since the passing of former South African president Nelson Mandela aged 95.

75567-004-6585DB51.jpg

Quite a big deaths on this day, Mozart, Monet and Alexandre Dumas to name three but as Native Americans have been a bit under represented in this thread I'll mention this chap.

Hang on Time. That's officially died. So many rumours point to him dying about 6 weeks before and the news being kept under wraps so as to better organise the funeral and not look under prepared. Then we watched it, and found that they were still under prepared, what with the guy doing the funny sign language performance.

Baseball day today (12/6)!

Honus Wagner - 60 years

Burleigh Grimes - 30 years

Hang on Time. That's officially died. So many rumours point to him dying about 6 weeks before and the news being kept under wraps so as to better organise the funeral and not look under prepared. Then we watched it, and found that they were still under prepared, what with the guy doing the funny sign language performance.

Well we can only go on official notification; that's how deathpools work innit? :(

William Bligh of H.M.S. Bounty fame and the 4th Governor of New South Wales set sail into the sunset on this day in 1817 aged 63.

WilliamBligh.jpeg

William Bligh of H.M.S. Bounty fame and the 4th Governor of New South Wales set sail into the sunset on this day in 1817 aged 63.

WilliamBligh.jpeg

Some people are just born to be unpopular. Sounds so much like "blithe" for a start.

Mrs. Thursday tidied away her mop and bucket for the last time as actress Kathleen Harrison died on this day in 1995 aged 103.

220px-Kathleen_Harrison.jpg

Today in 1944 Polish Spitfire pilot (302 Sqdn RAF) Daniel Napiórkowski died in a German naval hospital at Rotterdam after he was shot down by Flak and crashed near Schipluiden, aged 24.

na.p.jpg

I noticed this fact when I walked past his grave at Crooswijk Cemetary in Rotterdam this morning.

napiorkowski.jpg

• Like 2

Robert Graves penned his last at the age of 90 on this date in 1985

Robert_Graves.jpg

Robert Graves penned his last at the age of 90 on this date in 1985

Robert_Graves.jpg

Goodbye to all that!

• Like 1

35 years ago today.... John Lennon

p01br0nw.jpg

Whenever the anniversary of Lennon's death comes up, it reminds me of the "Did you know..?" section from Zit Comic.

"Did you know John Lennon? Mark Chapman did. He read a book Catcher in The Rye, heard a song Watching The Wheels, bought a gun, and made his acquaintance.

If you've read a book or heard a song that's changed your life, give the Zit office a call and we'll give you Ringo Starr's address."

I should also add that the song "Imagine" features high on my list of songs I can go the rest of my life without ever needing to hear again.

• Like 1

Lord Scarman was a DL hit 11 years ago today.

• Like 1

Christopher Ingold felt his last resonance effect this day 45 years ago aged 77.

220px-Christopher_Kelk_Ingold_portrait.j

• Like 1