themaninblack

Death Anniversary Thread

15 years ago today the Quine family realised the traditional discussion of semantic holism over xmas dinner wasn't going to happen, as William died aged 92.

220px-Wvq-passport-1975-400dpi-crop.jpg

• Like 1

Christmas party pooper Samuel de Champlain, the 'Father of Canada', or at least first person to accurately map it - 380 years ago.

15 years ago today the Quine family realised the traditional discussion of semantic holism over xmas dinner wasn't going to happen, as William Willard

died aged 92.

They could have had a hands-on conversation on the statement "No dead man is alive."

10 years ago today Rupert Murdoch got the best Christmas present he could dream of his life long rival Kerry packer dying aged 68. Now if only the grim reaper would set it right and make sure Mr Murdoch died or preferably Tony abott.

• Like 1

20 Christmases ago, Dean Martin passed. I hope he got to listen to some of his Christmas cover songs on his deathbed.

MV5BMTI0NzgzMjg4OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNzgy

• Like 1

20 Christmases ago, Dean Martin passed. I hope he got to listen to some of his Christmas cover songs on his deathbed.

No way I missed him, and no way I'd have forgotten he died on Christmas (see James Brown).

SC

Edit: I'll be damned!

No way I missed him, and no way I'd have forgotten he died on Christmas (see James Brown).

SC

Eartha Kitt also died on Christmas.

Singers just love dying on Christmas, eh?

20 Christmases ago, Dean Martin passed. I hope he got to listen to some of his Christmas cover songs on his deathbed.MV5BMTI0NzgzMjg4OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNzgy

SC

Eartha Kitt also died on Christmas.

Singers just love dying on Christmas, eh?

Vic chestnut.

Five years since the passing of the Ivory Queen of Soul Teena Marie aged 54/

220px-Teena_Marie.jpg

Guest Fresh Prince

11 years ago the "Boxing Day Tsunami" caused mass devastation and 250,000 deaths across 14 countries in South East Asia

thailand-asia-quake-tsunami.jpg

US_Navy_050102-N-9593M-040_A_village_nea

Reminds me of a potential disaster to come... Read only today that the Zambezi River Authority are worried about the foundations of the Kariba Dam being undermined by it's own sluice gate torrents creating a crater pool. Should the dam fail, then 3 and a half million people down river may be killed in the sudden inundation of flood waters in the following 8 hours, and about 40% of Southern Africa's power supply will go off line for a year or so.

Reminds me of a potential disaster to come... Read only today that the Zambezi River Authority are worried about the foundations of the Kariba Dam being undermined by it's own sluice gate torrents creating a crater pool. Should the dam fail, then 3 and a half million people down river may be killed in the sudden inundation of flood waters in the following 8 hours, and about 40% of Southern Africa's power supply will go off line for a year or so.

Total damage: $612.34

After 20 years we should accept it's not a joke, Jeremy Beadle died this day aged 39.

I thought he was referring to a Chris Morris stunt but my dates might be off.

Billy Taylor died this five years ago aged 89.UK residents will know I Wish I Knew How it Would Feel to be Free as the instrumental used for the Film ... show (Barry, Norman, Jonathan Ross etc).

300px-Billy_Taylor_%28jazz%29.jpg

Guest David Coalman

Piero the Unfortunate, a Medici ruler of Florence, drowned while fleeing from a battle scene on December 28 1503

B956Fz9IMAEs25e.jpg

According to legend 845 years ago Henry II uttered the phrase 'who will rid me of this troublesome priest?' and Thomas Beckett subsequently was murdered this day aged 50 (or maybe 51).

thomas-becket.jpg

555 years ago the Battle of Wakefield saw the demise of Richard of York and Edmund, Earl of Rutland.

And I find it hard to believe Saddam Hussein has been gone for 9 years already. I'm getting old fast.

SC

Raoul Walsh died this day 35 years ago aged 93. He directed one of my favourite films of all time, White Heat.

220px-Raoul_Walsh.jpg

• Like 1

Ricky Nelson - 30 years

lhasatop6.jpg

Singer-Songwriter Lhasa de Sela died of Breast Cancer 6 years ago today at age 37

Ray Walston of My Favorite Martian and South Pacific fame etc, 15 years. I loved this guy.

SC

• Like 1