themaninblack

Hooroo, Mate.

I'll be honest I thought it a pretty innocuous post and link to another in the long list of lung cancers, even if he danced that dance 20 years ago.  Hey, I'm not about to put  the best finds out  there the last few days before Cup rosters due....and thought this was nothing at all.  Goes to show...

On 4/30/2018 at 11:21, gcreptile said:

Fast track to Dignitas:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/apr/30/david-goodall-australia-oldest-scientist-to-end-own-life-in-switzerland

Edit: Obviously easiest deadpooling points ever - too bad I already submitted everything.

Maybe they aren't as easy as they seem, as doctors are threatening to stop him from going to Switzerland...

1 hour ago, Joey Russ said:

Maybe they aren't as easy as they seem, as doctors are threatening to stop him from going to Switzerland...

Their country has interesting laws if a physician can pull that off.  Is this a real life Catch-22  playing out?
"I'm not crazy" "Then why you wanna fly to Switzerland" "To kill myself' "You're crazy"

16 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Taken the airplane:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-43957874

Will there be live updates?

Edit: Though it seems upon closer reading that it's not explicitly stated that he has taken the plane, only that he has "bid farewell to fly". 

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

Taken the airplane:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-43957874

Will there be live updates?

Edit: Though it seems upon closer reading that it's not explicitly stated that he has taken the plane, only that he has "bid farewell to fly". 

@Cat O'Falk  Your services are required  :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well at least he was at the airport, and they say he booked a first class flight, so I guess he's actually on the plane.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/lifestyle/health-wellbeing/wa-academic-david-goodall-first-class-flight-to-switzerland-to-end-life-ng-b88824316z

Has it landed now? A plane from Perth to Bordeaux.

Would have been rich if plane dumped into the ocean.  

12 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Well at least he was at the airport, and they say he booked a first class flight, so I guess he's actually on the plane.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/lifestyle/health-wellbeing/wa-academic-david-goodall-first-class-flight-to-switzerland-to-end-life-ng-b88824316z

Has it landed now? A plane from Perth to Bordeaux.

It's difficult to tell. There are no direct flights from Perth to Bordeaux but I found an article saying he was going via Singapore. If that's the case he would fly on to a major European capital and then take a flight to Bordeaux. 

• Like 1

And once he gets there the laws of Switzerland don’t comport with his wishes.  104 isn’t a terminal illness any more than being born is (we all gonna die sometime).  Where is the clinic that has said they’ll do this?

4 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

And once he gets there the laws of Switzerland don’t comport with his wishes.  104 isn’t a terminal illness any more than being born is (we all gonna die sometime).  Where is the clinic that has said they’ll do this?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Cat O'Falk said:

It's difficult to tell. There are no direct flights from Perth to Bordeaux but I found an article saying he was going via Singapore. If that's the case he would fly on to a major European capital and then take a flight to Bordeaux. 

I read an article that suggests he was on flight SQ226 to Singapore which landed ahead of schedule. All immediate connecting flights to Europe have departed and landed. So unless he decided on a stopover in Singapore, he's on European soil.

• Thanks 1

On 5/1/2018 at 22:03, Sir Creep said:

Their country has interesting laws if a physician can pull that off.  Is this a real life Catch-22  playing out?
"I'm not crazy" "Then why you wanna fly to Switzerland" "To kill myself' "You're crazy"

And here we go....as predicted.

“Australia's oldest scientist and renowned academic David Goodall, must be judged to be of sound mind before he can end his life with a voluntary assisted dying program in Switzerland next week.”

But you see, there’s a Catch.  Catch 22.

SC

Hawke's in hospital:

"Australia's former prime minister Bob Hawke was admitted to a Sydney hospital on Monday night.

Mr Hawke's spokeswoman said reports that he was suffering from pneumonia or a stroke were false.

" … he has neither of those conditions," she said.

A Labor representative told the ABC the 88-year-old former Labor leader is "fine" and "just in hospital for some minor tests, nothing serious".

The representative said his condition was nothing more serious than "the 'wobbles'"."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-07/former-prime-minister-bob-hawke-admitted-to-hospital/9736344

Australian actress Cathy Godbold has died after suffering from a brain tumour for ten years. 

Must admit her name didn’t mean anything to me but I remember her dying on the beach in Home and Away with Blake back in the 90s. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5693751/Tragedy-Saddle-Club-Home-Away-actress-Cathy-Godbold-dies.html

Sort of surprised she held on as long as she did, but the former host of Australia's version of "The Weakest Link", Cornelia Frances has died.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv/actor-cornelia-frances-dead-at-77/news-story/493593f5715a20c25ff14e70d8c96908

I think I posted a link about her here once before with the same photo as in the linked article, but is that a living corpse or what?

It was a diffetent picture you posted, one with her in a hospital bed with tubes in the nose.

That photo though - eek, she looks mummified. 

Sad news. She was a great soap actress.

5 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

I had a real close eye on  him in Feb/Mar Cup months, but his reports were trending steady to positive to I quit paying attention.  I love when they say they beat C.  I swear I gotta have a Theme Team along those lines.

SC

I think this is third time he beat cancer iirc. I have the feeling that if it returns a fourth time though, he’s not going to make it out alive...

4 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

I think this is third time he beat cancer iirc. I have the feeling that if it returns a fourth time though, he’s not going to make it out alive...

Which is why I haven't enough eye rolls for Hugh Jackman and his FIVE separate melanomas.  Mmmm hmmm.  Prolly had a mole removes 'oh..CANCER".  Not to make light of it, but cmon.

Anyone who is wondering if we’re ever going to hear from Stuart Fraser again after his original diagnosis before his death can learn that he’ll make an appearance on the Screaming Jets latest album. Not an update on his health mind, but it does allow us to know that he has been doing something since the benefit concert...