themaninblack

Hooroo, Mate.

Won't lie, the Mail's dedicated Aussie section was my main rationale for picking Harry Beitzel this year. Though he was critically ill almost a year ago because of age reasons (rather than cancer ones) and still alive today, presumably making that gamble all for naught regardless of his obit chances. :unsure:

Aussie journalist/campaigner Adele Horin has updated her website to announce she is suffering from a recurrence of lung cancer and that her prognosis is poor. Her illness has been mentioned in the Daily Mail and I would imagine they will note her inevitable demise as well in their handy for deadpoolers Australian section.

Most deathpoolers will be hoping Someone Like Her,with late stage cancer will last long enough to see Skyfall for at least 6 or so more weeks so they can be Rolling In The Deep points in 2016.

During a discussion at work today about Captain Beaky looked up Keith Michell - turns 89 at the beginning of next month. Retired in 2010.

Sadly, he won't

• Like 2

Shite.

******takes pen and pad out*********

• Like 1

Bloody hell*, Keith Michell was one of my theme team jokers for 2016! And may I say, Hissing Sid was all over the playground when I was growing up.

Nevertheless, believe he's a DDP hit this year when there's a QO.

(*Ron Weasley)

During a discussion at work today about Captain Beaky looked up Keith Michell - turns 89 at the beginning of next month. Retired in 2010.

Sadly, he won't

Bloody Hell indeed (not Ron Weasley).

Will all of his six wives turn up to the funeral?

I don't have time to read through this whole thread (even though I'm sitting in alone on a Saturday night) but I'm assuming Australian media owner Reg Grundy (b. 1923) has been mentioned in this thread?

Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reg_Grundy

I don't have time to read through this whole thread (even though I'm sitting in alone on a Saturday night) but I'm assuming Australian media owner Reg Grundy (b. 1923) has been mentioned in this thread?

You are the first to mention him in this thread and indeed, anywhere on this site.

Aussie journalist/campaigner Adele Horin has updated her website to announce she is suffering from a recurrence of lung cancer and that her prognosis is poor. Her illness has been mentioned in the Daily Mail and I would imagine they will note her inevitable demise as well in their handy for deadpoolers Australian section.

Most deathpoolers will be hoping Someone Like Her,with late stage cancer will last long enough to see Skyfall for at least 6 or so more weeks so they can be Rolling In The Deep points in 2016.

Guardian reports her death. http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/nov/22/journalist-adele-horin-dies-aged-64-after-succumbing-to-lung-cancer

The Daily Mail has an Aussie section? Okie dokie.

You are the first to mention him in this thread and indeed, anywhere on this site.

The reason being that I thought he was already dead! :P

• Like 1

The Daily Mail has an Aussie section? Okie dokie.

Yes, the Guardian and the Daily Mail have both launched online Aussie editions in the last few years, spreading their crap to our shores. :( (Still, it beats the crap Murdoch was spewing out in his previous near-monopoly on our print media market.)

Reg Grundy made my personal 50 for the first time this year. No reason other than being old. Other random old Aussies on the watch list are Flo Bjelke-Peterson, Lou Richards, Sir Ninian Stephen (ex G-G) and Bob Hawke (turns 86 in a couple of weeks and seems to be aging rapidly). None of those are front page news I know.

My hit rate with random old Aussies is not great-I think Joyce Jacobs (Esme from A Country Practice) is the only Aussie hit I have struck who I picked purely on the basis of age.

• Like 1

One of the better shots for 2016 is Betty Cuthbert. The attached article is from May this year and certainly the timbre of the article suggests that she may be on the slide. Ironically, Ron Clarke is quoted and he died less than a month after the article's publication.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/life/weekend-australian-magazine/betty-cuthbert-multiple-sclerosis-and-the-gift-of-rhonda-gillam/story-e6frg8h6-1227346823288

• Like 1

Reg Grundy made my personal 50 for the first time this year. No reason other than being old. Other random old Aussies on the watch list are Flo Bjelke-Peterson, Lou Richards, Sir Ninian Stephen (ex G-G) and Bob Hawke (turns 86 in a couple of weeks and seems to be aging rapidly). None of those are front page news I know.

My hit rate with random old Aussies is not great-I think Joyce Jacobs (Esme from A Country Practice) is the only Aussie hit I have struck who I picked purely on the basis of age.

Yep, all of them except for Sir Ninian are on my list of Aussie suggestions for the Death List (which will know doubt be completely ignored by the Committee). :P

Australian politics is nuts!

Australian politics is nuts!

The last 5 years have been Rudd-Gillard-Rudd again-Abbott-Turnbull. Better than 5 straight years of Cameron or Blair...

Well, obviously more exciting. In most European countries (except maybe Italy), you rarely see politicians fall from grace without general elections. I will certainly miss Abbott's earthy sense of humour (concerning the Aboriginals etc.) and his "raw and honest" diplomatic style (shirtfronting Putin and the like).

Turnbull apparently has a bit of a temper so we will see how that turns out.

It is on again! Abbott starting to destabilise Turnbull, according to this opinion piece: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-10/sparrow-why-abbott-called-for-a-reform-of-islam/7015854

Carol Burns, best known for playing Franky Doyle in Prisoner: Cell Block H, but played many roles on stage and in various UK series such as The Bill, Taggart and Hannay, has died aged 68 from cancer. http://www.broadwayworld.com/australia-melbourne/article/Australian-Actress-Carol-Burns-Passes-Away-at-68-20151221

• Like 1

How the hell Prisoner Cell Block H hasn't it's own thread I do not know, but I'm somewhat new here

SC

Guest Guest

Carol Burns, best known for playing Franky Doyle in Prisoner: Cell Block H, but played many roles on stage and in various UK series such as The Bill, Taggart and Hannay, has died aged 68 from cancer. http://www.broadwayworld.com/australia-melbourne/article/Australian-Actress-Carol-Burns-Passes-Away-at-68-20151221

I am shocked and saddened by that news. I was a massive fan of Prisoner and she was one of the most iconic characters in it, even though she was only in the first 20 episodes she was constantly referred to for the rest of the 8 year series, a great testament to Carol Burns acting skills. R.I.P