Worthing Paul

The Chequered Flag

On 08/11/2021 at 09:05, The Immortal said:

I think the old Indycar drivers have done better in longevity and health compared to the F1 and NASCAR drivers.

You already mentioned Andretti but I will add he is still in incredible health for his age, still does tours at Indy speedway in a 2-seater Indycar.

Gordon Johncock (2 time Indy 500 winner) is still alive and is still in pretty good shape for an 85 year old man.

A.J Foyt (4 time Indy 500 winner) has had his close calls with death in recent years (like the time he was attacked by bees for example) but has been doing pretty good as of now and I can see him holding off the grim reaper for a couple more years.

Johnny Rutherford (3 time Indy 500 winner) looks incredibly amazing for his age and I definitely do not see him dying any time soon.

Al Unser Sr (4 time Indy 500 winner) also appears to be in great health as well seeing his recent photo while attending the 2021 Indy 500. Al's brother Bobby Unser was still in pretty good health around 2 years before his death. Even Parnelli Jones was active 4-5 years ago even though he is now in poor health.

Compared to 60s and 70s F1 and NASCAR winners, I think the 60s and 70s Indycar and Indy 500 winners have won the longevity race.

Parnelli Jones reportedly dead: https://racer.com/2024/06/04/parnelli-jones-1933-2024/

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

I’m happy to be corrected on this but I think this year is the first year there has been no fatalities at the TT since 1982. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Lard Bazaar said:

I’m happy to be corrected on this but I think this year is the first year there has been no fatalities at the TT since 1982. 

I couldn't remember if it was 82 or 83, thankfully last night Jack Petrie was said to be stable, I was worried as Handley's is not a place to go down!

6 minutes ago, One shot Paddy said:

I couldn't remember if it was 82 or 83, thankfully last night Jack Petrie was said to be stable, I was worried as Handley's is not a place to go down!

Yes, fingers crossed for a good outcome for him.  The TT is still one of the very few things that leaves me gawping open-mouthed at the telly.   I wonder how long before the health and safety warriors get it shut down. 

6 hours ago, Lard Bazaar said:

Yes, fingers crossed for a good outcome for him.  The TT is still one of the very few things that leaves me gawping open-mouthed at the telly.   I wonder how long before the health and safety warriors get it shut down. 

i've heard the reason the TT still goes on despite all the fatalities is the fact that the riders love what they do and knowingly accept the risk each year.

Horrible News as 9 year old motorcyclist Lorenzo Somaschini dies after a motorbike accident.

• Facepalm 1

11 minutes ago, wannamaker said:

Horrible News as 9 year old motorcyclist Lorenzo Somaschini dies after a motorbike accident.

Why the fuck are you a motorcyclist at 9?

• Like 10

On 18/06/2024 at 13:29, Joey Russ said:

Why the fuck are you a motorcyclist at 9?

Are you asking why a kid would ride a motorbike at 10 yrs old, in which case you and the 10 ‘likes’ are fucking idiots; or are you hopefully asking why is anyone at 9 years old being given a profession as a title just because he was riding a motorbike? 

7 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Are you asking why a kid would ride a motorbike at 10 yrs old, in which case you and the 10 ‘likes’ are fucking idiots; or are you hopefully asking why is anyone at 9 years old being given a profession as a title just because he was riding a motorbike? 

I guess this is a reasonable point, apart from the usual unneccessary insults. One can easily imagine kids wanting to ride motorbikes, however, the accompanying photo is the thing that is a bit of a shocker to me, it looks like full leathers and a bloody fast racing bike in the background, I can get my head around 9 year olds on mini monkey bike type motorbikes, but something like a moto GP thing capable of 100+? Not so much.

I know I'd rather have my 9 year old on a motorbike (though a 'little' one not bloody motoGP) than learning how (or in this case how not) to shoot a fucking Uzi. Which is from a while back in weird American behaviours.

3 hours ago, dirtracer18 said:

John Force remains in the ICU after a huge accident during an NHRA event Sunday morning.

75 years old and a lateral impact going over 300 miles per hour, lucky to survive honestly. A huge name in drag racing so most definitely will obit.

On 25/06/2024 at 01:26, The Immortal said:

75 years old and a lateral impact going over 300 miles per hour, lucky to survive honestly. A huge name in drag racing so most definitely will obit.

Out of ICU now. The “Force” is strong with him.

https://www.espn.com/racing/story/_/id/40502737/nhra-great-john-force-neurological-intensive-care

The crashes Gordon Johncock suffered in his career combined with old age have taken it's toll and he has difficulty breathing now. Another source says he has only one lung properly functioning so he doesn't attend IndyCar races to avoid potential lung infections. https://99wfmk.com/gordon-johncock-of-hastings/

Someone on X met NASCAR driver Bobby Allison in February 2024 and took a photo with him, in a wheelchair but otherwise seems to be alright. I might note that Allison is another racer who suffers from the long term effects of a severe racing crash.

• Like 1

On 16/05/2024 at 18:44, Octopus of Odstock said:

I've been keeping this to myself for a while but it's now becoming clear Rupert Keegan's chances of reaching 2025 are pretty slim.

He's very ill with cancer, but he has also never lived a very healthy lifestyle.

Certainly worth considering for the Deathlist Cup, and if he makes the 1st January, he's going right in at the top of the DDP picks.

Latest is Keegan will probably be dead by mid-September. Don't think he's going to make DDP starting grid.

On 21/07/2024 at 21:55, Octopus of Odstock said:

Dave Aldana Wiki - former AMA motocross and motorbike racer has died, aged 74. 

http://www.autonewsinfo.com/2024/07/21/deces-de-dave-aldana-ancien-champion-moto-us-472610.html

Aldana isn't dead.

In fact, he's posted about it on Facebook, says he's fine (he looks fantastic tbf!), and has said that he tried to contact the administrator of that site to remove the article.

• Shocked 2

9 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Aldana isn't dead.

In fact, he's posted about it on Facebook, says he's fine (he looks fantastic tbf!), and has said that he tried to contact the administrator of that site to remove the article.

This is a man about to turn 75. If I look nearly as good as this when I get to that age I’d be delighted.

IMG_7196.jpeg