Notaxman12

Deathlist 2010 Feedback

:) Why not just pick people over 100? And the picks under 85 aren't even that interesting. Finally, why do the mods insist on including Eli Wallach...he will die someday I guess and they don't want to miss it. Overall, not a very interesting list. Why not bring back Ruby Mohammid?

Can I point out that the mods have no say in this, we are here to moderate, which we do, deleting spam and sorting out everyday posts and putting them in the right thread. Who goes on the list is not part of our criteria, that's for the committee, most of whom are not regular contributors to this site.

well that destroys my imaginings of how this place runs. I was under the illusion that you all got together for a game of darts every other Tuesday and which ever images landed the most darts over the year got on the list.

Guest Davy Jones' Locker
<_< Why not just pick people over 100? And the picks under 85 aren't even that interesting. Finally, why do the mods insist on including Eli Wallach...he will die someday I guess and they don't want to miss it. Overall, not a very interesting list. Why not bring back Ruby Mohammid?

Can I point out that the mods have no say in this, we are here to moderate, which we do, deleting spam and sorting out everyday posts and putting them in the right thread. Who goes on the list is not part of our criteria, that's for the committee, most of whom are not regular contributors to this site.

well that destroys my imaginings of how this place runs. I was under the illusion that you all got together for a game of darts every other Tuesday and which ever images landed the most darts over the year got on the list.

Strangely enough, I had visualised almost exactly the same thing... I thought all you Poms on this site just gathered together for your yearly get-together at the local pub on New Years' Eve and, after a few pints and, yes, games of darts, you debated the merits of the shortlist and picked your top fifty (or drew the names out of hat or something) and reminisced over the "Cary Grant" days. My illusion is shattered. :D

So is anyone on this forum at all actually a member of this mysterious committee??? :blush:

So is anyone on this forum at all actually a member of this mysterious committee??? <_<

Yes there are.

Guest paddyfool

This isn't a criticism, but I'll admit to being struck by how many over-80s are on that list. Is it the oldest so far, on average?

I was under the illusion that you all got together for a game of darts every other Tuesday and which ever images landed the most darts over the year got on the list.

That's not a bad idea, maybe we'll try that for the 2011 list.

Angela Lansbury. Hmmmm, what were we thinking? Is it too late to claim it's just a (poor) misspelling of Ronnie James Dio? Must have been the beer talking. Come to think of it, the beer probably selected 5-10 of the picks for us.

Oh well, if we get to a baker's dozen or so we'll call it another good year.

Well Its nearly August and Only 3 hits.

Well indeed. Here's what previous lists have done since the 50 name format was introduced, going into August:

1994 - 7

1995 - 5

1996 - 7

1997 - 3 (6 hits in the last 5 months)

1998 - 6

1999 - 6

2000 - 9

2001 - 7

2002 - 8

2003 - 8

2004 - 5

2005 - 8

2006 - 7

2007 - 7

2008 - 10

2009 - 6

So yes, it looks as if the Deathlist is heading for its poorest year since 1998...

So yes, it looks as if the Deathlist is heading for its poorest year since 1998...

It is indeed look quite pitiful at the moment, but DeathList has a history of setting things right (at least to some extent) over the full year. There have a been a few instances over the years where there have been 3 (or more) successes in the space of a week or so. Clearly (well...maybe) that's what 2010 has in store for us.

The longer the drought, the bigger the storm when it comes...or that's my theory anyway :)

It is indeed look quite pitiful at the moment, but DeathList has a history of setting things right (at least to some extent) over the full year. There have a been a few instances over the years where there have been 3 (or more) successes in the space of a week or so. Clearly (well...maybe) that's what 2010 has in store for us.

The longer the drought, the bigger the storm when it comes...or that's my theory anyway :)

1997 is a case in point. I shouldn't be the one to grumble though...my DDP score is fucking awful at the moment!

Yeah. The deathlist couldve stuck some of the sickos in there and had some easy points. (Dio and Higgins)

I think the performance of this year's list is representative of 2010 in general.

Pretty shit.

I don't think DeLaurentiis, Wisdom, Smith, MacCorkindale and Fignon will make it to the end of this year.

Not a bad list this year. I reckon we will break the record. I think we will have 18 deaths successes this year!

Looks like I'll be forced to eat my words. Mind you, we still have over 4 months to go.

I don't think Niemeyer, Gabor, Al Megrahi, Jong Il, Mandela, Priebke and Fignon will make it to the end of this year.

That would make for a big year right there. The world would stop for 24 hours upon hearing the news of Mandela's death, and if Kim's twice-as-loony 26 year-old son takes over North Korea, a war could be in store.

I think we may have about 12 hits this year I think the Remaining 9 Hits will be: Neimeyer, Ford, Sykes, Al-Megrahi, Jong-Il, Domino, Biggs, Lewis and DeLaurentis

but this is a compleet guess

Funny enough, I'm doing pretty well individually. I have 5 of 20 hits so far.

Though I think you guys easily missed the boat with Dio, Rubinstein, and Byrd. That's 3 more hits there. You guys could've had up to 6 already. Heck, you guys could've had up to 8 w/ Steinbrenner and John Wooden, though those two probably aren't particularly well known in the UK, I guess.

Well, its already the last month of the year on ony 8 hits, worst performance in 12 years

Guest msc

The deathlist could have done worse - it could have picked people like Miley Cyrus after all... :pop:

It would be good to have a rule restricting the number of people aged over 80. If it is just a list of soft targets who are relatively obscure, it is less interesting. I guess Carey Grant was 82 when he started this whole lark so it is in the spirit of the game to have geezers but maybe you could restrict the list to having only, say, 20% of the people over 80 (10 out of 50). That way, you still have room for favourite geriatrics like Thatcher, the Pope, Ronald Biggs, Clive Dunn and maybe the Queen and some Hollywood types like Gabor, de Havilland or Angela Lansbury whilst making the rest of the list more exciting by punting on youngsters like Winehouse, Michael Douglas, Derryn Hinch, etc.

It would be good to have a rule restricting the number of people aged over 80. If it is just a list of soft targets who are relatively obscure, it is less interesting. I guess Carey Grant was 82 when he started this whole lark so it is in the spirit of the game to have geezers but maybe you could restrict the list to having only, say, 20% of the people over 80 (10 out of 50). That way, you still have room for favourite geriatrics like Thatcher, the Pope, Ronald Biggs, Clive Dunn and maybe the Queen and some Hollywood types like Gabor, de Havilland or Angela Lansbury whilst making the rest of the list more exciting by punting on youngsters like Winehouse, Michael Douglas, Derryn Hinch, etc.

As the idea of the deathlist is to predict 50 people who may die in that year, it seems reasonable to me to include a fair amount of people who may achieve that through 'old age'. If the number of 'over 80's' is restricted to 10, that leaves 40 spaces to fill with what? Terminally ill people? People with high-risk lifestyles? Whichever way you do it, someone will come along and say its loaded too far in favour of one particular demographic.

A further thought. The opening post in this thread was complaining about the number of over 80's, suggesting that the DL committe had gone for easy pickings. Now at the tail-end of the year we've got jokers like 888-333 complaining its been a bad year beacause all the low-hanging fruit hasn't fallen from the tree!

Guest msc
The globally famous Derryn Hinch, yeah.

Never heard of him (except for mentions on this very forum) - he's some kind of DJ or other I gather from Wiki.

People always moan "Oh why wasn't this person on the list" and it's usually some young celeb like Lohan or Spears who they "expect to die young", but they've been talked about for years, and there's a good reason they'd have been a bad pick for previous years: ie, they're not dead. Besides, for all the talk of the "shock young death", there is a reason these things are shocks! It's very rarely the Lohans that manage it, and more often the River Pheonixs and Heath Ledger - the quiet out of the media ones you wouldn't expect.

As for people talking about young or dangerous candidates bringing excitement, the most interested I remember DLsters being in candidates over the years were for George Melly (which included a reccy to his last ever gig and a respectful invasion of his fan forum) and Albert Hoffman (complete with some wonderfully illiterate guest postings....yes, I am a hypocrite), both over 80 at the time.

Age doesn't make someone exciting. Character does. And DL is usually quite good for picking a good variety of characters, and being quite educational too.

For all the talk of low numbers for this year, putting a bunch of 50 and lower year olds on for excitement isn't going to boost the numbers in the slightest. It's always going to be a mix of those with public ill health and those legends getting on in age.