Phantom

Your Least Impressive Celebrity Encounters

Bumped into Judi Spiers she of BBC1 Pebble Mill fame in the 1990's and general sidekick of Alan Titchmarsh in Plymouth last weekend. She's now a Radio Presenter on BBC Radio Devon. Cut me dead after I said Hello Judi.

Cow. It's only 1 step down to local radio love. Ah...............

Myself and a few mates found ourselves next to Boy George at a festival once. My mate asked to take a picture with him and got told to fuck off. Anyone I know who has met him now can't stand him and wouldn't have a nice word to say about him.

On the flip side I ran into Andrew Hayden Smith at a club in London once and a nicer bloke I have never met.

Myself and a few mates found ourselves next to Boy George at a festival once. My mate asked to take a picture with him and got told to fuck off. Anyone I know who has met him now can't stand him and wouldn't have a nice word to say about him.

That's interesting, because I recently saw him at a festival and he was happily posing for photos with people. I suppose everyone has their off days.

Aye, festival crowds are summat of a leveling because they reduce celebs to fans. Found myself side by side with Romeo Stoddart (then famous) of Magic Numbers as we stood awestruck at the monumental talent of Neil Young blitzing the Paddock Wood Hop Farm crowd with his genius. Romeo's a top bloke, chatty and amenable...which is probably why his career has tanked monumentally since!

My father is a scratch bollocks London cabbie(all they do is sit around scratching their bollocks all day until they get a job) and he had ex Arsenal right back and wank football pundit LEE DIXON in his cab the other week,his fare came to £19.80,he gave me old man a twenty and said "Keep the change!" TIGHT CUNT

• Like 1

I've met

Obama(briefly before his presidency),

Russel Simmons and Rev. Run(8 years old at the time, they gave me $100 dollars),

Vic Migogna( Total asshole, asked if I believed in god)

Lawrence Taylor, (Close friend of my dad, they went to highschool together and my father is on his Sportscentury episode)

Matt Hardy, (at the mall)

Jerry Stackhouse, (at the same mall a few weeks later)

Magic Johnson, (At a charity event, He was pretening to have the flu so he only had to stay for a few minutes)

The Guy who wrote the Lightning Thief

August Burns Red(Tried to force me into Christianity)

Underoath's lead singer and Keyboardist(Gave me a free ticket to their show)

Curly from the Harlem Globetrotters

The Motion City Soundtrack(my girlfriend nearly pissed herself, I was unamused)

MonkeyPunch( I go to anime conventions)

Speedycake

I've spoken to more famous people than I can count over facebook, i'm an amateur music producer and Dj.

Most notably I've spoken to most of the cast of Tim and Eric Awesome show great job.

Oh and Mike krsskdfdfkljwjewkfg ( Duke basketball coach and Olympic basketball coach)

I went to see James Brown's dead body at the Apollo Theatre

and finally I met Carl from Family Matters at a Food Lion in Raleigh.

Life sure is exciting in North Carolina.

Guest trash

I am so glad I remembered this forum, I will try and remember my log in details at some point before I die.

Bruno Brookes is still a clunge!

Living in California, I've run into my fair share of celebrities, Rev. Jesse Jackson, Spike Lee, some people from the Survivor series, but I think my best encounter was when I was a junior high school student in Canada. It was "hot dog day" at our school, and the school was giving out free hotdogs. Some big old guy cut in front of me in line and, not knowing who it was and being a young lad at the time, I told him "Hey! You cut!"

The man just turned to me and laughed, "Haha, just tell your mother you met Charles Bronson" and he shook my hand.

My mother thought that I was lying until she read a news article about him filming a movie near my school. B)

Who did you meet from Survivor? I'm interested.. stories please?

Not too many celebs to run into where I live. But I did meet Kim Zimmer at an after show bar in Michigan last summer. I mistook her for a minor role actress from Friends, later to find out that she was never on Friends. How embarrassing.

Guest Guest

I saw John Travolta at Chariots a few years ago. I was just trying to make small talk because he is a really great actor and he just ignored me like I do not exist. To anyone else who meets him behind closed door,don't even bother unless you are muscle power top or some 20 year old vers twink type.

I saw John Travolta at Chariots a few years ago. I was just trying to make small talk because he is a really great actor and he just ignored me like I do not exist. To anyone else who meets him behind closed door,don't even bother unless you are muscle power top or some 20 year old vers twink type.

ISTM your observation is accurate. As I understand $cientology: when you're not clear, you don't exist.

regards,

Hein

Boy, where to begin....

I was working part time reference desk at a university law library and it was a relatively quiet night, a few students studying etc, on computers and such (this was like 1998). In walks this short black lady, probably in her 40s, and is a bit scattered and crazy, telling me she needs me to call security for her cuz (I can't remember, people following her, stalking her, etc), and she basically wanted security to drive her to her vehicle or drive her vehicle to her, or something bizarre. I'm sorry I don't recall the details as it's been 17 years. But anyway she came off as a crazy person. I call security and tell them a lady is at the reference desk, explain her problem, and they ask what her name is, so I ask her and she says (in a condescending YOU DON"T KNOW WHO I AM? tone), 'I am Anita Baker'. In the end as I recall she was petulant about them not coming within a couple minutes and she left, and they showed up I'm like sorry, she split. I had some doubts as to her claim, though we were in Detroit where she is a resident. But I came to the conclusion that it was her indeed, as she had been in the library before.
An aside -- twice I saw Dr. Jack Kevorkian doing legal research in our library too!

Sir Creep

Boy, where to begin....

I was working part time reference desk at a university law library and it was a relatively quiet night, a few students studying etc, on computers and such (this was like 1998). In walks this short black lady, probably in her 40s, and is a bit scattered and crazy, telling me she needs me to call security for her cuz (I can't remember, people following her, stalking her, etc), and she basically wanted security to drive her to her vehicle or drive her vehicle to her, or something bizarre. I'm sorry I don't recall the details as it's been 17 years. But anyway she came off as a crazy person. I call security and tell them a lady is at the reference desk, explain her problem, and they ask what her name is, so I ask her and she says (in a condescending YOU DON"T KNOW WHO I AM? tone), 'I am Anita Baker'. In the end as I recall she was petulant about them not coming within a couple minutes and she left, and they showed up I'm like sorry, she split. I had some doubts as to her claim, though we were in Detroit where she is a resident. But I came to the conclusion that it was her indeed, as she had been in the library before.

An aside -- twice I saw Dr. Jack Kevorkian doing legal research in our library too!

Sir Creep

Obviously he didn't do enough.

I call security and tell them a lady is at the reference desk, explain her problem, and they ask what her name is, so I ask her and she says (in a condescending YOU DON"T KNOW WHO I AM? tone), 'I am Anita Baker'.

Who's Anita Baker?

regards,

Hein

• Like 2

Just discovered this thread, so I'll add my list:

Met Rikki Fulton whilst getting him to sign a video (yes kids, it was a while ago), most rude and obnoxious person I have had the displeasure to meet.

Was on various game shows and met the following:

Jeremy Beadle - lovely and genuine.

Richard Madeley - huge hands, well once you've shaken with Jeremy, I guess they're all huge. Like grain scoops. He was fun, it was before his morning tv gig with Judy.

William G Stewart - yes I was on 15 to 1 too!

Paul Coia - quite famous locally, colour blind y'know.

Couple of Nolans - lovely girls.

Danny Baker - just the same on and off screen, liked him muchly.

Paul Ross - nicer than his brother appears to be.

Also had outdoor congress with a Scottish comedy actor, who is now passed away (not as a result of said congress), I'll let him rest in peace.

Had my photo taken with Mick Foley of WWE, sadly missed William Regal when he was in town last November.

I call security and tell them a lady is at the reference desk, explain her problem, and they ask what her name is, so I ask her and she says (in a condescending YOU DON"T KNOW WHO I AM? tone), 'I am Anita Baker'.

Who's Anita Baker?regards,Hein

Ummm.... Ok.

Smfh

SC

Here maybe you can bone up on your contemporary pop artists for Christ sake. 5 Platinum albums I'll assume ONE copy of the goddamn things sold in Holland. 8 Grammys I dunno maybe I retrospect you heard of her. Jesus ....

SC

"Anita Denise Baker (born January 26, 1958)[1] is an American singer-songwriter.....Baker eventually released her first solo album, The Songstress, in 1983. In 1986, she rose to stardom following the release of her platinum-selling second album, Rapture, which included the Grammy-winning single "Sweet Love". <b>To date, Baker has won eight Grammy Awards and has five platinum albums <\b>and one gold album to her credit."

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anita_Baker

My response was of an ironic nature.

There was, however, a slightly serious side to my remark. I first tried her entry in the Dutch Wikipedia. As you can see, that article is rather brief. I assure you that Dutch Wikipedia articles about popular artists mention every fart, so Anita Baker isn't popular among Dutch Wikipedia writers. I had to switch to the English page to learn that I know a few of her songs.

regards,

Hein

Here maybe you can bone up on your contemporary pop artists for Christ sake. 5 Platinum albums I'll assume ONE copy of the goddamn things sold in Holland. 8 Grammys I dunno maybe I retrospect you heard of her. Jesus ....

SC

"Anita Denise Baker (born January 26, 1958)[1] is an American singer-songwriter.....Baker eventually released her first solo album, The Songstress, in 1983. In 1986, she rose to stardom following the release of her platinum-selling second album, Rapture, which included the Grammy-winning single "Sweet Love". <b>To date, Baker has won eight Grammy Awards and has five platinum albums <\b>and one gold album to her credit."

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anita_Baker

I'd never heard of her either.

Anita Baker has had one (1) top-50 charting single in the UK (No. 15 with Sweet Love, 1986). That's as many as Joe Dolce. (Sorry, not up on the Dutch charts)

So, irrespective of how many Grammy's yada, yada, yada, she's just not that famous this side of the pond.

SC

"Anita Denise Baker (born January 26, 1958)[1] is an American singer-songwriter.....Baker eventually released her first solo album, The Songstress, in 1983. In 1986, she rose to stardom following the release of her platinum-selling second album, Rapture, which included the Grammy-winning single "Sweet Love". <b>To date, Baker has won eight Grammy Awards and has five platinum albums <\b>and one gold album to her credit."http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anita_Baker

I'd never heard of her either.

Anita Baker has had one (1) top-50 charting single in the UK (No. 15 with Sweet Love, 1986). That's as many as Joe Dolce. (Sorry, not up on the Dutch charts)

So, irrespective of how many Grammy's yada, yada, yada, she's just not that famous this side of the pond.

Oh I know who she is now! Probably better known in the UK as Brian May's wife.

• Like 4

Sir Creep get a grip.

Had no fucking clue who she was either.

Met Rikki Fulton whilst getting him to sign a video (yes kids, it was a while ago), most rude and obnoxious person I have had the displeasure to meet.

Richard Madeley - huge hands, well once you've shaken with Jeremy, I guess they're all huge. Like grain scoops. He was fun, it was before his morning tv gig with Judy.

Also had outdoor congress with a Scottish comedy actor, who is now passed away (not as a result of said congress), I'll let him rest in peace.

Had my photo taken with Mick Foley of WWE, sadly missed William Regal when he was in town last November.

I met and chatted with the late and lamented Mr Beadle a couple of times and was mightily impressed. The context was meeting at Fortean Times Unconventions - i.e. conferences on all manner of paranormal stuff - and Beadle had amassed a massive private library of tomes on the various topics under discussion, something he could hold forth on with authority and a fair degree of insight and humour.

• Like 1

Hadn't unconsciously thought of your good self as a man to be overly concerned with the paranormal (or Beadle come to that). Do tell.

Hadn't unconsciously thought of your good self as a man to be overly concerned with the paranormal (or Beadle come to that). Do tell.

FFS, I can't get that into a single post. Hung around those circles in a serious manner for many years, less involved of late because the uncontrolled expansion of t'internet has spread the audience far and wide and opened the whole shebang up more than ever to paranoid conspiracy theorists on the very edge of sanity, and beyond, and those willing to follow them. The net result being that the paid writing jobs I enjoyed back in the day are now few and far between and my talents have been hawked elsewhere. My main involvement was in UFO and related research/writing and I'd say I learned two major things over that time. 1 - The most fruitful and interesting area of study regarding UFOs concerns the people involved in the whole business and the motives and mental states that take them there. During my time of strong involvement there was lots of progress in that area of understanding whilst the cases under investigation kept throwing up the next "big one" that would convince the world (only to crash and burn under serious investigation). Said big ones included the Botswana sky crash, Manhatten Transfer abduction case and the UK's infamous alien autopsy movie. 2 - There are a handful of corking cases, genuine jaw-droppers, that continue to defy mundane explanation, but such cases are very few and far between. I'd hold up the Tehran inciident (1976) as one such.

Rant over!

• Like 1

I met and chatted with the late and lamented Mr Beadle a couple of times and was mightily impressed. The context was meeting at Fortean Times Unconventions - i.e. conferences on all manner of paranormal stuff - and Beadle had amassed a massive private library of tomes on the various topics under discussion, something he could hold forth on with authority and a fair degree of insight and humour.

I met Danny Baker when he was on the Six O'Clock Show. For some reason they sent him to our school to interview the kids about their views on make-up. He was down-to-earth but a bit of a w***er.

• Like 1