JR976evil

Journalists

52 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Interesting that you see it that way. Many Conservatives think that the BBC is ridiculously left leaning. Many lefties think its too cuddled up to the government etc.

The answer is it's neither. There is bias in all of their political programming to some degree. Some of it fits one person's narrative, some of it fits others.

The argument that we should abolish the licence fee/privatise it is becoming far more legitimate as time passes, and whilst it had fringe support even 10 years ago, the majority now back it.

I did laugh a few years ago when the biggest complaint the BBC got from viewers was they were too biased towards the government, and the second biggest complaint (only about 40 odd behind) was they were too biased AGAINST the government! They had a leaning bias towards the status quo in their news department.

As for the licence fee, I'd just add on that the majority want rid of it *when they think their favourite shows aren't going to be effected*. The soonest BBC cuts threaten something people like, they get on their high horses. 

35 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

With no real axe to grind myself either way, I would say that back in the day both Westminster parties really had a right of reply, regardless of who was in power.

So a government minister would come on then an opposition member would have a right of reply. And they would all get a hard time. Since the Coalition, there has been a tendency (apart from the Marr show and maybe Newsnight and both hardly mass public friendly timing) simply to have Government reps come on for a grilling. Now, that's my job, not a journalist, because I'm allowed simply to attack whoever is in power. :lol:

Robin Day died a few years ago, Willz, basically. ;)

24 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Could save some money by axing that dreadful little Newscast.

Given Kuenssberg is going and the producer has jumped ship to LBC, I presume it is going too?

13 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Jet setting journo Dave Banks (yeah, I went who? as well), former assistant editor of The Sun and editor of The Mirror with stints in the USA and Australia, reportedly dead: 

1990s LBC and Talk Radio host.

I'm guessing he'll obit. When did journos stop reporting the news and start becoming it?

Yup, you're right on both counts. 

Sun obit for David Banks... and they refer to him as a "Fleet Street legend". Self-indulgent media wankery right there.

• Like 1

In my mind the only notable David Banks is still the 1991 MISL Rookie Of The Year

6akbVAe.png

Irish journalist Paddy Murray dead after a long (and public) cancer fight at 68:

https://m.sundayworld.com/news/irish-news/journalists-pay-tribute-to-veteran-former-sunday-world-columnist-paddy-murray-41380787.html

His last column was in 2019 already but he lasted long enough through lymphoma and COPD that we, and I, forgot about him.

• Like 1

On 09/06/2020 at 16:50, TomTomTelekom said:

Babbling side thought of mine: Maybe we'll know when Pleitgen is getting worse when his son, CNN correspondent Frederik Pleitgen, leaves the war zone? As I am seeing him right now, I just wondered what's more important, his father or the war coverage?

• Like 2

Sheila Benson (Wiki) reported dead at 91

American journalists and principal film critic for the Los Angeles Time from 1981 to 1991 and for MSN's Microsoft Cinemania 

• Like 3

Walter R. Mears, who for 45 years fluidly and speedily wrote the news about presidential campaigns for The Associated Press and won a Pulitzer Prize doing it, has died. He was 87.

SC

• Like 1

Hugh O'Shaughnessy, an acclaimed Irish journalist and Observer foreign correspondent known for his reporting on Latin America, winner of a series of awards and author of a number of books, has died. He was 87. O'Shaughnessy's best known work included his coverage of Augusto Pinochet seizing power in Chile in 1973.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2022/mar/06/acclaimed-foreign-correspondent-hugh-oshaughnessy-dies-aged-87

Two for the price of one:

Four days after his 80th birthday was celebrated, Fabio Lanipekun, a sports journalist, has died, reports sportsvillagesquare.com.

A Nigerian Television Authority (NTA) official close to the family confirmed the passing on of the highly-respected journalist. 

His death is coming just a week after another iconic sports journalist, Sunny Emmanuel Ojagbaese, died in the United States.

SC

Music Journo Gavin Martin dead aged 60.

Not selected in DDP, not even by David Quantick's Showbiz Pals.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, time said:

Music Journo Gavin Martin dead aged 60.

Not selected in DDP, not even by David Quantick's Showbiz Pals.

"Passed away suddenly while on holiday in Barbados". Well his last tweet is from January 5th moaning that he "spent a small fortune" on root canal treatment. Poor dental health in the roots is linked to cardiac issues so there's that.

Turned out to be a bit of a waste of money, eh?

• Like 1

On 11/03/2022 at 15:29, Ulitzer95 said:

"Passed away suddenly while on holiday in Barbados". Well his last tweet is from January 5th moaning that he "spent a small fortune" on root canal treatment. Poor dental health in the roots is linked to cardiac issues so there's that.

Turned out to be a bit of a waste of money, eh?

It surprised me when I found that out. A relative of mine had to have major heart surgery a while ago and when he was first taken Ill he was told the dreadful state of his teeth had to be sorted before they could operate on heart and that in the couple of months waiting for the surgery he had to resolve all those issues first.

• Like 1

Celebrated journalist, news analyst and documentary producer Floyd McKay has died at the age of 86.

McKay had a long career in the Pacific Northwest, serving as a news analyst at KGW from 1970-1987. But his illustrious career extended beyond that. He was a politics reporter and opinion writer for decades.
He moved to Bellingham, Washington where he taught journalism at Western Washington University until he retired in 2004. He returned to print and online reporter from 2004-2017 with the Seattle Times and Crosscut.com.

SC

• Like 1

BowelBabe Deborah James is back in hospital after developing a sepsis:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-10610407/BBC-podcaster-incurable-cancer-Deborah-James-40-reveals-hospital.html

Now it turns out that her and Vicky Phelan are almost walking hand in hand towards the finish line.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gcreptile said:

BowelBabe Deborah James is back in hospital after developing a sepsis.

Now it turns out that her and Vicky Phelan are almost walking hand in hand towards the finish line.

@gcreptile... I'm getting a bit bored with Deborah James, frankly.

You'd be amazed at what I'm starting to believe about her.

Vicky Phelan seems a much more authentic and interesting person.

But my favourite was Nadia Chaudhri.

I miss her posts. :(

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, MariNisia said:

@gcreptile... I'm getting a bit bored with Deborah James, frankly.

You'd be amazed at what I'm starting to believe about her.

Vicky Phelan seems a much more authentic and interesting person.

But my favourite was Nadia Chaudhri.

I miss her posts. :(

Heh, well, Deborah James has been accused of "sexyfying" her cancer battle not too long ago.

And very practically, it's looking much more sincere to just make it quick like Nadia Chaudhri did.

• Like 1

I don`t see how she is sexifying her cancer. She likes to dress up. If it makes her feel better then why shouldn`t she?

I don`t think she is exaggerating or faking anything. She is just young in otherwise good health and exploring every medical intervention. She probably won`t see the summer and is a cert to go this year. Treatment options are now limited and these septic infections are becoming recurrent.

• Like 1