Sign in to follow this  
weatherman90

Annette Funicello

Annette Funicello - 63 years old, has had MS since 1987. Starred in the "Beach Movies" of the '60s, and a few other flicks along the way. She had brain surgery in 1999 to slow down tremors to her brain from the MS.

Probably a bit too American, but it's worth a shot.

Phil Brown's family (of Star Wars fame) posted on his website that he was too ill for autographs for some time before he died. Looking on that theme, there were a few people, including Gerald Ford, but also Annette Funicello, DDP favourite, who, apparently, can no longer sign autographs "due to her failing health" (reported late 2005). Whether she passes the fame test, I do not know, but it would seem she is a good bet.

Annette Funicello would most likely make the news over here, they actually did a documentary a short while ago about all the Mouseketeers and where they are now.

They mentioned about her condition, but it's obviously worsened since then.

She's on my list of 100 people so far, but hasn't yet made it up into my top 50

How about Annette Funicello? One of Americas sweethearts for the Mickey Mouse Club years. She has been in failing health for a very long time. She has battled multiple sclerosis since 1987 -- can no longer read and can barely speak above a whisper. Her eyes are also going.

How about Annette Funicello? One of Americas sweethearts for the Mickey Mouse Club years. She has been in failing health for a very long time. She has battled multiple sclerosis since 1987 -- can no longer read and can barely speak above a whisper. Her eyes are also going.

The (admittedly terrible) thing about MS is the way it attacks the body, specifically in the prolonged nature of the disease. Not only does it progress at different rates in different people, but it can make someone appear on the brink of death externally, despite them still having many years left. My aunt has been living with MS for 30 years, and although her motor skills and speech are awful, she has never been hospitalized as a result of her condition, and nobody in the family expects her to die from it in the next, say, five years (she's currently 67).

For the purposes of celebrity death prediction, I generally treat MS sufferers like those with Parkinsons, and only really consider them if there are hospitalizations or real evidence that they expect to die imminently.

Guest Guest

I think Mr. Odstock should put Sydney Pollack and Annette Funicello on his DDP for next year. I'm putting both of them on mine. :unsure:

I think Mr. Odstock should put Sydney Pollack and Annette Funicello on his DDP for next year. I'm putting both of them on mine. :unsure:

Pollack's in, provided he makes it to 2008.

Funicello.... I doubt it, unless I come across anything that says she's getting any worse.

Looking at my current potential 2008 team, there's a lot of sports-stars on there, nearly 8 of them - more accident, than design.

I can confirm that I'm not adding Biggs, Foot, Jack Jones, Fordham, Bevilacqua or Margaret Thatcher as things stand now as I feel they are all healthy enough to make 2010.

Pollack's in, provided he makes it to 2008.

Funicello.... I doubt it, unless I come across anything that says she's getting any worse.

Looking at my current potential 2008 team, there's a lot of sports-stars on there, nearly 8 of them - more accident, than design.

I can confirm that I'm not adding Biggs, Foot, Jack Jones, Fordham, Bevilacqua or Margaret Thatcher as things stand now as I feel they are all healthy enough to make 2010.

I think you've got an admirer, Octopus. This 'guest' is always after your attention.... :angry:

What's up with Funicello anyway, Wikipedia doesn't mention anything... :banghead:

I think you've got an admirer, Octopus. This 'guest' is always after your attention.... :banghead:

What's up with Funicello anyway, Wikipedia doesn't mention anything... :unsure:

Well, that's why it's always nice to respond. :angry:

Funicello has had MS for years.

There's a lot of speculation on the findadeath forum that Annette Funicello is near death. I couldn't find anything in the news but I know she's had MS for years.

Little titbit about everyone's favourite wheelchair-bound surf girl Annette Funicello:

Losing Battle

Annette Funicello is losing her battle against multiple sclerosis, reveals the Globe. The former Mouseketeer and 'Beach Blanket Bingo' star is living out her final days confined to a wheelchair unable to speak. We hope she knows just how many fond memories we'll always have of her. (June 12)

Perennial DDP pick Annette Funicello (surely a worthy candidate for a DL thread?) has been taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation after a fire destroyed her house. ;)

Little titbit about everyone's favourite wheelchair-bound surf girl Annette Funicello:

Losing Battle

Annette Funicello is losing her battle against multiple sclerosis, reveals the Globe. The former Mouseketeer and 'Beach Blanket Bingo' star is living out her final days confined to a wheelchair unable to speak. We hope she knows just how many fond memories we'll always have of her. (June 12)

Two years later, another 'Brave Last Days' story, this time from the unlinkable National Enquirer:

Beloved Mouseketeer and Beach Party beauty ANNETTE FUNICELLO’s final act as pals fear she has only months to live. Annette has become so ravaged by her decades-long battle with multiple scle­rosis that friends fear the beloved “Mouseketeer” has only months to live. The once-bubbly Disney star is a prisoner in her own body. She recognizes no one as she spends her days in a coma-like state, propped up in an electroni­cally controlled chair, say sources.

Annette, 68, is nearly blind, cannot go to the bathroom on her own or eat solid foods and is fed liquid nourishment through a feeding tube inserted in her stomach. Nurses who attend to her round-the-clock must clear her throat several times a day to pre­vent the fluid from backing up into her lungs and choking her to death. Annette wouldn’t recognize her Mickey Mouse ears anymore,” a friend told The ENQUIRER.

Losing Battle

Two years later, another 'Brave Last Days' story, this time from the unlinkable National Enquirer:

Beloved Mouseketeer and Beach Party beauty ANNETTE FUNICELLO’s final act as pals fear she has only months to live. Annette has become so ravaged by her decades-long battle with multiple scle­rosis that friends fear the beloved “Mouseketeer” has only months to live. The once-bubbly Disney star is a prisoner in her own body. She recognizes no one as she spends her days in a coma-like state, propped up in an electroni­cally controlled chair, say sources.

Annette, 68, is nearly blind, cannot go to the bathroom on her own or eat solid foods and is fed liquid nourishment through a feeding tube inserted in her stomach. Nurses who attend to her round-the-clock must clear her throat several times a day to pre­vent the fluid from backing up into her lungs and choking her to death. Annette wouldn’t recognize her Mickey Mouse ears anymore,” a friend told The ENQUIRER.

If everyone the National Enquirer said was dying actually died, there would be no one left.

Warts and all video documentaries on Annette Funicello as she is now.. which is not in a good way. The article mentions new drugs somewhat slowing down the rate of her disease, so maybe she's not a shoo-in for 2013 as she looks. http://www.ctvnews.ca/w5/annette-funicello-her-life-with-multiple-sclerosis-1.984202 At least you can now work out whether the National Enquirer are truthful or not...

Warts and all video documentaries on Annette Funicello as she is now.. which is not in a good way. The article mentions new drugs somewhat slowing down the rate of her disease, so maybe she's not a shoo-in for 2013 as she looks. http://www.ctvnews.c...erosis-1.984202

Poor woman.

I already did understand the horrors of that disease. A friend of mine, Karin Spaink, suffers from it and has made it quite clear that she won't go there.

regards,

Hein

Warts and all video documentaries on Annette Funicello as she is now.. which is not in a good way. The article mentions new drugs somewhat slowing down the rate of her disease, so maybe she's not a shoo-in for 2013 as she looks. http://www.ctvnews.c...erosis-1.984202

Poor woman.

I already did understand the horrors of that disease. A friend of mine, Karin Spaink, suffers from it and has made it quite clear that she won't go there.

regards,

Hein

Interesting lady! Best wishes to her.

Bad timing. She's the new Mother Teresa / Farrah Fawcett.

Only Doris Day is left from the people mentioned in 'Look At Me I'm Sandra Dee'...

• Like 1