The Four Horsemen

Cricket Thread. Only Mad Dogs And Englishmen

Sir Oliver Popplewell has died aged 96. He played cricket for Cambridge University and was President of the MCC from 1994-96. His son, Nigel, played for Somerset for many seasons.

• Like 2

Zafrul Ehsan has died aged 60, was a Bangladesh tier III cricket coach, coached the Bangladesh women's national cricket team in 2008. He coached the Bangladesh national under-19 cricket team in 2012, and continued with the under-19 cricket team. -19 in 2013 as assistant coach. Died of acute myeloid leukemia

https://www.tbsnews.net/sports/veteran-cricket-coach-zafrul-ehsan-passes-away-879021

Photo: Courtesy

• Like 1

Former India bowler David Johnson (2 tests in 1996) has died after falling from a fourth-storey balcony. He had been in poor health recently, so read between the lines if you like. He was 52.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

On 02/04/2020 at 07:30, CoffinLodger said:

Could be the mathematician Tony Lewis, who is responsible for the Lewis-Duckworth rule in cricket along with Frank Duckworth ! Then again maybe not ...:unsure:  https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/28983084/tony-lewis-duckworth-lewis-rain-rules-fame-dies-aged-78

Frank Duckworth reportedly dead: 

Awaiting the usual confirmations.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

On 25/06/2024 at 09:54, YoungWillz said:

Plenty of them, here's one.

• Like 1

Barry Reed (Hampshire 1958-72) has died aged 86.   1937-2024. He used to open the batting with the exciting Roy Marshall & then briefly with the world class Barry Richards.

2 minutes ago, time said:

Is that DDP as in Dictionary Dead Pool? Asking for a friend.

Derby Dead Pool in response to your friend. ;)

Still seemingly no word on what was actually wrong with him after that rush to hospital a couple of years ago. Clearly never recovered. Very sad, I only saw the back end of his career in the mid-00s, classy batsman.

4 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

Still seemingly no word on what was actually wrong with him after that rush to hospital a couple of years ago. Clearly never recovered. Very sad, I only saw the back end of his career in the mid-00s, classy batsman.

Rumours was a suicide attempt in 2022. Possibly the same again this time.

• Shocked 2

4 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Rumours was a suicide attempt in 2022. Possibly the same again this time.

Would certainly explain all the secrecy. Horrible if true.

You can never escape from yourself and it’s only when you lose control of your own mind that you realise you are never in control at all.

Rest in peace Graham.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

There are some extremely sick people on Twitter trying to make this about vaccinations.

Such a tragedy

They do that for every famous death as some trolling exercise. They probably don't have any filters beyond "x person dies", and with that knob now running the platform with almost no restrictions they can get away with such trolling.

• Like 1

Douglas Goodwin, who played for Ireland, humbling the West Indies in the famous Sion Mills match, reportedly dead: 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 25/06/2024 at 09:54, YoungWillz said:

Not mentioned in that report, but I read today in his obituary in the Cricketer magazine that he was briefly a housemate of John Lennon's - lodged with his aunt Mimi for a while. "We didn't have much to do with him, but heard him playing his guitar now and then." 

Yes terribly sad about Graham Thorpe. As anyone who's read David Frith's magnificent 'Silence of the Heart' would know, cricket seems to lend itself to suicide more than any other sport. I wonder what Jonny Bairstow must be feeling now. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 19/04/2024 at 12:42, Ulitzer95 said:

Times death notice for Peter Gardiner-Hill (wiki), aged 97, first-class cricketer who played just one match (for Oxford University) in 1949(!)

Reveal hidden contents

GARDINER-HILL Peter Farquhar died peacefully at home, aged 97, on 26th March 2024 with his wife Sue holding his hand. Much-loved father, grandfather, great-grandfather and lifelong golfer. Family funeral. No flowers please but donations to St Michael’s Hospice, Hastings, would be appreciated. Memorial service at a later date: email Memorial@gardiner-hill.org to be sent details in due course.

Despite his obscurity, good to see a death notice turn up. I had assumed he had died off radar at some point before now.

3 other ancient English first-class cricketers I'm trying to solve:
William Faulkner (wiki, born 1923) Royal Air Force. Made a single appearance. Not in the death records. My hunch is emigrated and died abroad.
John Stenton (wiki, born 1924) Somerset. I think he's living. Will be interesting to see if a 100th birthday report crops up in October.
Kenneth Mathews (wiki, born 1926) Marylebone, Cambridge University, Sussex. Likely still alive.

Death notice for ancient former cricketer John Stenton (wiki), aged 99.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1