Grim Reaper

Forum Software Upgrade

:D That feels much better.

Is there any way that my avatar can be restored to it's former glory?
Not sure how, but if you look up 888-333 - his/her avatar still moves.

OK I found a setting to switch animated avatars back on - I am not sure if it will restore lost animations. They may need to be re-uploaded...

I think I have backups of all the old avatars but no simple way to match them to users which isn't too helpful.

Edit: Actually I can track them down with some detective work but its a bit time consuming

Thanks GR. I'm much happier about the revamp now.

Man, you got old real quick.

• Like 1

Can I have my original avatar with the moving hair if DDT I can find it again then?

A little late to the party, but I like the new layout, well done.

Also like the "Preview This Topic" (next to the HOT tag, what is the Hot tag anyway?)

Is it not somewat.... vivid, Sir?

I believe you mean

it seems glaringly bright compared with the old DL,

Is it not somewat.... vivid, Sir?

Never mind old chap, it's just the sun shining on the snow. Just put on those polarized sunglasses that I bought you in Aspen, and bring me a whisky.

Two points:

• Can the flood control delay be reduced (or removed) on searches?
  • Can someone fix the link posting so that it works like it used to (or explain what I'm doing wrong)?

Two points:

• Can the flood control delay be reduced (or removed) on searches?
  • Can someone fix the link posting so that it works like it used to (or explain what I'm doing wrong)?

I'm not clear on the problem with posting links. http://deathlist.net

It seems to work for me or is it a different problem?

If I use an html tag (as of old) of the form xxxxxxxxx I would expect xxxxxxxxx to appear.

However, I get something like this:

http://www.guardian....ituary]Obituary[/url]

Just pasting in the link works fine:

http://www.guardian....ilburn-obituary

Are html tags still supported?

P.S. It would be nice if the post preview was still available.

Well that didn't post as anticipated either.

Old method (url=anyurl)xxxxxxxxx(/url) - but replace round brackets with sqaure ones!

If I use an html tag (as of old) of the form xxxxxxxxx I would expect xxxxxxxxx to appear.

http://www.guardian....ituary]Obituary

First: a few tips.

• The edit box for a reply at the bottom of a page is not very useful for anything, other than a quick reply without fancy mark-up. Use the button labelled "More Reply Options".
  • If you want to quote a post, hit the "Quote" button and then the "More Reply Options" one.
  • That view has a "Preview Post" button that actually works.
  • A very useful option in that view is the button at the upper left corner of the editor, with a picture of what looks like a small paperclip, but which I guess is supposed to be a light switch: post-89-0-44612100-1320323721.gif. It toggles the edit mode of the editor to the one we're familiar with in the old version.
  • I'll have to look into the URL bit, but in the "More Reply Options" view it works pretty much as it used to:
    1. Hit the button with a picture of a mask with a teardrop: post-89-0-29463900-1320323970.gif. You'll get a popup window like: post-89-0-37749300-1320324192_thumb.gif. Fill in a URL and a link to that URL (and with the same URL as link text) will be added to your post, like this: http://www.deathlist.net
    2. Type a link text, select it, hit the link button and fill in a URL. A link to that URL with your link text will be added to your post, like this: this is a link to our front page.

Let me see: <b>"This sentence is supposed to be in boldfaced type."</b>

So: no, I guess.

All this newfangled software confuses me no end. Is IPB going the way of the Evil EmpireMicrosoft?

Next lesson: posting pictures.

regards,

Hein

http://www.guardian....ituary]Obituary

First: a few tips.

• The edit box for a reply at the bottom of a page is not very useful for anything, other than a quick reply without fancy mark-up. Use the button labelled "More Reply Options".
  • If you want to quote a post, hit the "Quote" button and then the "More Reply Options" one.
  • That view has a "Preview Post" button that actually works.
  • A very useful option in that view is the button at the upper left corner of the editor, with a picture of what looks like a small paperclip, but which I guess is supposed to be a light switch: post-89-0-44612100-1320323721.gif. It toggles the edit mode of the editor to the one we're familiar with in the old version.
  • I'll have to look into the URL bit, but in the "More Reply Options" view it works pretty much as it used to:
    1. Hit the button with a picture of a mask with a teardrop: post-89-0-29463900-1320323970.gif. You'll get a popup window like: post-89-0-37749300-1320324192_thumb.gif. Fill in a URL and a link to that URL (and with the same URL as link text) will be added to your post, like this: http://www.deathlist.net

2. Type a link text, hit the link button and fill in a URL. A link to that URL with your link text will be added to your post, like this: this is a link to our front page.

Let me see: <b>"This sentence is supposed to be in boldfaced type."</b>

So: no, I guess.

All this newfangled software confuses me no end. Is IPB going the way of the Evil EmpireMicrosoft?

Next lesson: posting pictures.

regards,

Hein

Thanks, I shall give 'More Replay Options' a go next time I have something more to post.

I miss the thread subtitles.

A lot of creative thought went into them and now they seem to be gone.

I'm very impressed with the new forum.

Would it be ok if I started a thread about people who are killed by cows?

• Like 1

Yeah, this is my main grief w/the update.

Quote - Achelous : "Would it be ok if I started a thread about people who are killed by cows? "

Does cows include bulls?

(Can someone tell me how to edit a quote into a post?)

Quote : "Would it be ok if I started a thread about people who are killed by cows? "

Does cows include bulls?

Yes. Gored but not lethally wounded matadors would also have a place there. I wouldn't like the thread to get cluttered with trampled farmers.

Can I have a brand new posting-volume title, like Achelous? I don't really feel like a post-twunt somehow. I leave it up to whoever can change such things, but something music- or sport-related would be fine. Thank you.

What would you like to be?

Since I seem to have a slightly unhealthy obsession with him, I'd like "Smooover Than Smoove B" please. That's three O's followed by two O's. I promise to keep my Smoove avatar till at least Xmas.

Oh that looks good. Much better than the Justin Bieber one I had in mind when you said you'd like a music-related title.

ETA Thank you DDT for pointing out where the mod control panel button is. I've done mine and have itchy fingers. Would anyone else like a change?

I agree - that is a pity - I hadn't noticed that that was missing.

There appears to be lots of people on the Invision site wanting them back too and suggesting that an option should be added to allow them to be turned on.

The semi-good news is that they are apparently still sitting in the database (but just not displayed at the moment) so maybe there is some hope that they can make a return when Invision releases the next update.

I agree - that is a pity - I hadn't noticed that that was missing.

There appears to be lots of people on the Invision site wanting them back too and suggesting that an option should be added to allow them to be turned on.

The semi-good news is that they are apparently still sitting in the database (but just not displayed at the moment) so maybe there is some hope that they can make a return when Invision releases the next update.

Well it was actually easy to restore Topic Descriptions - although cost a few $$ to buy a bit of code to restore them.

Hopefully they are back to their full glory now.

The new version has a thing called Tags whereby posts can be classified according to a specific list of tags or (at the moment) anything can be entered.

Perhaps it might be useful to have things like tags like "General", "Death Possibilities", "Dead" etc to help classify postings in the main forum?

I think you have to edit the first post in a topic to be able to add a tag to an existing topic.