Bibliogryphon

Radio 4

_73910871_hitchhikersoriginalcastl-rstephenmooregeoffmcgivernsusansheridansimonjonesmarkwing-daveyforradio4scharacterinvasionday.jpg

A picture is worth a thousand words.

This is the reunited radio cast of THHGTTG for a live recording on Radio 4 on Saturday.

Note Stephen Moore (back left). The others looks OK for now and long may they stay so.

• Like 1

Marvin's looking OK (centre)

Marvin's looking OK (centre)

Apart from the terrible pain in all his diodes down his left side

• Like 1

Ex controller Ian McIntyre at 82 http://m.bbc.co.uk/n...t-arts-27096000

Edited by Paul Bearer
Link fixed

I caught a bit of The Invisible Age, a documentary about society's perception of the elderly, on R4 today. Two nonogenarian English philosophers, Mary Midgley (95) and Mary (Baroness) Warnock (90) were wheeled out to give their views. It's hard to assess their health based on a radio interview, but both sounded very mentally alert and their appearance also reminds us that they are still alive.

Mary Midgely commented on how she couldn't help thinking that everyone was wondering when she would die. It's shame there wasn't a post-show radio phone in where a R4 listener of a deadpooling persuasion may have been given her the opportunity to question her further on this point.

• Like 3

Peter Donaldson at 70.

http://bbc.in/1RMBlYP

Edit. Damn you SC!!

Peter Donaldson at 79.

http://bbc.in/1RMBlYP

Woo hoo beat you by mere seconds!

(It's the little victories in life.... All I have to live for)

SC

• Like 1

No I got age wrong too :(

On this week's The Reunion programme, five of the people present at the assasination of John F Kennedy were interviewed. One of them, the venerable James Leavelle, was the detective handcuffed to Lee Harvey Oswald when he was shot and killed by Jack Ruby. Leavelle is 93 now and I thought he sounded a little breathless. :mellow:_39459698_lhoshooting_ap238.jpg

Yeah, I heard that: I thought he sounded obit-worthy too.

Still alive and ninety five.....

Nick Robinson presented the Today programme yesterday.

He sounds really rough. Obviously he has had treatment for throat cancer and this will have left its mark but then to put himself in a high profile (and stessful) position. I do wonder.....

• Like 1

They have just done a survey about best loved radio voices and Eddie Mair comes out on top but the photo on the BBC website looks shocking. Is there something he is not telling us? No link as on phone.

They have just done a survey about best loved radio voices and Eddie Mair comes out on top but the photo on the BBC website looks shocking. Is there something he is not telling us? No link as on phone.

Perhaps, but mostly, he's an alcoholic.

• Like 1

Perhaps, but mostly, he's an alcoholic.

Won't hear a word against the man since he's - almost - one of us

Stick around Eddie!

Incidentally, he had a problem with drink - alcoholism in the full-blown sense isn't really the issue, apparently:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2908922/BBC-Radio-4-host-Eddie-Mair-reveals-s-sober-summer.html

Stick around Eddie!

Incidentally, he had a problem with drink - alcoholism in the full-blown sense isn't really the issue, apparently:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2908922/BBC-Radio-4-host-Eddie-Mair-reveals-s-sober-summer.html

That article uses an old photo. The contrast between that and the BBC one is shocking. Either he has been on a Nigel Lawson diet or is ill.

Stick around Eddie!

That article uses an old photo. The contrast between that and the BBC one is shocking. Either he has been on a Nigel Lawson diet or is ill.

Aye, clutching at straws, mind.

Some people - notably Andy Fordham - look in when they kick the sauce cos the sudden weight loss means their skin (previously big to accomodate all the fat cells linked to boozing) is suddenly sucked in and develops lines, or hangs off in big sheets.

Theres a recent photo of Mr Mair in the latest Radio Times where he looks much healthier. Short of further evidence, I'm guessing the BBC news website just put up one where he looked rough. It happens to us all, by which I mean the dodgy photos and not promotion by the Beeb.

He writes about celebrity Death fairly regularly in the Radio Times too. Ok, maybe one or twice in the last year, but enough for it to stick out.

• Like 1

image.jpg

• Like 1

image.jpg

OK point taken but he really should have a moan about the BBC website. I probably shouldn't say too much as when I went to China the lady at passport control insisted on seeing another photo ID because she thought I didn't look like 2009 me.

• Like 1

Theres a recent photo of Mr Mair in the latest Radio Times where he looks much healthier. Short of further evidence, I'm guessing the BBC news website just put up one where he looked rough. It happens to us all, by which I mean the dodgy photos and not promotion by the Beeb.

He writes about celebrity Death fairly regularly in the Radio Times too. Ok, maybe one or twice in the last year, but enough for it to stick out.

Aye, the man is one of us at heart.

• Like 1

There were some croaky, ancient voices audible on last night's R4 documentary about Richard Dimbleby.

Jeremy Isaacs in particular seems suddenly very old, Michael Peacock (former BBC2 controller) sounded like he had a death rattle and several other obit worthy old codgers chipped in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07nn2t4

• Like 2