themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2013

Ian Farmer, a pick for me and DDT was one of those who held the key to victory or missing out. News on him has been very quiet since his resignation due to illness on the 30th December 2012 from Lonmin. Today came news that, realistically leaves me in a very precarious position at the top as Fielding, Athaiya, Granger, Bryan and now Farmer will see out 2013. Suarez and Porcaro are my only hopes as this was Farmer's statement today;

On Monday, August 13 2012, I was rushed into hospital with acute back pain and kidney failure. For the next few days my life was literally in the balance. On Wednesday 15th I was diagnosed as having multiple myeloma, a bone marrow cancer.

Fortunately, due to excellent care by the Royal Marsden Hospital over the course of the last year, my cancer is now in remission.

Arseburgers

Congratulations to All Death is Consolation theme team for a unique joker pick for Anthony Caro.

Guest Guest

old Chinese proverb say:

chance of winning dead pool narrow

picking such as Tony Caro

ah so.

A Limerick to my unique pick and my possible DDP clincher should it hit.

There once was a Man in Korea

Who's daughter Kim Kyong-Hui showed no fear

She rose through the ranks

Then she drank and she drank

But the tough old Alcy's still here

• Like 1

http://www.katherine...co.uk/blog.html

Katherine Crowe in her lattest blog said can move and walk and she hasn't been able to in ages. She also stated she fully excpects to be around for Christmas. It's beginning to look like she will see the year out(unless she is just being wishful) which is a huge blow for a few teams near the top while for teams without her could be the difference in victory or not.

Yeah, I might do another round-up of the celebs whose life/death could impact the leaderboard again at the next update. tbh although Metsu moves me into fourth and Ray Price is on the way out, I think the only way I can win now is if Mickey Duff dies, or James R Young a) dies and B) obits. For a man who was the 33rd best paid CEO in America last year, his illness has been kept massively off the internet.

http://www.katherine...co.uk/blog.html

Katherine Crowe in her lattest blog said can move and walk and she hasn't been able to in ages. She also stated she fully excpects to be around for Christmas. It's beginning to look like she will see the year out(unless she is just being wishful) which is a huge blow for a few teams near the top while for teams without her could be the difference in victory or not.

*exhales a massive sigh of relief*

Only to be replaced by expletives when James R Young dies in a freak parachuting accident on the 13th November, with Alice Munro to celebrate her Nobel Prize win.

Crowe was my last real hope at a hit so pretty much game over for me. Not too miffed though as it's still a solid performance overall, even if I drop a few places on the scoreboard (which will most likely be the case, since Price's demise looks inevitable and that would propel Spade to 2nd) my end total this year makes for one of the best rookie performances in a long while.

It seems like the young terminally ill picks always go one of two ways:

A. They're likely to obit but last much longer than anyone expects them to (Crowe and Granger providing examples of this right now, and Lisa Lynch lasted a year past her expected due date)

B. They die pretty quickly but are barely picked since no one expects them to obit (see Jo Bryant and GSE Lee, though the latter did obit)

I still think you could get a hit with Jaruzelski and Franz. Even if they don't have any immenently life threatening conditions they are at the age when something as common as the flu could do them in any day.

Possibilities yes, especially since winter tends to be oldie season, but I don't think they're great likelihoods at this point at least not too much more than the rest of the elderly picks on high-up teams.

And then two weeks later a fatal hydrogen explosion occurs in Werner Franz's residence with no water tank to save him :P

Independent on Sunday confirm that the death of Roberta Cowell was on 11th October 2011...

Fag packeted the remaining picks for the top 12 teams, this is what I came up with:

SEVEN PICKS

Clive James

Katherine Crowe

SIX PICKS

Sandy Jardine (includes one joker)

FIVE PICKS

Nelson Mandela

FOUR PICKS

General Wojciech Jaruzelski

George H. W. Bush, Sr.

Kate Granger

Ryan Buell (includes one joker)

Superstar Billy Graham

THREE PICKS

Francis George

Marcia Strassman

Ray Price

TWO PICKS

Bashar Al-Assad

Chris Woodhead

Ian Farmer

Mike Porcaro

Ronnie Biggs

Zsa Zsa Gabor

ONE PICK (UNIQUE)

Árpád Pusztai

Bairbre de Brún

Bhanu Athaiya

Candye Kane

Chick Willis

Dennis James

J. L. Lewis

Jackie Selebi

James R. Young

Jamie Daniel

Kim Kyong-hui

Margaret Mackintosh

Nguyen Ngoc Tho

Wayne Osmond

Werner Franz

ONE PICK (non-unique)

Adolfo Suárez

Alice Munro

Barry Kilby

Brian Shivers

Clark Terry

Dennis "Fergie" Frederiksen

Dora Bryan

Fidel Castro

Henry McCullough

Hosni Mubarak

Janet Fielding

Jo Bryant

John Edrich

Kim Fowley

Kristin Hallenga

Manoel de Oliveira

Mary Tyler Moore

Mickey Duff

Mikhail Kalashnikov

Paul Madeley

Ron Hynes

Rubin "Hurricane" Carter

Run Run Shaw

Ryan O'Neal

Saif al-Islam Gaddafi

Salvatore Iaconesi

Scott Thorson

Terry Biddlecombe

Tito Vilanova

Can easily see another six, seven of those dying over the next two months. Crowe, James and Jardine are probably safe though.

Also, nobody has seen Nguyen Ngoc Tho since 1992, so I think he's probably dead. 105-year-old former world leaders tend to be noticed.

Spencer C Tucker (who knows a thing or two about military history I gather, given they named the award for it after him) has an Encyclopedia of the Vietnam War out, in which he notes Tho's death date as unknown. Given he omits death dates from folk not dead, its pretty fair to say the guy is pan breed.

Hi guys. Was just reading the DDP update and noticed that Jack Pardee is still on the list of the lost.

Just read the entire Katherine Crowe blog entry myself (le sigh). Sounds to me more like positive thinking than any actual medical pro telling her she'll see 2014 or Xmas. And, she's still in hospice. I haven't given up, and neither will she evidently...

If this were early in the year I'd agree but she's relatively pain-free and able to walk as we're heading into November. While her illness will kill her eventually she easily has enough strength to handle another two months.

Hi guys. Was just reading the DDP update and noticed that Jack Pardee is still on the list of the lost.

Maybe TMIB is waiting for a proper obit and not just a Yahoo sports Blog.

If Blogs are counting as valid Obits I see some huge scores next year.

Neither are likely to get obits as we are only aware of their deaths several months later.

Good work, WEP...

Neither are likely to get obits as we are only aware of their deaths several months later.

Good work, WEP...

When do entries for 2014 open?

Around the first week of December. It wont be as early as last time...

That would be to try and minimise the sheer number of entries, I guess.

Yup...

I have come up with a new technique for registering the entries which will hopefully save some time...