themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2013

Guest OCIEM!

Following the scoring deaths of Sister Terezita and Toyo Shibata, "One Century Is Enough, Madam!" earns a second non-scoring one: Kaarina Staudinger-Loppukaarre, finnish Artist, died acording to the Finnish Wikipedia on March 1st. She was 101 years old. Her official Homepage does not confirm. Winnie Hook, an other nominee, died back on June 11th.

All hinges on Borgonovo, though - I think he'll get the obit if he goes but he's well enough to write an article for FIFA so who knows? He's done well to last this long with ALS. In hindsight it might have been too much of a gamble to give him the joker

So yeah - hi contenders

Hmmm. Musing on whether to do a quick update tonight, while ol' Nelson is still stable...

Since it's been a few updates since his death, I'm gonna mention that Vince Flynn was a pick this year by Noz4news (and got the obit)

Why doesn't anyone tell me these things?

I tend to assume someone else would have made mention before this point, which tends to be the case...

One other for this month not mentioned on the List of the Missed: Jerome Karle (d.6/6/13),

Whilst I see Frolian Gonzalez becomes the first ever DDP graduate to die on the 12th June.

After failing to pick any unique, erm, picks last year I've done rather well to find three this year: Roberta Cowell (Britain's first male to female transexual who is currently a 94 year old "lady")

I'm rather sorry, on a number of counts, to bring the news that Roberta Cowell is dead. Sadly for Funky Faz, especially so as it's his joker pick, she appears to have died as long ago as 2011 - http://forums.autosport.com/index.php?showtopic=187817&st=0entry6339396

After failing to pick any unique, erm, picks last year I've done rather well to find three this year: Roberta Cowell (Britain's first male to female transexual who is currently a 94 year old "lady")

I'm rather sorry, on a number of counts, to bring the news that Roberta Cowell is dead. Sadly for Funky Faz, especially so as it's his joker pick, she appears to have died as long ago as 2011 - http://forums.autosp...0

Weirdly enough I went to the Croydon Museum last November, and while Ms (nee Mr) Cowell features in some of the exhibits on local figures of note (alongside Captain Sensible), it didn't actually list her as being dead.

I've made a note on her profile that she may have died in 2011 but the options are still open until proper confirmation...

Yes, the Oc could well be regretting leaving out Bernie. Could we have our first debutant winner since 2005?

Long way to go in what is shaping up to be a classic...

Saddest day of the year for Bernie refuseniks like myself. Might have to pay some former provos to go round Sandy Jardine's place and speed the process up so I can get back on track.

• Like 1

Worked out that if Buell, Jardine, Stephen Lewis, Mandela, Metsu and van der Westhuizen go before this is out, I've got a decent chance of winning - I'd end up with 114 points. But that's a long shot as it'd require others' team members not dying, particularly Spade's (and I think it's unlikely that both Kalashnikov and Price will see the year out)

This is very close. Very few unique hits so far. Lots of dying people out there. This will come down to a couple of demises or survivals that we don't expect. I'm regretting leaving Franklin and Anne Williams out at the moment

Funny to think I almost missed out on Nolan myself, had David James not copped out at the last minute.

Oddly fitting that I take the lead on the 4th of July, given what my team name references... Certainly has been a remarkable year, and still almost half of it to go. Wouldn't be surprised if we had at least five teams finishing in the triple digits.

Should be an interesting 2nd half with lot's of possible winners. Other then Jardine and maybe Mandela I think all the popular picks btwn the top 20 or so players have died so it may come down to who comes through on the iffier picks.

I was quite surprised at how few of the leading contenders had Mandela - only DDT of the top 6 and about half the top 20. I suppose there's not a huge pay-off but it's virtually guaranteed points on the board

My third hit in 22 days , i think if they keep dropping like this i have a great chance of ...

....finishing in the top 100 :D

Takes me to 77 points, a personal points best. Mandela apart, that may be it though as most of my others are speculative punts.

Got bored, decided to see who's still alive from the teams within 28 points of the lead (probably the largest difference that you could make up with half the year left), so we can use this as a checklist to see which forthcoming stiffs will really change the game:

Katherine Crowe: 6 selections

Clive James: 5 selections

George HW Bush: 5 selections

Jack Pardee: 5 selections (dead, awaiting obit)

Nelson Mandela: 5 selections

Sandy Jardine: 5 selections (includes one joker pick)

Kate Granger: 4 selections

General Wojcech Jaruzelski: 3 selections

"Superstar" Billy Graham: 3 selections

Ryan Buell: 3 selections (includes one joker pick)

Bashar Al-Assad: 2 selections

Dora Bryan: 2 selections

Francis George: 2 selections

Ian Farmer: 2 selections

Marcia Strassman: 2 selections

Mark Brandon Read: 2 selections

Mike Porcaro: 2 selections

Ray Price: 2 selections

Ronnie Biggs: 2 selections

Rubin "Hurricane" Carter: 2 selections

Scott Thorson: 2 selections

Terry Biddlecombe: 2 selections

Bairbre de Brún: 1 selection (as unique pick)

Bhanu Athaiya: 1 selection (as unique pick)

Chick Willis: 1 selection (as unique pick)

Dennis James: 1 selection (as unique pick) (dead, awaiting obit)

Doreen Keogh: 1 selection (as unique pick)

Jackie Selebi: 1 selection (as unique pick)

James R. Young: 1 selection (as unique pick)

Jamie Daniel: 1 selection (as unique pick)

Kim Kyong-hui : 1 selection (as unique pick)

King Robbo: 1 selection (as unique pick)

Margaret Mackintosh: 1 selection (as unique pick)

Neville Staple: 1 selection (as unique pick)

Wayne Osmond: 1 selection (as unique pick)

Werner Franz: 1 selection (as unique pick)

Adolfo Suárez: 1 selection (non-unique pick)

Alice Munro: 1 selection (non-unique pick)

Barry Kilby: 1 selection (non-unique pick)

Bob Dole: 1 selection (non-unique pick)

Bruno Metsu: 1 selection (non-unique pick)

Chris Woodhead: 1 selection (non-unique pick)

Dennis "Fergie" Frederiksen: 1 selection (non-unique pick)

Fidel Castro: 1 selection (non-unique pick)

Freddie Starr: 1 selection (non-unique pick)

Henry McCullough: 1 selection (non-unique pick)

Janet Fielding: 1 selection (non-unique pick)

Jeremy Thorpe: 1 selection (non-unique pick)

John Edrich: 1 selection (non-unique pick)

Joost van der Westhuizen: 1 selection (non-unique pick)

Kim Fowley: 1 selection (non-unique pick)

Kristin Hallenga: 1 selection (non-unique pick)

Leslie Phillips: 1 selection (non-unique pick)

Mary Tyler Moore: 1 selection (non-unique pick)

Mickey Duff: 1 selection (non-unique pick)

Mikhail Kalashnikov: 1 selection (non-unique pick)

Paul Madeley: 1 selection (non-unique pick)

Penny Marshall: 1 selection (non-unique pick)

Rochus Misch: 1 selection (non-unique pick)

Ryan O'Neal: 1 selection (non-unique pick)

Saif al-Islam Gaddafi: 1 selection (non-unique pick)

Stephen Hawking: 1 selection (non-unique pick)

Stephen Lewis: 1 selection (non-unique pick)

Zsa Zsa Gabor: 1 selection (non-unique pick)

Updated: 12/7: Pran Sikand dead.

Updated: 16/7: T-Model Ford dead

Updated: 21/8: Reg Barnett obitted

• Like 2

So only 1 person has been picked by over half the current top 11, but those 6 that have picked Crowe are currently 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th=, 5th= and 9th

Of the rest, Bush and James aren't guaranteed to go, Mandela probably is but is only worth 5 points, and Pardee probably isn't getting that obit now. Jardine, Granger and Buell are quite important - I'm pleased that I've got 2 of them. Buell and Jardine are the only jokers amongst the top 20 still alive

Everyone else is a toss-up

The above posts are testimony to the growing influence of the threads hereabouts. Plenty of intelligent discussion and deft-picking at the end of last year. I'm well off the pace but well within the top 20 and likely to better the points total that took me to my highest ever DDP finish (5th). So, frankly, we're getting better and the better performers are raising the standard for the rest of us.

Crowe, Granger, James, Biggs and Grace Jones still mock my efforts by breathing but I'll smirk at some of them when my points total hits a personal best. I'll cop for Felix Dennis and Christine Ray (well off the radar since January when her daughter dropped claims against Jimmy Savile's estate) being stinker signings to the team, but we live and learn when our picks just live, eh?

Weirdly enough, Doreen Keogh, a unique pick up there, was one of the final cuts from my team. A friend of mine's grandmother is in the same rest home as her. Apparently she's lost her marbles a bit but still active.

Weirdly enough, Doreen Keogh, a unique pick up there, was one of the final cuts from my team. A friend of mine's grandmother is in the same rest home as her. Apparently she's lost her marbles a bit but still active.

So I take it the Doreen Keogh who died in February last year is a different one?