The Unknown Man

Ideas And Possibilities For 2014

It's just been announced that Brad Drewett, CEO of the ATP (as in tennis), has ALS. Transition period to come

It's just been announced that Brad Drewett, CEO of the ATP (as in tennis), has ALS. Transition period to come

Another sportsman . Seriously why aren't people investigating what causes ALS looking at why a huge amount of extremely fit people and sportsman get

this disease ,the odds of it being a coincidence are pretty long. My theory is the motor neurons get burned out due to extreme demands put on the body or it causes a surge of electricity that shuts down the electronic function in the motor neurons a bit like the way the electricity in a house shuts off if there is a surge.

Yes i wanted to be a scientist when i was young :D

I wonder if head trauma has any correlation or increases someones chances at ALS ?It seems the people who get this disproportionately come at higher rates in sports like boxing,rugby and both american football and world football sports where concussions from head injuries are frequent.

There was talk in Italy of the number of footballers there getting ALS because of chemicals used in the pitch markings in the 1980s

There was talk in Italy of the number of footballers there getting ALS because of chemicals used in the pitch markings in the 1980s

What about the pitch markings in the 90's? Robbie Fowler better watch out, he used to sniff the stuff, or was that coke?

Crossword compiler Reverend John Graham, better known as Araucaria, reveals through a crossword that he has terminal esophageal cancer, which will be treated with palliative care. :skill2:

Interview with Araucaria here. Doesn't sound like he'll be sticking around for 2014.

I'd be very surprised myself, I could perhaps see him lasting to summer though

Last night's Freakzone on Six Music included a shout out for Tim Smith (ironically for a man who called his first band Cardiac Arrest he's been laid low by a major heart attack and a series of strokes), still very unwell, apparently. Deffo the kind of cultish type beloved of obit writers on the broadsheets.

http://en.wikipedia....mith_(Cardiacs)

Shite...sorry, can we move this to possibles for 2014? Thought that's where I was because of all the Garfunkel talk above.

I don't think he's in any danger of dying other than succumbing like we all do in the end, it's more he's still unable to do many things healthy people take for granted and as he's incapacitated to a degree needs a lot of care.

Nice chap, rather odd, but nice. Still got his 'support' pass from All About Eve's Ultraviolet tour he gave me after what turned out to be the Eves' final gig (until they reformed in 1999 that is).

Valerie Harper of Rhoda fame, who recently has been in the hospital, reveals she was diagnosed with (but beat) lung cancer in 2009.

Lung cancer's view of the same skirmish isn't recorded, though I note Valerie was also hospitalised over fears of a stroke recently. Usually, in such cases, lung cancer's view might be summarised as; "Come back you bastard, we'll call it a draw!" If she's walked away from this round ahead on points...respect to the woman. But the word "unscathed" seldom appears in these accounts.

Valerie Harper of Rhoda fame, who recently has been in the hospital, reveals she was diagnosed with (but beat) lung cancer in 2009.

Lung cancer's view of the same skirmish isn't recorded, though I note Valerie was also hospitalised over fears of a stroke recently. Usually, in such cases, lung cancer's view might be summarised as; "Come back you bastard, we'll call it a draw!" If she's walked away from this round ahead on points...respect to the woman. But the word "unscathed" seldom appears in these accounts.

Mhm, and even if the cancer doesn't pop up again there's still increased frailty as a consequence. She's certainly one to keep an eye on.

I have a hunch Bali Death Row's newest inmate won't be executed this year, or next, but she's probably worthy of debate until we know she's safe:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21137649

Having now seen her picture she will try to get off by claiming she has Assburgers Syndrome.............

• Like 2

Barbara Walters seems to have had a few health problems over the past few years. I did not realise she was as old as she is, though 83 is relatively young compared to some of those on the list.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/showtracker/la-et-st-whoopi-goldberg-barbara-walters-view-20130122,0,3167818.story

Ryan Buell will be appearing at this public symposium deal on the 21st of February. Do we have any Pennsylvania DeathLister who could go along and give us a status report on the big man?

.... and canoe man John Darwin also notably suicidal, not that he's likely to have been able to get a new life insurance policy if he does do the deed.

John Darwin is undergoing treatement for skin cancer, which his doctors have advised him is likely to return.

Not sure what his obit chances would be but Roberto Gomez Bolanos aka Chespirito b.1929, possibly the most famous figure in Latin American TV from his comedy series and the charecter El Chavo is rumored to be in ill health and reliant on an oxygen cylinder for breathing.

This was from a tribute to him in 2012

628x471.jpg

Looking at his Wiki he has about a dozen foreign articles which implies some global recognition as well as the factoid that one of his shows inspired Matt Groening to create Bumblebee Man, (well that probably won't factor into obit chances but it's interesting enough to mention anyway) so I'd say the odds are good he'd get the proper obit.

He has been mentioned elsewhere on this forum, but I think Hitler's Bodyguard would be a good addition to next years list. An article from this month states that Rochus Misch will no longer be answering 'fan mail' due to poor health (Article is in German).

Wiki mentions that he is also terminally ill.

He has been mentioned elsewhere on this forum, but I think Hitler's Bodyguard would be a good addition to next years list. An article from this month states that Rochus Misch will no longer be answering 'fan mail' due to poor health (Article is in German).

I dunno why that site's acting like that's new, he's been in "no-more-fan-mail" mode since mid-2011.

Am I missing something?

Who writes fan mail to Hitler's bodyguard? With the possible exemption of the membership of the BNP.

An article from this month states that Rochus Misch will no longer be answering 'fan mail' due to poor health (Article is in German).

That's German with a strong Hungarian accent. It translates to: "Do you want to go to my place -- bouncy-bouncy?"

regards,

Hein

• Like 2

An article from this month states that Rochus Misch will no longer be answering 'fan mail' due to poor health (Article is in German).

That's German with a strong Hungarian accent. It translates to: "Do you want to go to my place -- bouncy-bouncy?"

regards,

Hein

Perhaps that type of allure is the real reason no one is sending him fan mail.