Book

Club 27

As I checked some celebrity birthdays I noticed that actually there are several potential new members for the very famous Club 27 - but there is no topic! skull3.gif

This special club contains musicians who died at the age of 27.
With the dead of Kurt Cobain in 1994 the idea of the Club 27 was spread out to public because connections were made with the deaths of Brian Jones, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin and Jim Morrison – musicians who has died between 1969 and 1971 under tragic circumstances. A myth was build around the club and with the dead of Amy Winehouse in 2011 there was a large amount of media attention devoted to the club once again.

These five musicians are always credited as the official or the main members of the Club 27 because of their parallel life lines (rock stars, icons, addictions, tragic deaths):

Brian Jones (28.02.1942-03.07.1969), guitarist of the Rolling Stones, drowned at the age of 27 years and 125 days
closeup.jpg

Jimi Hendrix (27.11.1942-18.09.1970), influential musician and pioneering guitarist, asphyxiation at the age of 27 years and 295 days
jimmy-hendrix.jpg

Janis Joplin (19.01.1943-04.10.1970), the Queen of Psychedelic Soul, heroin overdose at the age of 27 years and 258 days
janis_joplin.jpg

Jim Morrison (08.12.1943-03.07.1971), poet and singer of The Doors, heart failure/heroin overdose at the age of 27 years and 207 days
Jim%2BMorrison%2Bpage0_blog_entry55_summ

Kurt Cobain (20.02.1967-05.04.1994), singer/songwriter of Nirvana, suicide by gunshot at the age of 27 years and 44 days
kurt-cobain-signature-227361.jpg

Amy Winehouse is often named as an equal member because of her popularity, her addictions and her tragic life: (14.09.1983-23.07.2011), singer/songwriter, alcohol poisoning at the age of 27 years and 312 days
Amy%2BWinehouse%2Bamy.jpg

Please feel free to pay tribute to other “members” or name the unnamed! rip2.gif

Watch out for future members! skull.gif

• Like 1

One of the unnamed and unofficial members of the Club 27: Alexandra.

Born as Doris Treitz on May 19, 1942, Alexandra became a German chanson singer with songs ahead of their time. Her deep voice and her moody/melancholic songs were different from the popular and cheerful Schlager but her music was well received by the audience and the critics.

On July 31, 1969 Alexandra was killed in a traffic collision at the age of 27 years and 73 days.

Alexandra%2B2_HA_Hambu_113298c.jpg

Watch out for the next potential Club 27 members:

These celebrities are 27 up to…

…2013

Michael Phelps (up to June 29), Ashley Tisdale (up to July 2), Anna Kendrick (up to August 8), Bruno Mars (up to October 7), Jack Osbourne (up to November 7), Carly Rae Jepsen (up to November 20), Janelle Monáe (up to November 30), Amanda Seyfried (up to December 2)

…2014

Mischa Barton (up to January 23), Charlotte Church (up to February 20), Jamie Bell (up to March 13), Lykke Li (up to March 17), Lady Gaga (up to March 27), Amanda Bynes (up to April 2), Robert Pattinson (up to May 12), Alexander Rybak (up to May 12)

These celebrities will turn 27 this year:

Rafael Nadal (on June 3), Shia LeBeouf (on June 11), Ashley Olsen, Mary-Kate Olsen (both on June 13), Lana Del Rey (on June 21), Lindsay Lohan (on July 2), Charlotte Casiraghi (on August 3), Florence Welch (on August 28), Theo Hutchcraft (on August 30), Tinchy Stryder (on September 14), Ellie Goulding (on December 30)

Usain Bolt - 21 August 1986

I would say to look out for these people as possible candidates in 2013-2014

Sara Forestier -October 4,1986(Occasionally Razor Thin Looking French Actress )

Ke$ha - March 1 1987(Pop star with the "persona" of a lush party girl/has a song called"Die Young")

Allegra Versace-June 30,1986(Heiress who has battled anorexia for many years)

Jesse McCartney-April 9, 1987( Boyish Looking Actor/Teen Idol type singer who never quite reached Beiber level famous but still parties like a rock star)

This topic has been covered before although, to be fair, I cannot recall a thread being created about it.

If the thread is to work, may I suggest that names are not plucked out of the air just because they are or are coming up to the age of 27.

Surely the whole point is to find people who are more likely to die at that age than anybody else.

Unless Usain Bolt gets hit by a Train, he is less likely to die that a Formula 1 Racing driver or a Pop star living life to excess, right?

• Like 1

I think the (lol) "rules" of the 27 Club have to be specific to music. Of course it all stems from the fact that Robert Johnson is the most entry level musician in the history of mankind, then you have the glut of late 60s/early 70s corpses topped up with Cobain and Winehouse. The Fortean Times has a decent article on it here. Of course then you get the musicians who died at 27 but aren't really famous other than the fact that they died at 27, like Freaky Tah or that one riot grrrl that got the arse raped off her then murdered.

Anyway, nutjob permanently-coked-off-her-tits enemy of Somali gangsters Joss Stone turns 27 next year, and it's not as if she's of any use to anyone alive.

• Like 1

Although that article has reminded me of how crap D Boon's method of death was. Are him and your man from Metallica the only musicians killed by flying out of a van while asleep?

@ Spade & Lord: Both of you are right: The Club 27 is about musicians (as I wrote above) and we should suggest about realistic possible deaths. My bad.

But I think that there is enough space in this topic so we can expand. We should be "allowed" to talk about actors, athletes, politicians whatever as long as they are dying at 27. I admit that they never will join the "real" club, that's for sure.

So I say: Watch out for Amanda Bynes (as mentioned in several other threads) and Lindsay Lohan (...) because both are living their lives on the edge (sometimes).

Kenny Clutch was an up-and-coming rapper from Oakland, California. He had recently moved to Las Vegas where he was releasing music videos on youtube in order to build a following. In the early hours of February 20, 2013, Kenny Clutch was apparently involved in an altercation that resulted in being fired upon by occupant(s) of another vehicle on the Las Vegas Strip. The shooting reportedly lead to a fiery collision involving Clutch and a taxi cab. The driver of the cab, identified as Michael Bolden, and a passenger were killed in the explosion. Four other vehicles were apparently damaged as the alleged assailant fled the scene in his or her car. In all, six others, besides those killed, were injured. It was not immediately clear if Clutch was killed by gunshot or the resulting crash. Kenny Clutch was 27 years old when he died.kenny-clutch.jpg

Although his recording career remarkably spanned roughly one year, Robert Johnson is considered by many to be the most influential blues artists of all time. And although his entire catalog of recordings fill just two compact discs, Rolling Stone magazine ranked him #5 on their list of the 100 greatest guitarists of all time. He minimal recording output couldn’t deny the considerable vocal, guitar-playing and songwriting talent he possessed. And that fact that not much is known about his history coupled with the fact that only two photographs of him even exist, add to a legend that is as big as any in popular music. Even the most respected historians of music could, at best, find sources who claimed they heard “this” or “that” about Johnson’s life in and around Clarksdale, Mississippi. A popular legend has it that he went to a darkened Mississippi crossroad with his guitar and met a man representing the devil who tuned his guitar and played a few songs on it, there bequeathing Johnson phenomenal guitar skills in exchange for is soul. True or not, Johnson has been called the “grandfather of rock ‘n roll,” a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and has been cited as a direct influence on the likes of Eric Clapton, Muddy Watters, Led Zeppelin, Bob Dylan and Jeff Beck to name just a very few. Robert Johnson’s death is as mysterious as his life,with the most popular, though disputed story being that he drank whiskey that had been laced with strychnine by the jealous husband of a woman Johnson is said to have flirted with at a juke joint. He allegedly died a slow and painful death from the poison a few days later, at the age of just 27. A further testament to the overall mystery surrounding Johnson’s life is the fact there there are three tombstones said to mark his place of burial.

robertjohson.jpg

miazapata.jpg?w=180

Mia Zapata was the powerful lead singer of the highly influential Seattle punk band, the Gits. As a child growing up in Louisville, Zapata was exposed to music by some of the greatest voices in America, Hank Williams, Ray Charles, Bessie Smith and Billie Holiday. While at a Ohio college during the mid ’80s, Zapata co-founded the Gits. In 1989, the band moved to Seattle to be closer to what was quickly becoming a scene of like-minded bands like Nirvana and Mudhoney. The band quickly built a local following partly due the release of a handful of solid singles and their critically acclaimed debut album, Frenching The Bully. Things appeared to be on the verge of taking off for the band when tragedy struck. In the early morning hours of July 7, 1993, Zapata left a friend’s apartment to presumably walk or catch a cab home. She never made it. Police reports indicate that she was beaten, raped and strangled at approximately 2:15 am, her body left in a “Christ like” pose in the middle of the street. Her murder would go unsolved for ten years until a DNA match linked a Florida man to the crime. He was convicted of Mia Zapata’s murder on March 25, 2004

The 3 posts above were taken from the music's over website.

Guest Guest

Peaches Geldof never could count very well :unsure:

Peaches Geldof never could count very well :unsure:

Nor was she a musician :rolleyes:

(The) deathlist is 27... for another month. :pop:

Somebody better keep it away from the heroin then.

(The) deathlist is 27... for another month. :pop:

Somebody better keep it away from the heroin then.

and Oscar Pistorius!

• Like 1

Well, Rihanna is turning 27 in about two weeks and I think it could be her last birthday. But then again, I thought the same about Lady Gaga (who's almost 29 now, and still alive. Well, kind of) and about Kesha (who only has a few weeks until she turns 28) so I'm not good at predicting these things.

What do you think?

There's already a thread for this.

Edited by Magere Hein
Topics merged

Well, Rihanna is turning 27 in about two weeks and I think it could be her last birthday. But then again, I thought the same about Lady Gaga (who's almost 29 now, and still alive. Well, kind of) and about Kesha (who only has a few weeks until she turns 28) so I'm not good at predicting these things.

What do you think?

The next person who joins the 27 club probably won't be some well known singer/actor. Odds are it will be some Indie Rock/Electropop artist only known mostly by Hipsters or Music Reviewers since there seems to be thousands of acts like that making music now.

Oh, also. There's this new artist Bea Miller who is only 16 but I have a feeling she'll become a drug addict and die at 27.

Just remember: If it does happen, I called it 11 years before!

• Like 2

Oh, also. Justin Bieber will die at 27, if he's lucky enough not to go earlier.

He's only 24 so this is a bit early, but has anyone else noticed Ed Sheeran's very comfortable relationship with getting hammered. The highlight was probably the Jonathan Ross show at Christmas where he decided to drink himself silly next to a former alcoholic and teetotaller. Potential long game candidate for the 27 club?

He's only 24 so this is a bit early, but has anyone else noticed Ed Sheeran's very comfortable relationship with getting hammered. The highlight was probably the Jonathan Ross show at Christmas where he decided to drink himself silly next to a former alcoholic and teetotaller. Potential long game candidate for the 27 club?

Those three years can't come soon enough...

• Like 1