Sign in to follow this  
Davey Jones' Locker

Deathlist 2014

Do not be faint hearted in the record year of 2003 the first hit did not come till the beginning of March.

Do not be faint hearted in the record year of 2003 the first hit did not come till the beginning of March.

Totally selfish of me but...

If the next Deathrace hit was 1 March we'd be in danger of repeating the nightmare scenario we once saw in which nobody hit a winning points total all year. I'm not sweating my other teams like the HPDP or DDP (where a few bankers like Wilko Johnson and Sally Farmiloe might hang on for months), just anxious to stage a decent Deathrace and slightly embarrassed to be sitting on top of my own rankings.

Totally selfish of me but...

If the next Deathrace hit was 1 March we'd be in danger of repeating the nightmare scenario we once saw in which nobody hit a winning points total all year. I'm not sweating my other teams like the HPDP or DDP (where a few bankers like Wilko Johnson and Sally Farmiloe might hang on for months), just anxious to stage a decent Deathrace and slightly embarrassed to be sitting on top of my own rankings.

I was thinking about this last night and trying to do the mental arithmatic - basically we need six or seven hits before the calander dips below 300 (6th March). I have no points yet in any of my teams.

I also have noticed no Richard Attenborough on the list this year. Thought he was a stayer. Ho hum.

Does anyone else think we're "owed" a big one soon? Someone like Castro perhaps? Maybe it's just the wishful thinking that overtakes you when there's been a bit of a "dry spell", but....

Here's a reminder of what he looked like on a recent public appearance:

fidel-castro-cuba-2014-wilfredo-lam-presidente.jpg

Come on, I dare you to tell me he doesn't look like someone who's at the stage where he's banned his staff/nurses from wearing sandals because every time he hears someone walking in them he thinks it's the fucking Grim Reaper.

Guest Guest
Does anyone else think we're "owed" a big one soon? Someone like Castro perhaps? Maybe it's just the wishful thinking that overtakes you when there's been a bit of a "dry spell", but.... Here's a reminder of what he looked like on a recent public appearance: fidel-castro-cuba-2014-wilfredo-lam-presidente.jpg Come on, I dare you to tell me he doesn't look like someone who's at the stage where he's banned his staff/nurses from wearing sandals because every time he hears someone walking in them he thinks it's the fucking Grim Reaper.

I think we have now entered a quiet period where there won't be any major deaths for a while.We'll just have to be patient I'm afraid! Castro will probably last a couple more years yet.

PS I'm going to look really stupid if Castro does die now lol

Can we please get a proper description for poor Sid Ceasar's death?

This celeb death drought is making me think of real droughts. Like the bad ones Yorkshire has had over the years. A few little historical tidbits here. There was one in 1976 that was super-really-awful bad. Also I know about the one from the 90s when the head of Yorkshire Water announced he had given up taking a bath or shower for something like 3 or 6 months in order to save water. I feel sorry for his relatives. If they could actually tell the difference that is.

In that spirit, can I plead with DLers to ask their elderly/terminally fucked loved ones to hang on as long and hard as they can so that hopefully, the Grim Reaper gets bored/frustrated with them and, instead he will go off and try to nobble some celebs instead?

Hanningfield_droug_2194299b.jpg

Death's cup runneth dry.....

On Sunday (17th March) St Patrick's day if we do not get a hit we will fall behind 2003 which was a pretty poor year. On a pro rata basis we could fail to hit double figures this year.

Maybe Patrick McNee will oblige for St Patrick's day or Peter O' Sullevan.

Not quite sure you meant 2003.

In fairness, it's not the DeathList per se - by now most of the DDP hopefuls would have had three or four deaths on the board. All of the 2014 big players - Johnson, Simon, Harper, Graham, Jaruzelski - seem to be checking Trivago for their summer holiday accommodation already.

• Like 1

Well spotted I meant 2011.

2003 was a very good year but all the deaths were clumped in the middle.

In fairness, it's not the DeathList per se - by now most of the DDP hopefuls would have had three or four deaths on the board. All of the 2014 big players - Johnson, Simon, Harper, Graham, Jaruzelski - seem to be checking Trivago for their summer holiday accommodation already.

I haven't had one hit from sixty picks.

Surely something soon......

People. I feel your pain. Really wanted to put on the usual wham, bam Deathlist show and see a winner whilst the mornings were still frosty. Statistically, we should have one of the biggies go soon because Graham, Castro etc looked like prime totterers. Not so sure Schumi will deliver, and that Polish bloke I have to rip and copy because I can't spell his name might have flattered to deceive.

Guest Guest

Well spotted I meant 2011.

2003 was a very good year but all the deaths were clumped in the middle.

Cheer up. March is always a good month.There's only been one year in the last 15 with no hits in march (2009).Those with patience will be rewarded (maybe)

Well, so far my attempts to pick actually terminally ill folk has led to an impressive 1/20, but it does mean my bad luck at these things has extended to nobbling nearly 50% of Odstock's field.

A bit like 2010, really. Plenty of hits so far but somewhat diffuse, with the exception of your good self...

It is pretty weird, last year in terms of big top-team DDP picks we had Winner, Presley, Harris, Cliburn, Franklin, and Chavez all worm food by this time. Have a hunch that with this year summer will be a bountiful period. (not spring as it still seems like most major picks have a few months in them)

Today is day 94.

Even in 2011 (bad year) we had notched up four deaths by this time.

However in 2003 there were three deaths within 11 days during March and these were the first hits for the year. 2003 went on to be one of the best years ever.

Are the floodgates going to open soon or is there a long death drought on the horizon?

My gloom is intensified because I am still 0/60 across my three DDP teams and I only have 292 points on the Deathrace.

Today is day 94.

Even in 2011 (bad year) we had notched up four deaths by this time.

However in 2003 there were three deaths within 11 days during March and these were the first hits for the year. 2003 went on to be one of the best years ever.

Are the floodgates going to open soon or is there a long death drought on the horizon?

My gloom is intensified because I am still 0/60 across my three DDP teams and I only have 292 points on the Deathrace.

Ooh fuck.... sorry pal. Didn't realise! I swear I thought I saw a few names on your list that were also on mine. Obviously they weren't Tony Benn and Ariel Sharon then.

As for DL........ I strongly suspect there will be a big summer purge. Don't ask me why.

And even if there isn't I have a big feeling Castro will go during the summer, and that'll be good enough for me. I am tipping Castro heavily. Because that's all I can do. If I could, I'd heavily tip him into the same shark-infested seas that millions of his poor fucking subjects have braved to try to escape his regime. But I can't.

Guest J Doobie

Wilko Johnson fooled us all good, let's grab the pitchforks.

Guest Guest

I'm bored rigid.If someone from th list doesn't die in the next day or 2 I think I might kill myself

*quietly prays*

Dear god, please let all 48 remaining candidates survive the next 2 days

Thanks.

• Like 2