Sign in to follow this  
Davey Jones' Locker

Deathlist 2014

No Mohammed Ali put back on the list from 2012?

His passing will be the biggest of the year, when he does eventually go!

I do hope the DL Committee will except the strong criticism if Ali hears the final bell, this year!

There is no topic for Luise Rainer :(

Should have taken note!

It went little reported and those who are not readers of Norman Tebbit’s blog may have missed this pre-Christmas:

In the small hours of Friday morning I was awakened by severe pains in my chest. I slipped out of bed and went to call my wife’s carer for help. She dialled 999 and very quickly an ambulance arrive at the front door, I was carried out and whisked off to A&E. It was mercifully quiet and I was rapidly admitted to the cardiac unit which had already been advised that I had a heart rate of up to 200. Well-qualified staff were on duty, and dealt with what was a most unwelcome and extreme return of a problem for which I had been treated in London over a decade earlier.

Good call on Casey Kasem but no Jaruzelski? Feels like someone lost the post-it with his name on...!?

This list feels like the DL compilers have gone fully professional, the era of Corinthian spirit deadpooling is over.

I would liked more spectacular-known celebs. some of the deathlist you even dont found in wiki

• Like 1

Guest SteveK

I agree with the previous post. Who the hell are Wilko Johnson, Chris Woodhead, and Joost van der Westhuizen??

Never heard of them, and I'm reasonably well informed.

Many poor choices, replace the DeathList Committee!!

I agree with the previous post. Who the hell are Wilko Johnson, Chris Woodhead, and Joost van der Westhuizen??

Wilko Johnson is a musician , Chris Woodhead used to be an offsted inspector and Joost van der Westhuizen is a south african rugby player.

Clearly not.

• Like 6

As an Aussie, I do

Wilko Johnson is a musician , Chris Woodhead used to be an offsted inspector and Joost van der Westhuizen is a south african rugby player.

As an Aussie, I don't know those guys (or a few of the others like Shaw Taylor) either but overall, I think they have done a good job of mostly going with internationally-known celebs this time around. There seems to be a strong emphasis on classic Hollywood this year, with so many golden age actors on the list. A sprinkling of crooners, writers and a few long-standing favourites like the Duke of Edinburgh and Vera Lynn make it a fairly good list, IMHO. Maybe not a potebtial record breaker but a good mix of very famous people and those few obscurities that will make it an interesting year to observe.

I just noticed that btwn Stephen Hawking,Mickey Rooney ,Casey Kasem,Kirk Douglas,Tony Bennett,Valerie Harper,Ed Asner,Stan Lee,Jerry Lewis, and Sam Simon and loosely George Bush and Fidel Castro that this list is probably the most people on The Deathlist in a year with ties to The Simpsons. Would also be a couple people away in itself to being a decent DDP Theme Team.

The ones I don't know, I look up. And I see why they were chosen.

• Like 3

I feel like the list is pretty good. I would have included Ali, but no big objections to the list. Nancy Reagan would also probably be there. Solid job as usual

I was surprised not to see the General make a return and thought that Liz Dawn and Tony Benn would have been good picks.

Not too sure about the inclusion of P D James and Terry Pratchett but I was one of the neigh sayers who though Peter O' Toole was a bad pick last year.

I think that we should be comfortably in the 10-12 region with this group.

• Like 1

Guest Guest

I'm sorry to have to say this but I don't think this will be a good year for deathlist.You might struggle to get into double figures. Too many healthy people like Vera Lynn and PD James on it.I can tell you for certain that Lord Carrington and Denis Healey are NOT going to die this year .I was amazed that Nancy Reagan was taken off it given her frailty and desire to join her husband in heaven. Very dissappointing list I'm afraid :(

Guest jalbertini

Nobody wants to bet on E. Snowden? This is a risky gamble but it will bring a touch of originality concerning the king of death.

Nobody wants to bet on E. Snowden? This is a risky gamble but it will bring a touch of originality concerning the king of death.

I would go for Assange before Snowden.

I wanna see how many of the 50 DL picks I had heard of before they were picked.

Wilko Johnson: Nope

Billy Graham: Sort of, but since there are 2 of them, I forget who is who

Eli Wallach: Yeah, definitly

Sam Simon: Not really

Zsa Zsa Gabor: Yes, long before she got legless

Gough Whitlam: Yes

Chapman Pincher: Nope

Luise Rainer: Yeah

Joao Havelange: A huge football profile, so yes

Olivia de Havilland: Yes, I also know a guy who had letter correspondence with her in the 70s

Valerie Harper: Yeah, but not before she got cancer, though

Clive James: No

Denis Healy: No, is he related to Milo O'Shea?

Chris Woodhead: Never heard

Fidel Castro: Yes

Prince Philip: Yeah, but it's kinda strange that a 93 year old is still called a prince, haha

Helmut Schmidt: Yup

Ian Paisley: No

Terry Pratchett: Nope

Joost van der Westhuizen: Who van der What?

Vera Lynn: Yes

Peter O'Sullevan: Another obscure British celebrity...

Kirk Douglas: You bet

Al Molinaro: Yes, though I'm not sure he'll get a Uk obit, to be honest. Was Happy Days a popular show over there?

Peter Carrington: No

PD James: No

Mickey Rooney: Living cinema legend

Jake Lamotta: Yeah

Javier Perez de Cuellar: Since he was in UN, I should probably know of him, but I don't recall. Back to the school bench...

Peter Sallis: Vaguely

Abe Vigoda: Yes

Stephen Hawking: The guy in wheelchair!

Stan Lee: Yeah

Patrick Macnee: Surprisingly, I do know about him

Denis Norden: Nope

James Randi: No

Sid Caesar: Yes

George Bush Sr: Yea

Charles Aznavour: I've heard of him, yeah

Lauren Bacall: Of course

Casey Kasem: Nope

Shaw Taylor: Sorry, Shaw. Don't recognize ya

Dick van Dyke: Yes, seen his show many times

BB King: Yes

Jerry Lewis: Duh

Tony Bennett: Well, yeah, sorta

Fats Domino: Sure

Ed Asner: Yep

Christopher Lee: Only the coolest 90+ guy in the world

Ian Brady: Was he in The Brady Bunch?

32/50.

^ FFS

I'm thinking you may not have heard of books.

I guess you may have seen a bit of TV (Maybe not the news) but a few light entertainment shows.

Wiki? may have passed you by.

Internet - what do you mean no? - well surely you should 'cus you have just been using it...

Or was that someone else?

Education?

Can't be serious?

• Like 2

^ FFS

I'm thinking you may not have heard of books.

I guess you may have seen a bit of TV (Maybe not the news) but a few light entertainment shows.

Wiki? may have passed you by.

Internet - what do you mean no? - well surely you should 'cus you have just been using it...

Or was that someone else?

Education?

Can't be serious?

No, I'm actually being serious. Several of these people are not familiar to me, and they are not household names in Sweden. Or anyhere outside of Uk. Is this really an issue? Well, anyways, I think longterm, which means that my knowledge of things keeps growing for every day. I'm only 20.

No need to get all worked up and question my education that I work hard for at college level. Thanks! :)

• Like 1

its a fair shout for a Brit orientated list to a non Brit imo...

49/50 btw without googling....

• Like 1

The only one I had to google about was James Randi. I looked him up a couple of years ago and then I'd promptly forgotten until he was on this year's list and had to google him again.

I'm sorry to have to say this but I don't think this will be a good year for deathlist.You might struggle to get into double figures. Too many healthy people like Vera Lynn and PD James on it.I can tell you for certain that Lord Carrington and Denis Healey are NOT going to die this year .I was amazed that Nancy Reagan was taken off it given her frailty and desire to join her husband in heaven. Very dissappointing list I'm afraid :(

You said that last year. Now either register or just shut the fuck up

Kids today, I ask yer?

Actually I better not, since, I'm fairly sure you won't know!