Sign in to follow this  
Death Watch Beatle

Ken Russell

most annoying has to be that tabloid journalist who is trying to make out she's there undercover getting a scoop or something, rather than being another sad old attention-seeker.

Another person I've worked with. She half scared me to death at first (very forthright to put it mildly) but she was alright. Better than Jane 'Twunt' Moore anyway.

Anyway, here's hoping the first BB death will be when Jade goes in this weekend :referee:

Yeah, I hate Jane Moore - the definitive tabloid snide... :)

"Lair of the White Worm" Amanda Donohoe's character seduces a boy scout and bites his cock off, nothing pervy there then. :referee:

I quite agree.

Isn't Ken Russell sort of a pervy film director?

Right in one. Nuns' bums in The Devils I recall. Then there was Glenda Jackson baring her scrawny frame in Sons and Lovers, not to mention the "duelling cocks" scene between Oliver Reed and Alan Bates.

I do sometimes despair of this forum. In what way is Ken Russel a "pervy" film driector. Unless there is something "pervy" in his private life that I am unaware of. There certainly isn't anything "pervy" in any of his films, unless you count nudity and sex perverted in themselves.

There, there Millwall, don't despair. At least not about the DL forum, I'd be more concerned about your footie team.

From Ken Russell's Wikipedia blurb:

"1970s and controversy

Ken Russell's 1969 film Women in Love, based on the novel by D. H. Lawrence had won an Oscar for Glenda Jackson and broke the cinema taboo on full frontal male nudity. More importantly, it was the third biggest money-maker of the year in the UK, and it put Ken Russell on a path of box-office success without equal in the British cinema. He followed Women in Love with a string of innovatory adult themed films which were often as controversial as they were successful."

Based also on the tidbits offered by Godot, TF et al above, I'm gonna stick with pervy. And how about Richard Attenborough for Britain's most famous film director? Interestingly, he apparently once formed a company called Beaver Films, which I'd have thought would fall more squarely in Ken Russell's genre......

In what way does that description of Women In Love make the film sound pervy?

As to his self-agrandisement, I think one could construct an (admittedly weak) argument about Russell being the most famous living British film director. Though I would trust KR himself to make the most fo that argument.

As to whether he is a good director or not, I would take the list of his feature films below (from the same wikipedia entry incidentally) and suggest that it contains one masterpiece, a few near masterpieces, several works of flawed genius, two straightforwardly awful films and many enjoyably camp nonsenses;

French Dressing

Billion-Dollar Brain

Women in Love

The Music Lovers

The Boy Friend

The Devils

Savage Messiah

Mahler

Tommy

Lisztomania

Valentino

Altered States

Crimes of Passion

Gothic

Aria (short segment)

Lair of the White Worm

Salome's Last Dance

Whore (a.k.a. If you Can't Say It, Just See It)

Prisoner of Honor (HBO television movie)

Mindbender

Tracked (a.k.a. Dogboys)

The Lion's Mouth

The Fall of the House of Usher

Yeah, I hate Jane Moore - the definitive tabloid snide... :referee:

A right sanctomonius bitch -once I had the misfortune to spend time in her company. It's not something I'd happily repeat unless bribed large amounts of ££££. I'm glad to see she's aging badly. :)

At the risk of revealing that I actually watched Celebrity Big Brother the other night, I don't think Ken did actually describe himself as Britain's best known film director - I believe Davina described him as that. In the house, as new housemates were arriving, he was describing himself as 'just some old film director', or words to that effect. Admittedly I was eating large amounts of celery and Laughing Cow cheese at the time, so I may have misheard and will happily stand corrected. :referee:

At the risk of revealing that I actually watched Celebrity Big Brother the other night, I don't think Ken did actually describe himself as Britain's best known film director - I believe Davina described him as that. In the house, as new housemates were arriving, he was describing himself as 'just some old film director', or words to that effect. Admittedly I was eating large amounts of celery and Laughing Cow cheese at the time, so I may have misheard and will happily stand corrected. :referee:

I too am reluctant to reveal it but I think he said he was "an old British film director from way back".

At the risk of revealing that I actually watched Celebrity Big Brother the other night, I don't think Ken did actually describe himself as Britain's best known film director - I believe Davina described him as that. In the house, as new housemates were arriving, he was describing himself as 'just some old film director', or words to that effect. Admittedly I was eating large amounts of celery and Laughing Cow cheese at the time, so I may have misheard and will happily stand corrected. :)

I think he bigged himself up in the short introductory film that preceded each celeb entry into the house. Yes I did watch it. :referee:

Ah, that may be it then - I think I was in the kitchen spreading cheese when that bit was on. Either way, none of the people in there has gripped me enough to want to watch it.

ok, I stand corrected, when he entered the house he did say "some old film director".

http://film.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/Guar...1982558,00.html

But I'm pretty sure I heard him say it at some point (because I instantly thought, you pompous old fool), so TF is likely right it was during his little intro film. Unfortunately it appears there isn't a full transcript of Celeb BB posted anywhere on the internet. Lame.

As to his self-agrandisement, I think one could construct an (admittedly weak) argument about Russell being the most famous living British film director. Though I would trust KR himself to make the most fo that argument.

Ridley and Tony Scott are far better and far more famous.

Ken Loach is better and probably more famous. Peter Watkins is better. Sir Richard Attenborough is better and more famous. Nicholas Roeg is infinitely better. Mike Leigh and Richard Curtis are both better.

If Ken Russell is anywhere, he is propping up the Premiership relegation zone (pervy section).

Ridley and Tony Scott are far better and far more famous.

Ken Loach is better and probably more famous. Peter Watkins is better. Sir Richard Attenborough is better and more famous. Nicholas Roeg is infinitely better. Mike Leigh and Richard Curtis are both better.

If Ken Russell is anywhere, he is propping up the Premiership relegation zone (pervy section).

Isn't Ken Annakin still alive? One could even argue he deserves a fair mention in the Top 20. Hell, George Lucas loved his work so much he named his main character in Star Wars after him. :)

Sons and Lovers started 10 mins ago on Film 4. Another chance to see Slenda Glenda + Ollie and Alan's fireside joust. I'm off to read a book instead.

Sons and Lovers started 10 mins ago on Film 4. Another chance to see Slenda Glenda + Ollie and Alan's fireside joust. I'm off to read a book instead.

A chance for the constituents of Hampstead & Highgate to see a little more of Glenda Jackson...

If you know what I mean.... :)

Isn't Ken Russell sort of a pervy film director?

Right in one. Nuns' bums in The Devils I recall. Then there was Glenda Jackson baring her scrawny frame in Sons and Lovers, not to mention the "duelling cocks" scene between Oliver Reed and Alan Bates.

I do sometimes despair of this forum. In what way is Ken Russel a "pervy" film driector. Unless there is something "pervy" in his private life that I am unaware of. There certainly isn't anything "pervy" in any of his films, unless you count nudity and sex perverted in themselves.

You have to remember that in anglo-saxon culture these days, anything involving nudity or sex is by definition perverted, paedofile or usually both. Also it was interesting to follow the logic of the Daily Mail article arguing that having Page 3 was a direct cause of the Ipswich murders.

The rest of the world seems to have a different opinion about sex, I wonder why.

I get the impression that he doesn't like Jade.

Perhaps we could arrange a reunion in 2008?

I don't really get why the likes of Ken Russell, or that Donny/Sid Viscous guy, or Germaine Greer even bother going on shows like BB in the first place. Surely they must have people in their lives who have seen the show to tell them what it's all about. Did Ken expect he'd be sharing digs with a troupe of Shakesperian actors for the month? Dumbass. I hope C4's deal with them is along the lines of, "If you stay until the end or you're voted out, you get £xxx, if you leave early, you get nothing".

I hope C4's deal with them is along the lines of, "If you stay until the end or you're voted out, you get £xxx, if you leave early, you get nothing".

You mean they don't have to pay for the privilege to be there and make fools of themselves? :o

regards,

Hein

Excerpt from The Sun as to why he left the BB House:

"Ken, who had hospital superbug MRSA in 2004 and has already had a stroke, added: "I thought, if this is going to go on for 25 days I can't take it'. I was worried I'd have another stroke."

However, his wife is fairly young so I'm sure she'll keep him going for a while yet! :lol: