Sign in to follow this  
themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2015

You still have not recorded the death of Jeffrey Segal.

Is he considered Lost?

Is he considered Lost?

He is considered lost, but he's a bit further down that list as the LofL and LotM are now running the other way round than previous years, with the latest stiff first, just as with the normal hits.

Talking of which the scoring pages have now been updated. I forgot to upload those pages last night...

• Like 2

Is he considered Lost?

He is considered lost, but he's a bit further down that list as the LofL and LotM are now running the other way round than previous years, with the latest stiff first, just as with the normal hits.

Talking of which the scoring pages have now been updated. I forgot to upload those pages last night...

Ah, should've gone to Deathrace, then, where his obituary - since deleted online - in The Stage would have counted for points.

You still have not recorded the death of Jeffrey Segal. Is he considered Lost?

He is considered lost, but he's a bit further down that list as the LofL and LotM are now running the other way round than previous years, with the latest stiff first, just as with the normal hits. Talking of which the scoring pages have now been updated. I forgot to upload those pages last night...

Ah, should've gone to Deathrace, then, where his obituary - since deleted online - in The Stage would have counted for points.

Is Segal actually dead? The Stage obituary was the only online news report I ever saw, is there anything else to confirm it? Seems odd that The Stage have deleted the page and that theres been no other obituary to a pretty recognisble character actor?

He is considered lost, but he's a bit further down that list as the LofL and LotM are now running the other way round than previous years, with the latest stiff first, just as with the normal hits. Talking of which the scoring pages have now been updated. I forgot to upload those pages last night...

Is Segal actually dead? The Stage obituary was the only online news report I ever saw, is there anything else to confirm it? Seems odd that The Stage have deleted the page and that theres been no other obituary to a pretty recognisble character actor?

That is a very good question. This had occurred to me but following on from the Gerald Sim issue I wasn't quite sure what to believe.

How do we get a definitive answer?

I bet you get this question all the time, so sorry if I'll annoy you, but why are only UK obits valid for the DDP? Can't you change it to English-language, or at least UK and US?

That is a very good question. This had occurred to me but following on from the Gerald Sim issue I wasn't quite sure what to believe.

Email The Stage and ask?

Email The Stage and ask?

Next best thing I sent a tweet.

Guest WEP

"I bet you get this question all the time, so sorry if I'll annoy you, but why are only UK obits valid for the DDP? Can't you change it to English-language, or at least UK and US?"

And maybe French, German, Italian, Arabic, Chinese, Spanish and Japanese Websites?

And national news wires from Australien, Kiribati and Peru?

"I bet you get this question all the time, so sorry if I'll annoy you, but why are only UK obits valid for the DDP? Can't you change it to English-language, or at least UK and US?"

And maybe French, German, Italian, Arabic, Chinese, Spanish and Japanese Websites?

And national news wires from Australien, Kiribati and Peru?

Oh come on!

I wasn't asking for Kazakh or Ugandian obits, just English-language. There are many respectable US news websites (ABC, NBC, CBS) and I think their obits should qualify.

I bet you get this question all the time, so sorry if I'll annoy you, but why are only UK obits valid for the DDP? Can't you change it to English-language, or at least UK and US?

Perhaps the "Derby" bit in DDP gives a clue. :reading-glasses:

• Like 1

I think it's fair as it stands (although to some extent I don't understand why the Belfast Telegraph isn't included, British rather than UK, I guess?). There is an element of skill in picking obituary worthy nationally in "Britain", I wouldn't want to see it opened up to first ladies of US governors and the like, or even this story about Gary Dahl, inventor of the Pet Rock, unless he was obit worthy in the UK. http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2015/03/27/gary-dahl-bay-area-inventor-pet-rock-dies/

I think it's fair as it stands (although to some extent I don't understand why the Belfast Telegraph isn't included, British rather than UK, I guess?). There is an element of skill in picking obituary worthy nationally in "Britain", I wouldn't want to see it opened up to first ladies of US governors and the like, or even this story about Gary Dahl, inventor of the Pet Rock, unless he was obit worthy in the UK. http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2015/03/27/gary-dahl-bay-area-inventor-pet-rock-dies/

The Belfast Telegraph would be considered a regional paper. The key is finding something that will run Nationally. For both Val Biro and Gene Kemp there were very good and timely obits from the local press (which didn't count) but the Guardian took a little time to catch up.

By expecting a UK national obit you at least keep this on a level where everyone has at least a vague interest in the picks. I am sure we are all aware of people who we know of, who would obit locally and who are very ill but without the celebrity angle this will become a list of "I know more sick people than you"

There is always the Deathrace for former Mayors of Devizes

• Like 1

Well, I guess it's not that bad.

Sure, if I were to make some DDP teams out of My Personal Deathlist 2015, about 10 people wouldn't get obits (e.g. George Ryan, the former Governor of Illinois). But that's not bad.

Much as I deplore the fate of my theme team picks this season, I rather like the current DDP obit approval rule. It's part of the challange.

Now that I think of it, I wonder how many Low Countries dead get a DDP approved obit each year. I'd be surprised if the number would pass 20.

Sure, if I were to make some DDP teams out of My Personal Deathlist 2015, about 10 people wouldn't get obits (e.g. George Ryan, the former Governor of Illinois). But that's not bad.

Looking at the list in your signature there are about 5 names that I do not recognise. Some US politicians do get UK obits but it wouldn't be guaranteed. But your personal list is just that and we would respect your right to post about anyone on it.

Much as I deplore the fate of my theme team picks this season, I rather like the current DDP obit approval rule. It's part of the challange.

Now that I think of it, I wonder how many Low Countries dead get a DDP approved obit each year. I'd be surprised if the number would pass 20.

To be honest on slow news days they would probably run an obit for your pet dog but deaths often cluster and you can lose some reasonable bankers amongst the noise. I am still surprised Jane Baker didn't get one. (Not my pick btw)

I'm amazed as you are MH, sadly in the UK unless you are a footballer or darts player, I think it less rather than more likely for a qualifying obit. (Ooh, darts players for next year...*makes note*).

I'm amazed as you are MH, sadly in the UK unless you are a footballer or darts player, I think it less rather than more likely for a qualifying obit. (Ooh, darts players for next year...*makes note*).

To be fair many footballers may not get the national coverage because there is such a long gap between their career and their death. If they die early or are a national hero they may only get coverage in the regional press for the team they played for.

There is an element of skill in picking obituary worthy nationally in "Britain", I wouldn't want to see it opened up to first ladies of US governors and the like, or even this story about Gary Dahl, inventor of the Pet Rock, unless he was obit worthy in the UK. http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2015/03/27/gary-dahl-bay-area-inventor-pet-rock-dies/

I agree. I'm even inclined to wish that the Daily Mail was excluded because of the obscure nobodies regularly featured therein.

• Like 1

Looking at the list in your signature there are about 5 names that I do not recognise. Some US politicians do get UK obits but it wouldn't be guaranteed. But your personal list is just that and we would respect your right to post about anyone on it.

I'm just asking out of curiosity - who didn't you recognize?

Guest WEP

And national news wires from Australia, Kiribati and Peru?

Oh come on!

I wasn't asking for Kazakh or Ugandian obits, just English-language. There are many respectable US news websites (ABC, NBC, CBS) and I think their obits should qualify.

Well, Kiribati and Australia are English-speaking countries. As well is Canada...

There are a few more categories: royalty, very old former prime ministers, Nobel Prize winners, ESC winners, Rutger Hauer.

The problem with darts players is that the oldest and unhealthiest of the Dutch crop is RVB. Obit assured, but nowhere near death. I don't expect RVB to live well past retirement age; I tried him on my theme team a few times, with disappointing results.