Sign in to follow this  
themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2015

Guest I D I O T

Richard L. Bare, "Green Acres", has died at 101.

Why is a "u with umlaut" spelled "ue" in English? It doesn't mimic the pronunciation. It always throws me because it looks like a spelling mistake.

Guenter Grass, author of The Tin Drum, dies at 87. http://www.dailymail...m--dies-87.html

Edit: BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32285705

This is sad... but a hit is a hit!

And an unlucky 13 hit too by the looks of it as well as unique.

Edit: Full Telegraph Obit http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/11532359/Gunter-Grass-author-obituary.html

• Like 1

I like the way orbits sound I think I will now use that instead of obits or obituary. ^_^

What goes around....

• Like 1

Still not found a UK qualifying obit.

Well, this one is from the "Telegraph" (arf!)

http://www.cowboysindians.com/Blog/April-2015/RIP-Richard-L-Bare/

The guy who runs the DDP does read the rest of the forum Willz, it's OK.

The guy who runs the DDP does read the rest of the forum Willz, it's OK.

Convenient place for qualifying or improved obits I thought. One stop shop. Seen folks post obits in the forum after I've posted them here. I shall cease and desist at once of course. (Edit: unless of course it's one of mine mwahahaha)

PS my obit for Sledge is not the same as Sir Cs. :rolleyes:

I relegated Percy Sledge to the subs bench at the very last minute - after hovering above the send button for several seconds. I had the bright idea of replacing him with Ed Drummond, a rather obscure poet and rock climber, of whom I haven't read anything about since and who would be lucky to manage an obituary anyway.

:unsure: It's a funny old game. (Unless you happen to be Ed Drummond or Percy Sledge)

I relegated Percy Sledge to the subs bench at the very last minute - after hovering above the send button for several seconds. I had the bright idea of replacing him with Ed Drummond, a rather obscure poet and rock climber, of whom I haven't read anything about since and who would be lucky to manage an obituary anyway.

:unsure: It's a funny old game. (Unless you happen to be Ed Drummond or Percy Sledge)

Anal cancer? Egad.....

Drat! Sledge could have held on for at a couple of days at least, it's buggered up my update which I was a third of the way through until last night!

May have to do 2 updates in consecutive days - Wed/Thur or Friday.

First quarter of the year over and folks talking as if it's all over. Well, it might be.

Was thinking about this all day today. As far as excluding the terminally ill, who decides when you become terminal? It's fairly clear you can't make or impose that judgement call on the last minute of 31 December. It's a lottery that they might make an amazing recovery, or not obit.

Folks who use their illness to fundraise or blog do gain an element of celebrity, that's an inevitability.

I guess really what the competition boils down to is - how do you feel about winning? If it's gained on the back of the sick and dying, that might say a lot about the society we live in, the winners win on the backs of the least able (I don't subscribe to that). I agree with what was said in another thread, most of us don't want our picks to die. I know it's only a game, like life I know, but I'm intrigued by the motivation (on which I make no judgement call myself) by those who pick on the weakest to gain an (albeit virtual) victory.

I know I'm newish here and this may have been rehearsed before. Just my tuppence. Points are points after all.

In the light of Lauren Hill I have been reassessing these types of deaths. Does Lauren Hill and Steven Sutton provide the counter point to Misao Okawa and Gertrude Weaving. If we plotted the ages of all the picks we would come up with a skewed bell curve with a long leading tail. I imagine the peak of the bell would be somewhere in the 85-90 range. But the deaths of the youngest are as notable as the deaths of the oldest. It is also the changing nature of celebrity and the way social media and the internet have changed our lives.

However because of this I think it is important to keep stringent rules for the DDP on the qualifying nature of obituaries.

• Like 1

Three days no internet, it was like living on a lonely island...

When I saw how many top teams had chosen Percy Sledge, I immediately thought it's a great pick. He's one of these trivia question guys, you don't know the name, but you know the song. I probably made the mistake to go for too many big names in my first entry to the competition. But it's those smaller names who matter more. There are not THAT many "breaking news" events triggered by the death of really great names.

First quarter of the year over and folks talking as if it's all over. Well, it might be.

Was thinking about this all day today. As far as excluding the terminally ill, who decides when you become terminal? It's fairly clear you can't make or impose that judgement call on the last minute of 31 December. It's a lottery that they might make an amazing recovery, or not obit.

Folks who use their illness to fundraise or blog do gain an element of celebrity, that's an inevitability.

I guess really what the competition boils down to is - how do you feel about winning? If it's gained on the back of the sick and dying, that might say a lot about the society we live in, the winners win on the backs of the least able (I don't subscribe to that). I agree with what was said in another thread, most of us don't want our picks to die. I know it's only a game, like life I know, but I'm intrigued by the motivation (on which I make no judgement call myself) by those who pick on the weakest to gain an (albeit virtual) victory.

I know I'm newish here and this may have been rehearsed before. Just my tuppence. Points are points after all.

In the light of Lauren Hill I have been reassessing these types of deaths. Does Lauren Hill and Steven Sutton provide the counter point to Misao Okawa and Gertrude Weaving. If we plotted the ages of all the picks we would come up with a skewed bell curve with a long leading tail. I imagine the peak of the bell would be somewhere in the 85-90 range. But the deaths of the youngest are as notable as the deaths of the oldest. It is also the changing nature of celebrity and the way social media and the internet have changed our lives.

However because of this I think it is important to keep stringent rules for the DDP on the qualifying nature of obituaries.

I have just calculated the average age of the people on my 1000 list. The mean age is 73 (based on age as at 31.12.2014). There are 32 people who are that age on my list. I have not calucated the mode or the median.

TMIB - you've got Ronnie Carroll down as Roy Carroll on the front page; as far as I know Roy Carroll (former NI goalkeeper) is very much still alive (and also not a Ron). :huh:

TMIB - you've got Ronnie Carroll down as Roy Carroll on the front page; as far as I know Roy Carroll (former NI goalkeeper) is very much still alive (and also not a Ron). :huh:

Carroll, indeed alive and well, though whether playing for Notts County makes him feel better about either is questionable.

The dreaded away trip to Carlisle looms unless the magpies can extricate themselves from the League One drop zone in the next fortnight.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=8921

That's what happens when you write up a DDP update with football going on in the background...

Guest WEP

You wrote "Hans" Dietl instead of "Helmut" Dietl as well.

But the link works and the points were correct. And Mr. Dietl will not protest, neither Hans not Helmut.

So - no panic. ..