Sign in to follow this  
themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2015

There is no formal rule on picks that have died in the previous year and when they are replaced. If for instance as we have had this week a number of deaths pre-NYE and they are discovered around now, then subs are used if there are any. However, if it's discovered say in July that such and such carked it back in 2013 or something, then I Don't bother trawling past emails for subs and it's tough titty basically. Of course there are other cases such as that bloke from the Flintstones who may or may not have carked it (I have reactivated him in the database for this year under the thinking that IF he officially dies then we know for sure he's dead) and now Gerald Sim. If Sim is dead, then surely an obit will come and them maybe the subs will be activated if it is in the immediate future. But I'm not waiting too long...

Possibly from the Liverpool Echo and then picked up by the nationals. I've said too much. :)

So what's going to break the ice here .. who will rise to the occassion now that all has been unveiled?

Erm... I like the DDP unveiling but I'm not quite sure it's erection material...

840 odd newbies...

Is that more or less than last year?

Less. There was about 1100 last year...

If you picked Gerald Sim I would say tough shit...

He's been dead for a month with no obit. Thats what you get for going obscure.

Its not like he is the widow of a well known Attenborough...

As always, an amazing undertaking and a service to humanity. I salute the DDP management.

Incidentally, one of the unique picks on my team, Rob O' Neill, is this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_O%27Neill_%28Navy_SEAL%29

You should be able to source the basic info and picture from his Wiki page.

Just found the theme team No I Don't Want To Build A Fucking Smowman.

I am sensing some deep trauma here but someone who has had to sit through the credits of Frozen to research all the people to put on the team.

The OST has been on repeat play in our house since Christmas

The Saudi King gets me hit number 2 and I've already equaled last years disaster in terms of hit numbers. 2014 was that bad I have even lost my little DDP team bio this year.

Feeling confident about a good number of my other picks this year though and confident of a good finish again a la 2013.

Blip in my research though with my only unique pick Jamie Dimon. Didn't realize he had overcome the big C and announced the good (bad) news well before i even submitted my team.

Shall just sit back now and wait for WCIA-TV to make an announcement.

Nicely done on the speedy work BTW TMIB. Superb stuff..

Edit: Things just got better for my DDP tally at least, Just found out that Phil Taylor's mum Liz died a few weeks back and the Mirror have done the honors with the mention :)

The Saudi King gets me hit number 2 and I've already equaled last years disaster in terms of hit numbers. 2014 was that bad I have even lost my little DDP team bio this year.

Feeling confident about a good number of my other picks this year though and confident of a good finish again a la 2013.

Blip in my research though with my only unique pick Jamie Dimon. Didn't realize he had overcome the big C and announced the good (bad) news well before i even submitted my team.

Shall just sit back now and wait for WCIA-TV to make an announcement.

Nicely done on the speedy work BTW TMIB. Superb stuff..

Did anyone else find it funny that there's a CEO of a major Wall Street firm named Jamie? I remember when I first saw that a few years ago I thought "wow, that shows time's moving on/I'm getting older. Aren't all those guys supposed to be called Charles and Dick, etc?"

Of course events like LFN using the world's lamest picture of a "tumbleweed" to try and make fun of someone for simply attempting to restart a thread that was "cleaned up" (i.e. deleted) when no-one asked for it to be cleaned up........ and erm, every single instance in which I speak to my unbelievably daffy old ma who almost relies on me as a de-facto carer while giving me absolutely zero per cent of the standard support that kids get from their families in this country and then wonders why I'm not CEO of GoogAppleSoft yet (silly bint) remind me I'm not really old at all....

Also, veterans like you making fun of me for picking a reckless fag-smoking, pot-bellied supercar-skidding 50-something-year-old as my joker but then ending the year with 2 fucking hits, that's another one.

• Like 1

Just found the theme team No I Don't Want To Build A Fucking Smowman.

I am sensing some deep trauma here but someone who has had to sit through the credits of Frozen to research all the people to put on the team.

The OST has been on repeat play in our house since Christmas

It's much more likely they imdbed the credits and saved themselves the unbearable pain.

... attempting to restart a thread that was "cleaned up" (i.e. deleted)...

I just checked; it got merged with the Political Frailty topic. So the tread is gone, but the posts live.

regards,

Hein

... attempting to restart a thread that was "cleaned up" (i.e. deleted)...

I just checked; it got merged with the Political Frailty topic. So the tread is gone, but the posts live.

regards,

Hein

Which incompetent muppet merged the threads?

I accidently picked Pauline Yates for my DDP theme team. Now she is a unique pick for me:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/st-helens-actress-pauline-yates-8499650

An accidental pick? Who did you really mean?

I was wondering that. If they meant Paula Yates then that boat's already sailed.

I accidently picked Pauline Yates for my DDP theme team. Now she is a unique pick for me: http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/st-helens-actress-pauline-yates-8499650

An accidental pick? Who did you really mean?

Hehe! :D

I don't know her, never heard of her, but I was searching for people who were born on a 16th. On Wikipedia I found her "accidently". :)

As a new DDPXX pooler, I wanted to ask what is a usual and reasonable expectation for how often to expect website updates? I ask with no intent to complain or suggest any dissatisfaction but I do admit to some "newby" anxiety and excitement to see how the scores add up as the days and weeks pass. If I know to expect some regular schedule, I can stop checking several times a day to see what is the the latest and greatest DDP news! Thanks!

DDP updates happen as manegement sees fit. During the year, it's something like every few weeks.

Since the initial release no updates have happened yet, I presume because TMiB is busy getting the write-ups done.

regards,

Hein

DDP updates happen as manegement sees fit. During the year, it's something like every few weeks.

Since the initial release no updates have happened yet, I presume because TMiB is busy getting the write-ups done.

regards,

Hein

Appreciate the response and information! I'll practice patience and restrict my check-ins accordingly and be both surprised and pleased to see the refreshed updates when they do appear - unless, that is, one of my picks is announced as dead and then I'll run like a screaming schoolgirl to the nearest screen to login and sit and wait impatiently for the update! One's first blood should be especially exciting after all!

regards,

Hein

Appreciate the response and information! I'll practice patience and restrict my check-ins accordingly and be both surprised and pleased to see the refreshed updates when they do appear - unless, that is, one of my picks is announced as dead and then I'll run like a screaming schoolgirl to the nearest screen to login and sit and wait impatiently for the update! One's first blood should be especially exciting after all!

Okay no need to rag on about it. Although for some reason it feels oddly ironic that you have a period photo as your avatar. Can't think why.

And yes there is a big sense of tension preceding an update, whenever it happens in the month.

Just been running through the listings to see if there are any that I can compile for TMIB and I notice that the wrong Rosemary Harris has been assigned to my team.

Mine should be the Carnegie award winning children’s author in 1968 for The Moon in the Clouds born in 1923 and not Elizabeth Bennett's mum.

Just saying this now so I can't be accused of waiting to see which one dies first and claim the points accordingly.

As a new DDPXX pooler, I wanted to ask what is a usual and reasonable expectation for how often to expect website updates? I ask with no intent to complain or suggest any dissatisfaction but I do admit to some "newby" anxiety and excitement to see how the scores add up as the days and weeks pass. If I know to expect some regular schedule, I can stop checking several times a day to see what is the the latest and greatest DDP news! Thanks!

I can assure you it is usually a lot more regular than at the moment! The reason for the delay is because my wi-fi keeps dropping (and BT have subsequently got the sack!) and my tablet can only do so much (and certainly not the picks and rapid info gathering when you cut 'n paste names into google - pressing your finger down for a few seconds and waiting in vain for something to pop up doesn't quite cut it I'm afraid..). It's all very inconvenient and complicated. However, I have a new source of the internet and things should get back on track fairly soon. A big update in the next couple of days and then a sort out with the info on the new celebs. I have gathered a team to do some work for me but owing to the aforementioned problems I've not been able to assign them to their tasks. So we're a bit behind at the moment...