Sign in to follow this  
themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2015

Much as I deplore the fate of my theme team picks this season, I rather like the current DDP obit approval rule. It's part of the challange.

Now that I think of it, I wonder how many Low Countries dead get a DDP approved obit each year. I'd be surprised if the number would pass 20.

I'm amazed as you are MH, sadly in the UK unless you are a footballer or darts player, I think it less rather than more likely for a qualifying obit. (Ooh, darts players for next year...*makes note*).

There are a few more categories: royalty, very old former prime ministers, Nobel Prize winners, ESC winners, Rutger Hauer.

The problem with darts players is that the oldest and unhealthiest of the Dutch crop is RVB. Obit assured, but nowhere near death.

Dunno, his PL performances this year suggest otherwise.

Lee Kuan Yew, founding Premier of Singapore, dead at 91.

http://m.bbc.com/news/world-asia-32012346

Jørgen Ingmann, Danish winner of the ESC, dies aged 89. http://www.eurovision.tv/page/news?id=eurovision_winner_jrgen_ingmann_died

Singapore 12 points, Denmark zero points.

I have a feeling that Jorgen Ingmann's death will be covered in the live Eurovision show on the BBC. Given there is no written obit as yet, I assume this will count if covered? Just a thought.

Much as I deplore the fate of my theme team picks this season, I rather like the current DDP obit approval rule. It's part of the challange.

Now that I think of it, I wonder how many Low Countries dead get a DDP approved obit each year. I'd be surprised if the number would pass 20.

I'm amazed as you are MH, sadly in the UK unless you are a footballer or darts player, I think it less rather than more likely for a qualifying obit. (Ooh, darts players for next year...*makes note*).

There are a few more categories: royalty, very old former prime ministers, Nobel Prize winners, ESC winners, Rutger Hauer.

The problem with darts players is that the oldest and unhealthiest of the Dutch crop is RVB. Obit assured, but nowhere near death. I don't expect RVB to live well past retirement age; I tried him on my theme team a few times, with disappointing results.

Co Stompe is older, though probably healthier, and would surely obit. Outside chance with Roland Scholten, though again, not for a while.

Co Stompe is older, though probably healthier, and would surely obit. Outside chance with Roland Scholten, though again, not for a while.

Oh, forgot about Stompe. He does looks like heart attack material to me, but not soon.

Well, I guess it's not that bad.

Sure, if I were to make some DDP teams out of My Personal Deathlist 2015, about 10 people wouldn't get obits (e.g. George Ryan, the former Governor of Illinois). But that's not bad.

If a former Gov of Illinois died I am almost certain they would get a Reuters UK Obit. For the most part Governors of large and medium sized states and former Senators no matter how long ago they served end up getting the required mentions for DDP obits.Same thing with former mayors of Philly,LA,NYC or any of the biggest cities in North America. Looking at your personal list I only see 1 or 2 people who might miss out on UK obit.

I'm afraid not. That's "bbc.news.uk.com", not "bbc.co.uk/news". Only the latter is the real thing written by Auntie.

Ah sorry...

Although, when I google "Wim Ruska daily mail", not in the news but in a web search, I have an obituary from the daily mail as the second hit. But when I click on the link, there is no article there...

Sure, if I were to make some DDP teams out of My Personal Deathlist 2015, about 10 people wouldn't get obits (e.g. George Ryan, the former Governor of Illinois). But that's not bad.

Looking at the list in your signature there are about 5 names that I do not recognise. Some US politicians do get UK obits but it wouldn't be guaranteed. But your personal list is just that and we would respect your right to post about anyone on it.

I'm just asking out of curiosity - who didn't you recognize?

George Ryan, Marla Gibbs, Gov Pat Quinn, Richard Daley & Carol Burnett

Pick 10: Robert L. Hite, American Air Force pilot, member of the Doolittle Tokyo Raiders

Sgt. Robert Hite was the only surviving member of Easy Company too ill to attend a 70th reunion this year.

He died yesterday, and already at the very least got a Yahoo UK shout.

Looking at the list in your signature there are about 5 names that I do not recognise. Some US politicians do get UK obits but it wouldn't be guaranteed. But your personal list is just that and we would respect your right to post about anyone on it.

If any of those 5 died tomorrow they would easily get a qualifying obit

You still have not recorded the death of Jeffrey Segal.

Is he considered Lost?

He is considered lost, but he's a bit further down that list as the LofL and LotM are now running the other way round than previous years, with the latest stiff first, just as with the normal hits.

Talking of which the scoring pages have now been updated. I forgot to upload those pages last night...

Ah, should've gone to Deathrace, then, where his obituary - since deleted online - in The Stage would have counted for points.

Re Segal, reality check here given all the debate a couple of pages back.

1 - Wikipedia is fairly clear he's dead.

2 - There isn't anything sinister in the vanishing of his obit from The Stage (more likely to do with them limiting what they store long term and ripping down minor current items.

3 - Had The Stage made a genuine mistake in reporting him dead their retraction would likely have been more newsworthy than the original obit.

George Ryan - Former Governor of Illinois, he was very corrupt and went to prison for a few years. He's 81 this year.

Marla Gibbs - Actress, starred as sassy maid Florence in "The Jeffersons". She's 84 this year.

Pat Quinn - Another Former Governor of Illinois. This guy was slightly less corrupt, but what can you expect in Illinois. I don't remember his age, but he is in his 60s.

Richard Daley - Wow, I included too many Illinois politicians on my list. This guy is the Former Mayor of Chicago. Also in his 60s.

Carol Burnett - I'm surprised you don't know her. She is a famous American comedienne. She's 82 this year.

Robert L Hite died on Sunday. He was an American airman who was captured by the Japanese during the Doolittle raids.

Here is a NY Times article but not sure whether you will get a UK one.

I only noticed this because I ended up doing the H biogs.

Pick 10: Robert L. Hite, American Air Force pilot, member of the Doolittle Tokyo Raiders

Sgt. Robert Hite was the only surviving member of Easy Company too ill to attend a 70th reunion this year.

He died yesterday, and already at the very least got a Yahoo UK shout.

Robert L Hite died on Sunday. He was an American airman who was captured by the Japanese during the Doolittle raids.

Here is a NY Times article but not sure whether you will get a UK one.

I only noticed this because I ended up doing the H biogs.

He is mentioned in Death Impends article?

Meantime for completeness:

Ron Suart: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32063681

Misao Okawa: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-32142212

Edit: Still searching for Helmut Dietl and Mar Dinkha IV.

I think it's fair as it stands (although to some extent I don't understand why the Belfast Telegraph isn't included, British rather than UK, I guess?). There is an element of skill in picking obituary worthy nationally in "Britain", I wouldn't want to see it opened up to first ladies of US governors and the like, or even this story about Gary Dahl, inventor of the Pet Rock, unless he was obit worthy in the UK. http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2015/03/27/gary-dahl-bay-area-inventor-pet-rock-dies/

Guess there's no telling who gets an obit in this country *sigh* Gary Dahl made the BBC. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/32150059

Congrats (if that is the right word) Book!! ^^

Right! :D

But I picked him as my joker last year... :angry2: Grrrrr...

• Like 1

I think it's fair as it stands (although to some extent I don't understand why the Belfast Telegraph isn't included, British rather than UK, I guess?). There is an element of skill in picking obituary worthy nationally in "Britain", I wouldn't want to see it opened up to first ladies of US governors and the like, or even this story about Gary Dahl, inventor of the Pet Rock, unless he was obit worthy in the UK. http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2015/03/27/gary-dahl-bay-area-inventor-pet-rock-dies/

Guess there's no telling who gets an obit in this country *sigh* Gary Dahl made the BBC. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/32150059

There's a bit of a grey area here, though I think DDP rules make clear where the points currently lie. But, you could argue that some "local" papers produced in cities around the UK - notably Belfast and Edinburgh - are written full in the knowledge they are sold over the counter in London and, consequently, some of the news is collected and tweaked on that understanding. Bit dubious how "national" such papers are, but I thought I'd throw the curve ball into the debate just in case.

• Like 1

I guess it also depends on the amount of real news on that day. On a slow news day, Little Jimmy Dickens gets his obit. Gary Dahl sounds like an "April's Fool Day" kind of obit.