Sign in to follow this  
themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2015

Anyone else think it would be a good idea to increase the teams per person limit to 5 for next year? You'd still have a bit of a buffer on the same guy entering 2000 teams and making the game unsustainable but it'd give players a chance to enter a wider range of theme teams?

Anyone else think it would be a good idea to increase the teams per person limit to 5 for next year? You'd still have a bit of a buffer on the same guy entering 2000 teams and making the game unsustainable but it'd give players a chance to enter a wider range of theme teams?

The Man in Black is run ragged, year in year out, having to sort out the current three teams per entrant at the moment. I'm more of a mindset that if people want to submit even more diverse teams they should set up their own web site or start and manage a thread based pool like the HPDP. I'll tell you, it's quite a task to follow even 22 players each with a single ten name list.

If you have a great idea, let's hear it tested out for a year within the DeathList forum to see if it has legs.

• Like 2

The Man in Black is run ragged, year in year out, having to sort out the current three teams per entrant at the moment. I'm more of a mindset that if people want to submit even more diverse teams they should set up their own web site or start and manage a thread based pool like the HPDP. I'll tell you, it's quite a task to follow even 22 players each with a single ten name list.

If you have a great idea, let's hear it tested out for a year within the DeathList forum to see if it has legs.

I can fully appreciate this (as another person who struggles to keep on top of their own deadpool - how are you, mpfc and tmib that efficient? - which is a tiny fraction of the size of the DDP - which reminds me I'm due and update :flame2: ) and I'm certainly not suggesting that tmib be forced to deal with the extra workload caused by this one his own. Personally I'd suggest restristicting the Derby Dead Pool to the up to 2 normal teams and then setting up a separate competition - run and managed by another person with pedigree for managing competitions of this sort efficiently - for theme teams with the rules that person suggest. It's seems to me this could be a way of removing some of the strain from the main competition and provided the theme team crew with the ability to carry on not impeding the original ddp. If scoring was kept the same for both it could be directly compared. Obviously this is pure fantasy as it requires a proverbial mother theresa/jesus to come up and run the second theme team.

I only suggested the increase because it pissed me off that I might have to drop my centenarians team to make way for my new theme team next year but at the end of the day, the fact this competition exists is something we should be grateful for in the first place.

In terms of TMIB being run ragged year in out, would a good idea not be to create a more collaborative approach to processing the teams - sites like wordpress allow you to have more than one contributor - on the provision that we enter our own teams before assisting - could a few more of us forumers not bandy together to help in adding them in to the site if it was hosted on one of these platforms - the same could be done for bios. I'm not currently involved in the administrative side of the DDP (although I'm happy to be in the future years if manpower is the issue - I'd hate to see this great game go for a burton.)

I also think the DDP should seriously look at the option of optional donations for the cost of running the site - whilst you can't legally and ethically (imo) charge an entry fee for the competition or set up as a for-profit system and I get the feeling there is no inclination to do so at the top anyway - I find the fact that tmib is forced to shoulder the burden of the running costs unfair given everyone involved benefits from it - all you'd need is a donation button on the site linked to a paypal account which you could pay the site fees out. As long as the money goes into the site I don't see any moral issues that could be raised, it also means that should tmib become unable to keep the game in funds (for whatever reason - it's hapenned to everyone at some point in there life) it's safe for beyond that and if it never comes to that he's got a bit of additional beer money.

I think the DDP is more likely to increase the number of celebrities in a team than change the limit on number of teams ie, not at all.

EDIT - Replied before your bigger reply above showed up.

5 is way too many.I think TMIB has enough to do as it is.Besides I can just about follow 3 teams .I would have no chance with 5.

5 is way too many.I think TMIB has enough to do as it is.Besides I can just about follow 3 teams .I would have no chance with 5.

Agreed, the more the muddier.

Cilla's death through accidental head injury activates the unnatural points bonus, so well done to those who picked her...

Latest pages are up...

Is there an issue with Ivan Moravec for Dead and Dusted 3? Not that I'm championing the adversaries lol, but he's not been put in again? I'll take him off the round up if there's some problem.

Is there an issue with Ivan Moravec for Dead and Dusted 3? Not that I'm championing the adversaries lol, but he's not been put in again? I'll take him off the round up if there's some problem.

That's strange, I thought I did put him in for some reason. Or maybe I thought I did, got distracted or something and then forgot!

I'll append today's update tomorrow...

• Like 1

If you're already updating... George Cole gives 5 pts not 7, as on the front page. But it's correct in the scoreboard!

If you're already updating... George Cole gives 5 pts not 7, as on the front page. But it's correct in the scoreboard!

Good spot. Because I cut and paste entries and overwrite them (you don't expect to write all of them individually do you?) I can often miss them. Theme Team has been tweaked as well because some of the descriptions of teams were jumbled up (v-lookup issues, Excel nerds!).

Keep up the good spotting peeps!

Whilst just checking up on Cilla Black on the main DDP page I notice that Spongebob Old Stars has had the audacity to select The Man In Black as their joker.

I am shocked at this.

I'm sure he won't qualify for the required obituary.

Always thought that someone picking themselves as a joker if they were diagnosed with terminal cancer might be a story fucked up enough to make some national press. Plus you'd probably get unique pick bonuses as well...

Always thought that someone picking themselves as a joker if they were diagnosed with terminal cancer might be a story fucked up enough to make some national press. Plus you'd probably get unique pick bonuses as well...

I do not think this is a self pick as TMIB would not be so unprofessional to leave himself a team with only 18 selections

Perhaps that's the ultimate reason we have to get rid of famous for being ills.

If that isnt the biggest potential case of wankery going. The next stage after that maybe will be terminally ill people signing up en masse just to pick themselves. See, eventually the bad thing you profit from Spade (in this case, mawkishness) will overwhelm/become you (or, it will become the contest).

If only lefties had thought about that before they handcuffed themselves to radical Islam..... (quick someone say "oh you're not going on about that again!" so you can pretend that's the real tedious thing, rather than the didgeridoo-to-prayer and the 50 minutes of security check-ups we have to go through just to feed the ducks these days cos of Mohammed Atta and pals......)

Also I noticed the TMIB thing at the beginning of the year but couldn't be arsed to point it out. ;)

Though I wonder how the press would pick it up. I mean, death of cancer isn't suspicious enough to warrant searching one's hard drive. So the deathpooler would have to write a good-bye letter instead. Someone else must read it then, and then report it to the press. Presumably, this good-bye letter needs to be very detailed so that this person realizes the potential. An easier way would be to announce the cancer diagnosis on this forum, but of course, that might cost unique pick points.

All you need to do is know you're going to die in the next calendar year, pick yourself, enter your team, wait until January 1st, make a post on this forum letting everyone know the craic, then email a journalist telling them exactly what's going on and letting them know they can prep a story now in anticipation of your imminent mortality. "WEB SICKO GAMBLES ON OWN CANCER DEATH" or whatever.

• Like 2

Though I wonder how the press would pick it up. I mean, death of cancer isn't suspicious enough to warrant searching one's hard drive. So the deathpooler would have to write a good-bye letter instead. Someone else must read it then, and then report it to the press. Presumably, this good-bye letter needs to be very detailed so that this person realizes the potential. An easier way would be to announce the cancer diagnosis on this forum, but of course, that might cost unique pick points.

All you need to do is know you're going to die in the next calendar year, pick yourself, enter your team, wait until January 1st, make a post on this forum letting everyone know the craic, then email a journalist telling them exactly what's going on and letting them know they can prep a story now in anticipation of your imminent mortality. "WEB SICKO GAMBLES ON OWN CANCER DEATH" or whatever.

I promise if I'm ever diagnosed with terminal cancer I'll do this and let the daily mail and express know.

So, its January the something, some year, and a obit worthy soul is reading his emails. "Oh, I'll go check the Derby Dead Pool". So he does, and finds himself as someone's unique pick. The shock of seeing this is too much for the old dear, who has a heart attack and expires. The headlines all focus on heart attack as result of seeing own name on DDP.

Unnatural death bonus? :lol:

Assuming Denise Marshall gets her Guardian society section obit, this would put The Living End back on top of the DDP for the first time since....?

..since he last won it I would have thought. 2012...

EDIT: Looking through the blog postings, TLE did have the lead in March/April 2013.