Sign in to follow this  
themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2015

The US median average hospice stay is 36 days. Which would mean him dying on December 30th. lol?

• Like 1

That death didn't really change anything. Crowe is still the most crucial case this year. The tiny, tiny chance of DQSP with Kris Travis still remains (though for me, he's out, as I said before).

Kris Travis enters hospice care.

He might just make 2016 now.

*Diana Rots like this*

• Like 2

That death didn't really change anything. Crowe is still the most crucial case this year. The tiny, tiny chance of DQSP with Kris Travis still remains (though for me, he's out, as I said before).

The US median average hospice stay is 36 days. Which would mean him dying on December 30th. lol?

Uh, a race against time for you... So I guess the chemo stopped working?

But do US hospice standards apply there? Martin Crowe also entered hospice at one point and has lived on for longer than the year has left.

Still, I guess your chances to win have increased from about 5% to ... hmm, 20% (50% chance of Travis dying this year, 50% of Crowe not dying this year. Plus some chance that Ed Drummond, or Harry Beitzel die (and have an obit)). Such a change this late in the year is still remarkable, I would say. Who would have thought in May that there would be such a close contest until the end of the year?

Light the blue touchpaper and stand back. Countdown 37 days...

From what I can ascertain from various British wrestling types on Twitter, plus Kris's own feed, it's something to do with him being unable to keep down any food or liquids at the moment. Being as he has stage IV stomach cancer I'd assume this is due to a fluid build-up in his stomach? He's too weak for additional chemo, but maybe this is solvable with a stent idk. Any backseat doctors wanna offer their guesses?

Could be a blockage due to very advanced stomach cancer? If so,can be treated with stents, iirc, but depends on the patient.

Though that would need drips and hospital, and going by his own twitter feed, he's gone home because he can't face the hospice. So with both of those combined, I don't think he'll see Christmas.

Uh, a race against time for you... So I guess the chemo stopped working?

But do US hospice standards apply there? Martin Crowe also entered hospice at one point and has lived on for longer than the year has left.

Still, I guess your chances to win have increased from about 5% to ... hmm, 20% (50% chance of Travis dying this year, 50% of Crowe not dying this year. Plus some chance that Ed Drummond, or Harry Beitzel die (and have an obit)). Such a change this late in the year is still remarkable, I would say. Who would have thought in May that there would be such a close contest until the end of the year?

This will all be moot if I can email to Isis the addresses of everyone left on my team.

From what I can ascertain from various British wrestling types on Twitter, plus Kris's own feed, it's something to do with him being unable to keep down any food or liquids at the moment. Being as he has stage IV stomach cancer I'd assume this is due to a fluid build-up in his stomach? He's too weak for additional chemo, but maybe this is solvable with a stent idk. Any backseat doctors wanna offer their guesses?

If he went to a hospice instead of hospital, that it suggests there is not much that can be done to help him. If his cancer is stage IV, new tumours could have popped up at will and if they have created an obstruction anywhere along his food canal, he might well have difficulties in keeping down his lunch, so Christmas dinner may be just too much for him to contemplate.

Here's what I intend to include in the Rules & Scoring for DDP 2016:

OBITUARY QUALIFICATION

There has been a refining of the rules as to what qualifies as a legitimate obit:

To win points, there must be the mention of a celebrity's death on a national online news source

:

BBC*:

bbc.co.uk/news
bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts
bbc.co.uk/news/business
bbc.co.uk/news/education
bbc.co.uk/news/uk
bbc.co.uk/news/world
bbc.co.uk/sport
bbc.co.uk/newsbeat
bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics
bbc.co.uk/news/magazine

*This excludes local news pages on the website

And from the UK versions of the follwing:

telegraph.co.uk
thetimes.co.uk
ft.com
theguardian.com
independent.co.uk
dailymail.co.uk
express.co.uk
dailystar.co.uk
thesun.co.uk
mirror.co.uk
morningstaronline.co.uk

(this includes those on the news announcements section of broadsheet websites)

and from these newsites:

uk.reuters.com
news.sky.com/uk
skysports.com
itv.com/news (this also exlcudes local news pages)
channel4.com/news

The notice of death must be in written English. Video links are only accepted if the strap-line mentions the celebs passing.

The following news sources are excluded as from 1st January 2016: Huffington Post UK, MSN UK, Yahoo UK, Scotsman, Herald Scotland, Daily Record STV and UTV.

Other titibits:

Exclusions: Hostages of terrorist organisations. We have no absolute knowledge of whether they are alive, dead or when they supposedly died. Terrorist organisation members are included but there has to be official verification of when they died from both sides of the conflict (i.e "The West" and the terrorists themselves).

"Sensitive" picks (normally terminally-ill people who "inspire" significant coverage in the news are included in the competition but their identities will be masked to avoid possible backlash.

Commend you for getting rid of BBC local news pages as a valid source but please reinstate Yahoo UK and HuffPost.

"Sensitive" picks (normally terminally-ill people who "inspire" significant coverage in the news are included in the competition but their identities will be masked to avoid possible backlash.

Never been a backlash in the past so why start now also what the hell happens when they actually die to we get obits for "Person x" that seems a bit cloak and dagger fifa stuff potential.

Never been a backlash in the past so why start now also what the hell happens when they actually die to we get obits for "Person x" that seems a bit cloak and dagger fifa stuff potential.

You aint seen my email inbox this year then...

You aint seen my email inbox this year then...

Unless you've had a direct complaint of the legally enforceable variety from the "celeb" themselves it shouldn't matter. Would be interested to know who the emails from "angry from tumbridge wells" types were about though

Thoughts

1. Would any of the hits who got BBC qualifying hits this year have not qualified with this rule change?

2. Poor The Herald.

I think the obit tightening seems reasonable, still seems pretty lax in the long run. Ditto the approach to famous for being ills, I think masking the sensitive picks is the right decision - there's no absolute rigid standard towards what's an iffy pick and what's not, but it's not like they'll be excluded entirely which would be considerably more headache inducing to implement, and I'm sure it'd cut down on angry emails.

I think the obit tightening seems reasonable, still seems pretty lax in the long run. Ditto the approach to famous for being ills, I think masking the sensitive picks is the right decision - there's no absolute rigid standard towards what's an iffy pick and what's not, but it's not like they'll be excluded entirely which would be considerably more headache inducing to implement, and I'm sure it'd cut down on angry emails.

I really think basing DDP rules on a few emails is insane. The game is inherently offensive, let the people be offended. If there issue is the fact we're gambling on people's deaths, they're probably going to be even more pissed off we're gambling on people's deaths behind their backs. It also makes it a lot harder for players to determine who else scores off their hits.

• Like 1

Thoughts

1. Would any of the hits who got BBC qualifying hits this year have not qualified with this rule change?

2. Poor The Herald.

Daily Record getting the bumrush as well.

I think I would have kept a scottish paper and excluded the sun, the star and the express. Do they cover anything the others don't? But I see the desire to exclude only locally famous people, though I think it won't quite work (see: Wil Handford). However, I admit I regularly checked the local BBC pages in the past weeks for every couple of days and there wasn't that much to find. One of the candidates I got out of it was Mary Burrows, who however also got a daily mail obit. I liked Yahoo UK.

Interesting rule about the terrorists. Confirmation from both sides...

The "sensitive picks" rule will be very interesting...

How about having a no more than one limit, of such "famous for being ill" candidates in any team entry?

• Like 1

Guest Clytemnestra

Thoughts

2. Poor The Herald.

Daily Record getting the bumrush as well.

And the Sunday Sport :(

I think I would have kept a scottish paper and excluded the sun, the star and the express. Do they cover anything the others don't? But I see the desire to exclude only locally famous people, though I think it won't quite work (see: Wil Handford). However, I admit I regularly checked the local BBC pages in the past weeks for every couple of days and there wasn't that much to find. One of the candidates I got out of it was Mary Burrows, who however also got a daily mail obit. I liked Yahoo UK.

I can see the need to exclude it though cause with BBC local obits being excludedif the former Mayor of Ipswich,Blackpool etc is excluded it would make sense to exclude Mayor of Aberdeen,Dunblane etc. Outside of ex Mayors,local politicians or maybe some Highland athletes I can't think of anyone who would get an Obit with one of those 2 Scottish papers but not BBC,Guardian,Independent,Sky etc.

I can see the need to exclude it though cause with BBC local obits being excludedif the former Mayor of Ipswich,Blackpool etc is excluded it would make sense to exclude Mayor of Aberdeen,Dunblane etc. Outside of ex Mayors,local politicians or maybe some Highland athletes I can't think of anyone who would get an Obit with one of those 2 Scottish papers but not BBC,Guardian,Independent,Sky etc.

Gene Fullmer, US Boxer, did this year.

I've already ditched my theme team cobbled together from the Paris telephone directory as a result of the rule changes. I don't mind either way, though it will be strange seeing teams leap up the scoreboard with 4 Anonymous picks! Good luck TMIB, bit of streamlining there.

I had a Famous For Being Ill (FFBI?) type on my long list for 2016 whose condition was only covered by one of the Scottish nationals, he'll get scrubbed now...