Sign in to follow this  
themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2015

I haven't rolled out what they are yet...

[RE The death of Michael C Gross]

That'd put The Living End around 10 points clear of Spade if my maths is correct. Looks like Team Quantick need Kris Travis to go downhill very quickly now to make that up.

Death Impends is just two behind the leader though, and even though they had little faith in the teetering ability of the picks remaining a few months ago, anything can happen in December with a sudden health setback. Even if so, it's still be a frankly brilliant year for you.

Edited by DevonDeathTrip
This and the seven posts below moved from Cartoonists to DDP thread.

That death didn't really change anything. Crowe is still the most crucial case this year. The tiny, tiny chance of DQSP with Kris Travis still remains (though for me, he's out, as I said before). Golden Slumbers still has an outside chance to win with Hadzic and Brinson - which are worth 21 pts, one more than DDT is now ahead of him.

Crowe wouldn't be that crucial as all of the top three have him, so they wouldn't change positions or distance from each other.

I was forgetting he's TJS's joker. As you were...

Travis will see 2016 and I'm about 80% sure he'll see 2017 as well (although he won't see his 40th birthday). DDP is blocked on my work connection so I can't double-check stats, but my tiny tiny chances, being as Granger, Dignam and VDB are rendered useless by teams above me having them and Wybourne, Kara and Zorreguieta being healthy enough to go and do stuff would require two of Sadhana, Burt Kwouk and Jock Scot dying. Unlikely.

Edit: Just saw Jock Scot is playing a gig on December 12th as well. Yeah, I will have to take this crown and sash back to the cleaners before I hand it over.

Crowe is pretty much my victory route at this point, though I have no clue whether he'll even go this year given how far he's already gotten. Quite possible he'll be the only one I'll carry over to 2016 at the moment. (Gross would've stayed on as well, had he lived, and I'm humming and hawing over a couple others) So at this point I'm expecting this to be DDT's win.

It is interesting to think that I'd be in a one-point lead were it not for a certain "too lazy to research, let's regurgitate survivors from last year's top 20 instead" team. Had they not participated, John McCabe would've stayed a unique for me. He died on the 13th though, so I'm not going to be too greedy. :unsure:

Crowe is pretty much my victory route at this point, though I have no clue whether he'll even go this year given how far he's already gotten. Quite possible he'll be the only one I'll carry over to 2016 at the moment. (Gross would've stayed on as well, had he lived, and I'm humming and hawing over a couple others) So at this point I'm expecting this to be DDT's win.

It is interesting to think that I'd be in a one-point lead were it not for a certain "too lazy to research, let's regurgitate survivors from last year's top 20 instead" team. Had they not participated, John McCabe would've stayed a unique for me. He died on the 13th though, so I'm not going to be too greedy. :unsure:

Do you know whats worse? Having one of those uniques, deciding to hold off on them the next year as they are clearly doing better than expected, only for one of those teams to sweep in and nab him... and get unique bonus points when he died!

Do you know whats worse? Having one of those uniques, deciding to hold off on them the next year as they are clearly doing better than expected, only for one of those teams to sweep in and nab him... and get unique bonus points when he died!

Think this happened for me with James R Young iirc

I recall going through that with Werner Franz. Well, wasn't a unique the year he died but I didn't have him and he interestingly enough also nabbed a 13th bonus.

This isn't over. Anything could happen and the 2015 DDP winner could currently be sitting outside the top twenty for all we know. For some reason I'm insanely confident that I'm going to get at least one more hit before the end of the year, but not so confident I'm going to win again.

An

Personally, I've got to hope that Pauline Quirke dies, and they invite at least everyone else on my team to her funeral, to be held on the 13th of the month in Paris on the day Daesh come back.

• Like 4

"It ain't over till it's over..."

Whilst doing something completely unrelated, I came across this link http://ktla.com/2014/11/14/ktla-says-goodbye-to-john-eggers/ from November 2014 which indicates that John Eggers died at least prior to that date (the video shows the scattering of his ashes at sea). Think that rules him out of the running for the team that picked him.

Edit: here's his obituary: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/latimes/obituary.aspx?pid=172923239

I guess the Eggars picker can look at this sunny side up as it's better this revelation came out now instead of 2 months from now.

Guest I.D.I.O.T

In order to avoid accusations of post whoring I decided to post this here as this is an issue for the DDP other wise I would have started The Names the Same thread.

These are people who are on my radar who may be confused with each other.

• Frank Williams - Formula 1 team owner (b.1942) or Vicar from Dad's Army (b. 1931)
  • Kenneth Baker/Kenny Baker - Conservative Politician/ R2-D2 both born 1934
  • Rosemary Harris - Children's writer b.1923/ Actress who played Spiderman's Auntie b. 1927/ American mystery writer
  • Mary Wilson/Mari Wilson - Harold Wilson's widow b.1916/Former Supreme b.1944/British singer (Telephone Man) b.1954
  • Terrence Dicks/Terry Dicks - Former Doctor Who script editor and novelist (b.1935)/Former Conservative MP (b. 1937)
  • Bob Harris/Robert Harris - Whispering DJ (b.1946)/ Novelist - Fatherland (b.1957)
  • Michael Moore - Hectoring Canadian film maker (b.1954)/ LD politician (b.1965)
  • Angus Deayton/Angus Deaton - Cocaine taking, whoring television presenter (b.1956)/Nobel Prize winning economist (b.1945)

There are probably loads more but these are the ones on my radar.

Bill Graham/Billy Graham - Jazz musician/Evangelist both Born 1918

Yeah, in fairness, the last thing we need is a mass overhaul of obituary rules, the thing that needs work is the architecture of the site. There must be some nerdbird who understands databases enough on here to proffer suggestions?

What do you have in mind?

I ask this as I recognise that despite my efforts (I'm not a natural website builder I must admit), the site still looks like something from 2000!

This is the problem, my background is in web content not web design so I have no fucking idea.

As it stands, the site is completely manual, correct? So when Old Celebrity X dies you have to write the front page obit, work out the scoring, put their points and picks at the bottom of the front page, cross their name off on both the celeb picks and the teams page, add the date of death to picks page, then update the scores of all the teams that picked them, correct?

Surely the first thing would be some sort of method that turns those six separate actions into one. The problem is it's not as if we can use some existing software (like the ones that exist for sports leagues) and repurpose it....

Actually much of it is automatic. The "manual pages" are the front page (index), List of the Missed, List of the Lost, Drop 40, Records/Stats & Theme Team League. The TTL table is cobbled together using the main scoreboard via an Excel spreadsheet which excludes the other competitors. The Scoreboard, Teams and Celeb pages are generated using a combination of Access database and a HTA, which generate the HTML pages.

Now the aim in future is to have a website which includes the database within which would automatically configure the pages (scores, teams etc) via some web portal. I'm fairly sure that can be done (php+SQL). This would almost certainly mean me changing domain and abandoning the free website hosted by Madasafish/Plusnet (which has a maximum capacity of 100mb and allows no database within) in favour of a paid for, bells 'n whistles website. A complete overhaul, basically a new site altogether. That would take a little time to research the right kind of website and understanding what it takes to create the new site. But, it's about time...

Following the erstwhile Deathray's suggestion, I could separate the TTL from the main site (with the added bonus for players of both to potentially have the same pick scoring twice as uniques if they are used in both teams) by simply creating a second access database just for the TTL...

Ok.

So it seems the only folks with access to the DDP rosters for 2015 are those playing. That's all good.

However, I am putting a theme team or two together and bloody well don't want to spend time putting said team together if it's already been done. Why send a team of people named Aloysius if someone already has done so? It'll be 80+% the same names and very little amusement.

I could whine about everyone else being able to pilfer names from other lists while I'm left to do 100% my own research, but my primary complaint oddly enough is for my theme teams.

SirC

Guest U Cannotbeserious

Ok.

So it seems the only folks with access to the DDP rosters for 2015 are those playing. That's all good.

However, I am putting a theme team or two together and bloody well don't want to spend time putting said team together if it's already been done. Why send a team of people named Aloysius if someone already has done so? It'll be 80+% the same names and very little amusement.

I could whine about everyone else being able to pilfer names from other lists while I'm left to do 100% my own research, but my primary complaint oddly enough is for my theme teams.

SirC

Have you tried this link?

http://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2015/teams.html

Ok.

SirC

You mean our computers know whether we're in the DDP? That's scary.

That death didn't really change anything. Crowe is still the most crucial case this year. The tiny, tiny chance of DQSP with Kris Travis still remains (though for me, he's out, as I said before).

Kris Travis enters hospice care.