Dead Wait

Ideas And Possibilities For 2016

Greece's most prominent composer (also film composer for Zorba The Greek and Serpico) Mikis Theodorakis turns 90 today:

http://www.dw.com/en/greeces-musical-hero-mikis-theodorakis-turns-90/a-18610091

Apparently, he's "currently" suffering from the effects of a tear gas attack back in 2012, which sounds as if he's not going to recover in this life anymore.

Greece's most prominent composer (also film composer for Zorba The Greek and Serpico) Mikis Theodorakis turns 90 today:

http://www.dw.com/en/greeces-musical-hero-mikis-theodorakis-turns-90/a-18610091

Apparently, he's "currently" suffering from the effects of a tear gas attack back in 2012, which sounds as if he's not going to recover in this life anymore.

Fuck sake! He's about as rock 'n' roll as unrepentant activists like Neil Young. He was gassed, aged 87, in an anti-austerity demo. Didn't even know he was still alive. My mum loved his music.

I'm guessing I'm not the only one who saw the terminally ill documentary film maker Simon Clayton on the news tonight and wondered...is he obitable?

Not totally sure he is, and he only graduated in 2008, love his short doc about bingo, mind.

Link: http://www.cfv.mmu.ac.uk/olc/film/10048/

One name I think is a possibility no one talks about is Jenny McCarthy

Although she is a perfectly healthy and reasonably young person,she is the biggest face of the anti vaccine movement in the USA. I just have a hunch one of these days when some kid gets polio or some other disease because their mom was brainwashed by this antivaccine movement that a father or relative of the afflicted child will just go into a rage and attempt to kill/shoot Jenny McCarthy.

Is that not just wishful thinking?

Has anyone mentioned George Blake? There was a Storyville doc on about him recently, he was a spy for MI6 but he turned commie after being captured in North Korea in the 50s, he was eventually found out but escaped from the Scrubs and fled to the former USSR, where he remains to this day. 93 now, decrepit looking and going blind but he still sounds pretty lucid.

He wasn't part of the Cambridge Five but would definitely get extensive coverage

Has anyone mentioned George Blake? There was a Storyville doc on about him recently, he was a spy for MI6 but he turned commie after being captured in North Korea in the 50s, he was eventually found out but escaped from the Scrubs and fled to the former USSR, where he remains to this day. 93 now, decrepit looking and going blind but he still sounds pretty lucid.

He wasn't part of the Cambridge Five but would definitely get extensive coverage

He's been on my DDP Team for years now which means he'll probably die next year when I give up DDP. I'm surprised he's not a more popular pick to be honest.

Guest guest

Should we consider Pierre Nkurunziza for assassination in 2016, if not earlier? Many generals including top general and close aid to him have been assassinated. That's not counting all the opposition members.

Should we consider Pierre Nkurunziza for assassination in 2016, if not earlier? Many generals including top general and close aid to him have been assassinated. That's not counting all the opposition members.

no, the dl have picked someone who is likely to be assinated and it never works ever. I personally wouldn't include him
  • Like 1

I'm picking Tim Curry for 2016. He was pictured recently following a massive stroke looking totally unrecognisable and sadly, I don't think he's got very long now. And Professor Hawking, but he's been my Clive Dunne. Again for '16, if he lasts that long, I'm pegging Gunther Von Hagens to become one of his own exhibits. He was looking close to death (Parkinsons) back in '13, so he must be close now!

If we're just throwing out names then, with the recent Grim Reaping of several aging music stars from the boozy heydays (Jack Bruce, Lou Reed, etc), I suspect more DDP teams will turn their attention to David Crosby. Various vices in his past which can do for a heart at any point, on his second liver, and had a 90% blocked coronary artery last year.

• Like 1

I'm picking Tim Curry for 2016. He was pictured recently following a massive stroke looking totally unrecognisable and sadly, I don't think he's got very long now. And Professor Hawking, but he's been my Clive Dunne. Again for '16, if he lasts that long, I'm pegging Gunther Von Hagens to become one of his own exhibits. He was looking close to death (Parkinsons) back in '13, so he must be close now!

I agree that Tim Curry is a must have for next year.Very sad to see such a great character reduced to that at only 69.I also think must haves for next year are :

Muhammad Ali ,Stephen Hawking, John Hurt , Liz Dawn,Lynne Stewart, Mary Tyler Moore,Burt Reynolds ,Oliver Sacks, Howard Marks, Brian Sewell,Glen Campbell,Antony Booth Jimmy Hill and Grevile Janner.

• Like 2

I agree that Tim Curry is a must have for next year.Very sad to see such a great character reduced to that at only 69.I also think must haves for next year are :

Muhammad Ali ,Stephen Hawking, John Hurt , Liz Dawn,Lynne Stewart, Mary Tyler Moore,Burt Reynolds ,Oliver Sacks, Howard Marks, Brian Sewell,Glen Campbell,Antony Booth Jimmy Hill and Grevile Janner.

I could see Tim curry hanging on for a a couple of years the same with hurt,moore,ail ,Liz dawn and Jimmy hill. Sewell,Stewart,Howard marks and Reynolds belong to the "omg they surrives 2015". Campbell,janner and Nicholson look like good pics as well but forgot the must that is Liam neeson. Also I couldn't find anything on Oliver Sachs that says his health is in dire straits Edited by Morbidkid

I could see Tim curry hanging on for a a couple of years the same with hurt,moore,ail ,Liz dawn and Jimmy hill. Sewell,Stewart,Howard marks and Reynolds belong to the "omg they surrives 2015". Campbell,janner and Nicholson look like good pics as well but forgot the must that is Liam neeson. Also I couldn't find anything on Oliver Sachs that says his health is in dire straits

Oliver Sacks not in dire straits?The guy has terminal metastatic cancer which has gone from they eye to the liver and now somewhere else from the liver.I think Liam Neeson is certainly a possibility but I think there needs to be more evidence before we put him on the list but I am sure if he is seriously unwell (which sadly looks the case ) we will hear more in the coming months.

Oh and Joe Jackson should definately be on next year`s list too if he is still around.He has had 3 strokes in the past two and a half years and has had to have a pacemaker fitted after three heart attacks.

I could see Tim curry hanging on for a a couple of years the same with hurt,moore,ail ,Liz dawn and Jimmy hill. Sewell,Stewart,Howard marks and Reynolds belong to the "omg they surrives 2015". Campbell,janner and Nicholson look like good pics as well but forgot the must that is Liam neeson. Also I couldn't find anything on Oliver Sachs that says his health is in dire straits

Tim Curry did a cover of Cilla's "Anyone Who Had A Heart", so maybe he could be worth chalking in for next year.

Guest AS43

Just been putting together a list of the oldest Oscar winners/nominees and this is what I've come up with - all these could be a shot within the next year or so (only going to list 90 and above, there's a huge lot of ones in their 80s though) :

Oscar Winners:

Olivia de Havilland (98)

Kirk Douglas (98)

Maureen O'Hara (94)

George Kennedy (90)

Dorothy Malone (90)

Eva Marie Saint (90)

Oscar Nominees:

Carol Channing (94)

Doris Day (93)

Valentina Cortese (92)

Glynis Johns (91)

Cicely Tyson (90)

Hal Holbrook (90)

:Just saw this interview of Harry Leslie Smith the 92 year old writer and political commentator.He clearly has his marbles but does seem a bit disorientated and looks like he is about to fall asleep.A massive contrast from his speech at the Labour party conference last year .He is on a tour in Canada so may be jet lagged but struck me as the sort of guy who looks worn out .Don`t reckon he is famous enough for DL but would obit for DDP and many others on this site.(Apologies for the annoying Milfandom founder schoolgirl )

Douglas Park the bus 'tycoon' , has stepped down as Sevco chairman.

Ill health is the call on the nazi forums, one to keep an eye on...

How about Alistair Urquhart, who was a P.O.W. at the time of the Hiroshima bomb. Following the aftermath from that bomb being dropped, he and other prisoners were loaded on to ships to be sent to Singapore only to have their ship hit by a torpedo fired by the US forces. His account of his time as a POW is detailed in his book The Forgotten Highlander. Since he's been interviewed by the Beeb, he's likely to get a write up when he dies.

Is he the one that was at both bomb sites ?

There defo was one pow who was, and again defo alive recently, but I just can't remember the name.

Is he the one that was at both bomb sites ?

There defo was one pow who was, and again defo alive recently, but I just can't remember the name.

No the one who was at both bomb sites died a few years ago at the age of 93.

• Like 1

on a slightly unrelated note.Who in everyone`s individual opinion the oldest living "celebrity"?I was having a conversation with some friends and family earlier and got some strange answers so would be interested to hear some Deadpoolers ideas.

I would say Vera Lynn in terms of British celebrities and Olivia de Havilland in terms of worldwide celebrity.

• Like 1

Depends if you mean celebrity as "household name" or "DDP obit guaranteed". The former: either Herman Wouk or Joao Havelange, I'd guess. The latter: Bobbie Heine Miller, French Open nearly person of the 1920s.

Guest guest

on a slightly unrelated note.Who in everyone`s individual opinion the oldest living "celebrity"?I was having a conversation with some friends and family earlier and got some strange answers so would be interested to hear some Deadpoolers ideas.

I would say Vera Lynn in terms of British celebrities and Olivia de Havilland in terms of worldwide celebrity.

For obit, probably Zhou Youguang who will be turning 110 next January.