Sign in to follow this  
maryportfuncity

That UK Election Thing

Or just get rid of the complete and stop trying to make enemies out of emerging economic powers?

Trident's a decades-old technology anyway. Surely there are more efficient ways of destroying the World these days?

• Like 1

As far as I know, he's met Nick Clegg, and then Farage a few days ago, and now this guy. So he probably just thinks it's about having bad breath.

• Like 1

UKIP guy on Daily Politics today, when asked what his party will do for women, announced the policy of removing the tax on tampons. That would make for an interesting Queen's Speech, the devil in me would love to see that.

It's environmentally friendly, mind, that means a significant reduction in the cost of swimming and riding a bike.

• Like 1

Ok, just like to comment on Cameron's planned announcement to raise the inheritance tax threshold: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2015-32271505

Sounds good, doesn't it?

Until you read this story from 2013, when they were planning IHT freeze to pay for social care: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21399751

So are they abandoning their plan? Who knows? Looks like you will be able to live in your house, but you'll be lucky to get a five minute bed bath a day when you're ill, frail etc., never mind a hot meal or assistance to the loo. Nice.

Ok, just like to comment on Cameron's planned announcement to raise the inheritance tax threshold: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2015-32271505

Sounds good, doesn't it?

I consider inheritance tax the fairest tax of all. After all, an inheritance is captital for which the recipient has done nothing to earn it, so we might just as well all benefit from the happy occasion.

I've pleaded several times (in private discussions) for a flat rate inheritance tax of 100% on all inherited money and real estate. Strangely enough very few people agree, whatever their political ideology.

• Like 1

Move the damned things to Portsmouth. They get kept, they're out of Scotland, it boosts a struggling economy in the Tory heartlands, and if they do go down to 3, it saves money. Everyone's a winner.

If the SNP are supporting a Labour Government on a vote by vote basis, unless they refused to do it unless Trident was off the table, all Labour would have to do is bring forward a bill and then dare the Tories to vote against it just for political expediency. The SNP only have that power if it is given to them.

Personally I am not sure why having a nuclear submarine constantly at sea makes us any safer, who are they defending us against?

Move the damned things to Portsmouth. They get kept, they're out of Scotland, it boosts a struggling economy in the Tory heartlands, and if they do go down to 3, it saves money. Everyone's a winner.

If the SNP are supporting a Labour Government on a vote by vote basis, unless they refused to do it unless Trident was off the table, all Labour would have to do is bring forward a bill and then dare the Tories to vote against it just for political expediency. The SNP only have that power if it is given to them.

Personally I am not sure why having a nuclear submarine constantly at sea makes us any safer, who are they defending us against?

Defensively its major benefit is that we stay in the UN Security Council. We were there by right when the organisation started this but with China, India and other powers rising our right to be there is questionable now. All the security council members are nuclear powers, and with that memership we still get the opportunity to influence world events and security issues.

Guest Guest

I've just placed a £10 bet on a Labour-SNP coalition so they better come good for me !

I really want this to happen,and fuck the debates..

• Like 1

And tried embedding as normal, it no-a want-a go-a :(

I've just placed a £10 bet on a Labour-SNP coalition so they better come good for me !

If your bet depends on a formal coalition I think you might be - metaphorically speaking - fucked. It's more in the interests of both parties to retain their independence on a bill by bill deal, apart from owt else it means Labour can set an early trap to catch the Tories with the first serious bill that resembles something in the Conservative manifesto, basically challenging the Tories to destabilise the country or eat their words. An early vote on Trident or HS2 would be such a corker!

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/apr/13/lib-dems-tory-coalition12bn-welfare-cuts-nick-clegg

Does this remind anyone of anything? "Lib Dems will not..........." etc......... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

(of course that'll probably end up being one of your lesser worries with people like him in charge, but just saying)

CCj6M1xXIAAaC06.jpg

If it wasn't for his Commie dad's pushy parenting he could have been, like... the British Jim Carrey or something by now, instead of(soon to be) British Jimmy Carter.

CCj6M1xXIAAaC06.jpg

If it wasn't for his Commie dad's pushy parenting he could have been, like... the British Jim Carrey or something by now, instead of(soon to be) British Jimmy Carter.

Aye, given the all out assault on his personality from The Sun (the likes of which we haven't really seen since the days of Kinnock "The Welsh Windbag") you get the impression that 1 - The Tories know they're in serious trouble rising beyond their current poll position. 2 - Red Ed may well be the one getting phone calls on 8 May.

I liked the third Miliband brother best, Steve. I've got some of his records.

• Like 1

Those attacks are nothing. (Just like his "personality"). It's an indictment of the gutlessness of modern right-wing higher-ups that they don't have someone like me working on his character "assassination". Instead they have some guy who probably follows John Terry on Twitter....

Why don't you think of it this way. I was also raised by a demented, dead-eyed, sadistic old cunt who deals with middle age by wallowing in Stalinist fantasy and psychologically pummeling their offspring before they've got a chance to develop into anything other than a stuttering drone who repeats their parents' opinions. (or in my case, she tried to)

And you leftie cunts wouldn't elect me would you?

Those attacks are nothing. (Just like his "personality"). It's an indictment of the gutlessness of modern right-wing higher-ups that they don't have someone like me working on his character "assassination". Instead they have some guy who probably follows John Terry on Twitter....

Why don't you think of it this way. I was also raised by a demented, dead-eyed, sadistic old cunt who deals with middle age by wallowing in Stalinist fantasy and psychologically pummeling their offspring before they've got a chance to develop into anything other than a stuttering drone who repeats their parents' opinions. (or in my case, she tried to)

Was your mother a feminist by any chance?

Depends what we were electing you for. I reckon you'd make a memorable bishop.

That would be good, people wouldn't be allowed to bash me in public.

• Like 2

Since when were bishops elected?

Since when were bishops elected?

Maybe he meant Pope.

Just a reminder to all the posters here who love discussing the lords (or the elderly ones), if you elect Ed Miliband he will replace the Lords with an 'elected senate' so you won't be able to put them on your teams next year cos the press will probably say your average "ex-lord" isn't famous enough. I can understand why he'd want to do it though, since they have two elected chambers over there in the US and look how totally blissful things are there and nobody ever accuses their politicians of being old, out of touch or not deserving their place in congress!