Sign in to follow this  
maryportfuncity

That UK Election Thing

Apologies if I have offended anyone tonight but I am sick of reading all the rubbish that is being spewed out online about the election.

However I do want to leave you with this thought if either Cameron or Milliband win a majority it will be wafer thin and probably less stable than any coalition or deal.

I do not think we will have to wait until 2020 for the next election.

Is anyone up for a game of by-election bingo after May 7th?

Count me in. I am of the opinion that there will be another General Election sooner rather than later. And if that doesn't resolve matters, we are looking at PR and parties being forced to work together.

The irony is that the number crunchers think that if AV had gone through Cameron would be cruising to victory.

• Like 1

Lol.

I hope so.

Not sure Jo Public could stand another election, since this one has been going on for months anyway. Besides, the Fixed Term Act makes the calling an election difficult. The only way there could be another election is if neither side are able to form some sort of government, either coalition or tacit support. It would be difficult to have a situation as in 1964-6 and 1974 when Wilson was able to call the election to his choosing without consulting parliament, if the PM thinks they're in with a chance of getting/increasing their majority...

If I was Labour, I'd play a waiting game if it's true the Tories will be the largest party but find it hard to secure a majority even with the Lib Dems. The SNP would press to get rid, but Labour could site the above reasons of an unnecessary second election so as to abstain from voting out Cameron in the interests of the country. Then wait for the European Union vote to destroy the Conservatives (and who knows what state the economy will be by then) and then seize the moment...

Russell Brand has endorsed the Green Party.

CD24KzJWAAAPwCZ.jpg

CD24KzJWAAAPwCZ.jpg

Not surprised. He's known to support left-wing politics, but he's too hipster to vote for Labour.

• Like 1

CD24KzJWAAAPwCZ.jpg

When Brand's name crops up sister always asks "what's he up to?"

What is he up to?

Who is Russell Brand and why is the Guardian always talking about him?

• Like 1

Well, if you believe the polls and buy into the end game with the SNP with 50 or more seats both the Tories and Labour won't have enough seats anywhere close to a working majority, with maybe no more than ten seat difference between them, then one way out looks likely to be a 50/50 Tory / Labour National Government. Five years of none partisan goverance, putting the nation first and not having a second election.

And I say, if formation can't be made within a few weeks, then that second election really need only be held in the seats not having there own natural majorities. Contesting each seat with only the two highest placed finishers from the initial election.

Well, if you believe the polls and buy into the end game with the SNP with 50 or more seats both the Tories and Labour won't have enough seats anywhere close to a working majority, with maybe no more than ten seat difference between them, then one way out looks likely to be a 50/50 Tory / Labour National Government. Five years of none partisan goverance, putting the nation first and not having a second election.

And I say, if formation can't be made within a few weeks, then that second election really need only be held in the seats not having there own natural majorities. Contesting each seat with only the two highest placed finishers from the initial election.

That second plan would be shot down from all corners as anti-democratic and lead to the largest spoilt ballot in history.

I was led to believe that the mirror has two faces, turns out it's the Sun...

The-Sun-20150430091029729.png

As far as Im aware Labours ability to win the election outright will require it to win seats in Scotland. If it doesn't it will give the Tories a chance of winning the election outright. If the above has factual credibility then its a no brainer that the Scottish edition of the Sun would want an SNP landslide.

Also, the idea that the rest of the UK would want the SNP in coalition with Labour would be like suggesting that the public would like to see a Gary Glittter comeback. That will also play into the hands of the Tories.

Tactics and psychology maybe.

You might also conclude that everything - including what they tell their readers about voting - is negotiable in Sunland so long as the paper and its parent organisation continues to have some power and influence and the most powerful friends on tap.

Ffs, if anycunt is in doubt that Labour are done, well, Murphy is a knobber.

0oweYHR.jpg

... election really need only be held in the seats not having there own natural majorities. Contesting each seat with only the two highest placed finishers from the initial election.

That's what they do in France, the second round run-off. That might not be such a bad system to adopt...

Guest Guest

CD24KzJWAAAPwCZ.jpg

he really is a pillock isn't he :rolleyes:

The BBC have gone with uninterrupted election coverage from 10pm until 7pm bar for VE day - no breakfast by the looks of it, presumably a result of them having to skip it last time round?

The BBC have gone with uninterrupted election coverage from 10pm until 7pm bar for VE day - no breakfast by the looks of it, presumably a result of them having to skip it last time round?

To be fair, this will be genuine moment to moment change at its best points, and it may take weeks to get some sense of who our next government are. Though how many minutes it'll take most of us hereabouts to get sick of it is another question.

To be fair, this will be genuine moment to moment change at its best points, and it may take weeks to get some sense of who our next government are. Though how many minutes it'll take most of us hereabouts to get sick of it is another question.

Time to watch the Game Of Thrones box sets from the start again. :)

I'm probably going to be awake for somewhere in the region of 48 hours around election night, not because I have any need to just because I want too.

I've started preparing my election night seat log as well, this is gonna be fun.

CD24KzJWAAAPwCZ.jpg

Now switching to Labour:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/may/04/russell-brand-changes-mind-about-voting-and-urges-support-for-labour

Slight problem is most people who bought into his bollocks won't be registered to vote and can't (possibly including him!) - wonder how much the Tories paid him for this stunt?

2ldyd93.jpg

So... is he paying sad tribute to Adolf or has he just spotted him out the window at the same time as some indigestion?

"As you go into that polling booth with that stubby pencil in your hand, ask yourself this question. Can't we afford better pencils?"

Well, I've exercised my right to vote. In the constituency that is generally first to declare in Scotland. In one of Labour's safest seats. So this is likely to indicate how badly or how well they may do up here. I can say that the number of folk who appeared to be streaming towards the polling station is equivalent to or more than the referendum. Interesting times.

All I could think though was "30 years I've been doing this and I haven't levelled up yet!"

• Like 1

I was planning initially on voting by post, but it was such a hassle that I nominated my dad to vote by proxy on my behalf.

Thankfully for me, it's only 4pm here when the polls close, so by the time I get home from work the first votes should be completed and I don't have to stay up till the middle of night waiting for the results to come in.

"FREEDOM" from Labour!!!

akCXH0z.gif

• Like 1