Deathray

Political Discussions And Ranting Thread

Yeah, it's how Thatcher won in 1983. Falklands War, wave the flag, it's us against them and if you're not for us you are against us.

2017 - Fight with Europe, wave the flag, it's us against them and if you are not for us you are against us.

I'm not saying there's anybody better. I'm saying they are all rotten. It's up to the people to consider their individual constituency candidate and see who's qualified to take a reasonable stance. Sadly, most people are humming the Birdie Song in their heads and putting a cross against a name "just because"....and look where that has got us for forty years.

Oh and remember Gibraltar? Good. Because Theresa forgot all about them.

I've more of a "sod you and the horse you came on" view on much of the main candidates tbh.

I still think the best case scenario would be May losing the election though. It'd be funny, and would piss off a whole lot of career politicians. Also, in Brexit negotiations, which are screwed either way now, either it would kick our elite up the arse and actually get them to send out some top diplomats to negotiate, or we'd just send Corbyn and the EU would go "Aww, they've sent their slightly loop granddad, lets lower our guard..." Win/win. B)

• Like 1

If Labour won the election, I'm almost certain Corbyn's leadership would be challenged with in twelve months successfully. I'm willing to take that chance. But I don't live in a marginal so it does not matter how I vote. I also put a tenner on a Labour majority shortly after the election was called, so I'm slightly biased. 

It's 16/1 at the minute by the way; maybe if everyone put a tenner on Labour would walk the election.

• Like 1

In twelve hours.

Though given the media AND the Labour party have entirely linked their coming disaster to Corbyn, that'd spectacularly miss the point of such a bonkers scenario.

Back in the world of reality: A tenner? What a waste.

18 minutes ago, msc said:

In twelve hours.

Though given the media AND the Labour party have entirely linked their coming disaster to Corbyn, that'd spectacularly miss the point of such a bonkers scenario.

Back in the world of reality: A tenner? What a waste.

I'd just won £70 by betting on Higgins to whitewash the 2nd mini session of the World Championship final at the time, so not out of pocket.

Before you refer me to the Gambling version of AA - I only normally bet on World Championship snooker and the FA Cup Final.

The ever sanctimonious and condescending Tom Bradby will be anchoring ITV's election night coverage.

Meanwhile, anyone with a brain cell will be watching what is highly likely to be David Dimbleby's final general election on the BBC. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Deathray said:

The ever sanctimonious and condescending Tom Bradby will be anchoring ITV's election night coverage.

Meanwhile, anyone with a brain cell will be watching what is highly likely to be David Dimbleby's final general election on the BBC. 

as well as being logged on in here for rolling coverage of the General Election game

Labour fail to get their candidate elected in Shettleston and lose overall control of Glasgow.

This is an historic moment, and would be worthy of any leader of such a party stepping down.

Paradoxically, Corbyn's values are exactly attuned to Glasgow values, I'd say. Unlike his Red Tory party.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Labour fail to get their candidate elected in Shettleston and lose overall control of Glasgow.

This is an historic moment, and would be worthy of any leader of such a party stepping down.

Paradoxically, Corbyn's values are exactly attuned to Glasgow values, I'd say. Unlike his Red Tory party.

So it is clearly not just his leadership or media spin.Labour are so useless.They. are losing to everyone.

• Like 1

Slightly special in Glasgow, in that it was probably the last bastion of taking the folk for granted by Labour, high independence vote in the 2014 referendum, Scottish Labour's poor leadership rather than national, etc etc.

It's always a pleasure up here, conversely, to see the Tories doing well out of proportional representation and smugly cheering every victory at local and Scottish Parliamentary elections, when they are so against it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Slightly special in Glasgow, in that it was probably the last bastion of taking the folk for granted by Labour, high independence vote in the 2014 referendum, Scottish Labour's poor leadership rather than national, etc etc.

It's always a pleasure up here, conversely, to see the Tories doing well out of proportional representation and smugly cheering every victory at local and Scottish Parliamentary elections, when they are so against it.

From what I can gather Scottish Labour has been utterly incompetent fo years.Am I right in thinking Glasgow was the biggest Labour area in the entire of Scotland at one point?

It is an amusing irony.It is quite fun to watch from down south that Labour are failing under both measures of voting.

Just heard that Labour have lost a seat to UKIP in the North.Beaten by a party that is being wiped off the electoral map.Surely Labour have to purge Corbyn if they stand any chance.

• Like 2

Wouldn't count those chickens - we could still wind up with a Lab/Tory Glasgow coalition.

21 minutes ago, msc said:

Wouldn't count those chickens - we could still wind up with a Lab/Tory Glasgow coalition.

Just been saying that to Dad...because the Tories and Labour always get together in the end.

Dundee was a surprise!

Angus Robertson's on a shaky peg after these results.  The Ghost, Mary Creagh and Gloria de Piero look fecked on them too, not to mention a whole bunch of others.

Two interesting things about how this will affect Scotland in the General Election I think.

Firstly, the full horror of an unfettered huge majority Tory Government may drive SNP voters out in their droves again.

Woodpile person: the fishermen and the farmers may vote overwhelmingly Tory on Brexit, only to find they will be the first to be sold out by them when the money goes to the City of London.

Interesting times....

Tories could sweep large parts of Aberdeen and Perthshire and that bit next month.

Yeah, YW, just wait till folk twig we're not leaving the Common Fisheries....

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

A Tory mayor in Tees Valley

Fucking hell.

And reports Labour could lose control of Durham. 

What this might do is give the voters a horrid vision of the next five years and the missing 30% might get up and vote for someone who isn't a Tory. However the Tory gains do seem to have been bought with UKIP votes.

• Like 1

Yes UKIP voters seem to have taken a strange journey from Labour through UKIP and into Tories - I wonder if they realise!:D

• Like 2

I'm intrigued how the complete insincerity of Theresa is going down.

On Pip's standing down from Royal duties she was quite clearly reading a prepared statement off a card.

Today she was standing in an empty room clearly reading a statement off a card stating that the local elections weren't about local elections but all about strong Brexit. (Remember Cameron's Scottish Referendum being all about EVEL?).

It's very strange to watch...

• Like 1

Shettleston voted Tory .....the clues are there....C_D4JGiW0AMgYNH?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 2

I lolled at the rise of the Tory vote IMG_20170420_152407.jpg