Deathray

Political Discussions And Ranting Thread

Just now, RoverAndOut said:

What are you talking about? He's gone from 202 Labour MPs to 411! Literally twice as many! You don't think some of them may be better qualified or more politically astute than some of those in the previous parliament? At least 2 former cabinet ministers were re-elected on Thursday, plus a number of Starmer loyalists and advisers. Hardly surprising some of them will quickly get ministerial posts. 

Yep.

The Solictor General is an expert in planning laws.

The Veterans minister is a veteran himself.

Georgina Gould was a council leader

8 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Yep.

The Solictor General is an expert in planning laws.

The Veterans minister is a veteran himself.

Georgina Gould was a council leader

Also the daughter of New Labour grandees in Philip Gould and Baroness Rebuck. There was a profile of Labour rising stars in the new intake in the 'i' yesterday. Of those mentioned in Crem's tweet, only Carns isn't mentioned.

Miatta Fahnbulleh is a Liberian refugee think-tanker and was recently an economic adviser to Angela Rayner and Ed Miliband.

Sarah Sackman was vice-chair of the Jewish Labour Movement.

Kirsty McNeill was President of the Oxford Union and advised Gordon Brown during the small matter of the financial crash.

14 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

What are you talking about? He's gone from 202 Labour MPs to 411! Literally twice as many! You don't think some of them may be better qualified or more politically astute than some of those in the previous parliament? At least 2 former cabinet ministers were re-elected on Thursday, plus a number of Starmer loyalists and advisers. Hardly surprising some of them will quickly get ministerial posts. 

Because it’s unusual even in previous major increases in a parties numbers of MP’s. It shows how hollowed out the PLP became for a bit and how a lot of talent left the PLP in 2917 and 2019 through defeat or resignation. 

17 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

We've been waiting a long time for grown-ups to be in charge.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Toast said:

We've been waiting a long time for grown-ups to be in charge.

Isn't it great? I'm just loving how quiet everything is, and how people are just getting on with governing. Rachel Reeves talks about housing targets yesterday and putting that in motion. Starmer has a meeting with the mayors this morning that results in the announcement of a Council of Mayors to meet regularly with government, showing joined-up thinking. Houchen coming out saying Starmer is less interested in party and more interested in getting things done. Rayner getting rid of the phrase "levelling up". Streeting engaging with junior doctors to bring an end to the strikes. Appointing an expert in international law as your Attorney General when there are geopolitical flashpoints in Ukraine and Gaza, not to mention the potential re-election of someone with no interest in international law in the USA. Appointing an expert in rehabilitation to head a prison system groaning under the number of prisoners it has, many of whom are reoffenders. An expert in planning law as Solicitor General when housebuilding and reforming the planning system is a primary concern. The fact you can see the process that they are taking is just a joy. Will it last? Who can say. But so far, I am overjoyed to have boring grown-ups doing proper government work without fanfare or drama. No culture wars, no hate-filled rhetoric, no clowns or caricatures. Just honest, hardworking, ordinary people trying to fix things for other honest, hardworking, ordinary people. Long may it continue.

• Like 6

This is hilarious. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

This is hilarious. 

No way Bravermann takes that jibe lying down 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Old Crem said:

Because it’s unusual even in previous major increases in a parties numbers of MP’s. It shows how hollowed out the PLP became for a bit and how a lot of talent left the PLP in 2917 and 2019 through defeat or resignation. 

Care to back this up with numbers? I know TQR says to ignore you, and I do try but just to say that between the Cameron Shadow Cabinet and the 2010 Cabinet, there were 6 changes of role, in part due to a further 3 roles going to Lib Dems.

In the Blair Shadow Cabinet to the 1997 Cabinet, there were 7 changes of role - and in both the cases listed, that is just on a Cabinet level, not the junior ministers and undersecretaries that you are talking about. :facepalm:

12 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Well she's already attacked Jenrick, it stands to reason Kemi's next.

55 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Care to back this up with numbers? I know TQR says to ignore you, and I do try but just to say that between the Cameron Shadow Cabinet and the 2010 Cabinet, there were 6 changes of role, in part due to a further 3 roles going to Lib Dems.

In the Blair Shadow Cabinet to the 1997 Cabinet, there were 7 changes of role - and in both the cases listed, that is just on a Cabinet level, not the junior ministers and undersecretaries that you are talking about. :facepalm:

I don’t mean change of role. I mean MP’s who have just been elected for the first time immediately becoming a Minster. 

1 hour ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Her reaction will be epic. 

1 hour ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

I also enjoyed her line about the importance of shadow cabinet meeting details not being leaked...in a shadow cabinet meeting leak.

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

I don’t mean change of role. I mean MP’s who have just been elected for the first time immediately becoming a Minster. 

But they're not wet-behind-the-ears new to politics MPs, as has been demonstrated to you. They're people already versed in the world of government. Why wouldn't you use their talents? :facepalm:

• Like 3

Both Andrew George and Ben Maguire (LibDems) chose to also get sworn in in Cornish. George used to do it, I remember, but is this the first time 2 have? Can't remember any others.

Lovely to hear it, mind.

• Like 1

I never knew there was a thing called the Scottish oath which is a religous oath without holding a Bible. 

Angela Rayner is an advocate of British Sign Language lessons being provided for free to parents of deaf children and knows BSL herself.

Look how far we've come in a week.

777783898_Image10-07-2024at10_33.thumb.jpeg.e95ebef1622354a023c048f32dfdecb9.jpeg

• Like 6

30p Leenoch has been made Reform Ltd's Chief Whip :lol::lol::lol:

It'll be a bit like a drunken thug arranging a stag weekend in Blackpool with his mates, only with less class.

• Haha 4

I've said before, a "like" reaction isn't enough for some posts. Can we have a "love", please?  @Death Impends  @Paul Bearer    image.png.741343106080040287c068e6f494c1b5.png

(This was for the Rayner/Jenkyns post)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Completely agree with @Toast, there have been loads of posts where I'd have used a 'love' instead of a 'like' @Death Impends @Paul Bearer

This doesn't mean I've stopped advocating adding a 'dickhead' reaction to clear up facepalm confusion, though. That's a good idea too if I say so myself :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, TQR said:

Completely agree with @Toast, there have been loads of posts where I'd have used a 'love' instead of a 'like' @Death Impends @Paul Bearer

This doesn't mean I've stopped advocating adding a 'dickhead' reaction to clear up facepalm confusion, though. That's a good idea too if I say so myself :D

Yes indeed. Facepalm is often directed at the content of a post, but can be taken as being aimed at the poster when in fact you are agreeing with them that something is stupid.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, TQR said:

Angela Rayner is an advocate of British Sign Language lessons being provided for free to parents of deaf children and knows BSL herself.

Look how far we've come in a week.

777783898_Image10-07-2024at10_33.thumb.jpeg.e95ebef1622354a023c048f32dfdecb9.jpeg

As someone who, ashamedly, does not know BSL, I'd like to say I do understand Andrea Jenkyns sign language but not Angela Rayner's. :D

• Haha 2

FB_IMG_1720597229681.jpg.30beef7771ecc52943c06b40281e0c9c.jpg

Ah, a return to our international rules and obligations, how refreshing.

• Like 5