Deathray

Political Discussions And Ranting Thread

Tory leadership rules have been set. 10 nominees needed to get on the first ballot. MPs will vote in rounds to reduce the number of candidates to 4, who will all speak to delegates at the party conference at the end of September. MPs will then reduce the 4 to 2, who will then be put to the membership in an online ballot. New leader will be in place at the start of November. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c6p24l5254xo

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TQR said:

A question purely out of interest for Americans who will not be voting Republican in November: assuming Kamala Harris secures the Dem nomination, who would you personally prefer to see as her running mate and why?

Forgive me for bumping this to the next page; I'm genuinely interested.

7 minutes ago, TQR said:

Forgive me for bumping this to the next page; I'm genuinely interested.

I like Josh Shapiro (the governor of Pennsylvania) but having a Jewish man on the same ticket as a Black/Indian woman might be too much sadly for this country. So it will likely be a white guy like Steve Beshear (the governor of Kentucky). I also like Tim Walz (the governor of Minnesota), but he is from a state that Harris should win. Pragmatically, I would go with Beshear. He wont win his own state, but he would help North Carolina Virginia Pennsylvania and maybe even Ohio.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Undead In Ohio said:

I like Josh Shapiro (the governor of Pennsylvania) but having a Jewish man on the same ticket as a Black/Indian woman might be too much sadly for this country. So it will likely be a white guy like Steve Beshear (the governor of Kentucky). I also like Tim Walz (the governor of Minnesota), but he is from a state that Harris should win. Pragmatically, I would go with Beshear. He wont win his own state, but he would help North Carolina Virginia Pennsylvania and maybe even Ohio.

Kentucky has a Democratic governor? :blink: How the hell did that happen?

19 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Kentucky has a Democratic governor? :blink: How the hell did that happen?

Andy Beshear (Undead In Ohio mixed the names up, Steve Beshear is Andy's father and also a former governor) won the governorship in 2019 due to the massive unpopularity of incumbent Matt Bevin and the goodwill surrounding the Beshear name thanks to his father's popular tenure. A perfect storm, to be sure, but one that took talent to seize.

Then he won reelection fairly comfortably; his challenger ran heavily on transphobic culture warring in hopes it would polarize the race against a popular incumbent. All it ultimately did was cement Beshear as the adult in the room :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Death Impends said:

Andy Beshear (Undead In Ohio mixed the names up, Steve Beshear is Andy's father and also a former governor) won the governorship in 2019 due to the massive unpopularity of incumbent Matt Bevin and the goodwill surrounding the Beshear name thanks to his father's popular tenure. A perfect storm, to be sure, but one that took talent to seize.

Then he won reelection fairly comfortably; his challenger ran heavily on transphobic culture warring in hopes it would polarize the race against a popular incumbent. All it ultimately did was cement Beshear as the adult in the room :D

He also won reelection due to his excellent response with significant natural disasters in his tenure. An effective politician that has cross-party appeal (and he's a straight white male!). I lean towards him as VP along with others on the forum.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pete Buttigieg is getting a fair amount of attention and praise on SM from what I'm seeing, but the majority of it appears to be coming from people outside the US. I rather get the impression he's not as popular among his home crowd; why is that?

25 minutes ago, TQR said:

Pete Buttigieg is getting a fair amount of attention and praise on SM from what I'm seeing, but the majority of it appears to be coming from people outside the US. I rather get the impression he's not as popular among his home crowd; why is that?

Liberal leftie from the Sanders wing of the party I think (I remember him contesting the primaries 4 years ago but not really kept on top of him since). Unlikely to help Harris where she needs help.

8 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

Liberal leftie from the Sanders wing of the party I think (I remember him contesting the primaries 4 years ago but not really kept on top of him since). Unlikely to help Harris where she needs help.

I’m not sure he is particularly on the Sanders wing 

9 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

Aye, and...politically incorrect as it sounds, I'm thinking the gay "mayor Pete" might be a step too far on a joint ticket with a mixed ethnicity brown woman presidential candidate. 

Just a guess, a white married man with children will be the VP candidate when the dust settles on this.

• Like 2

Just now, maryportfuncity said:

Aye, and...politically incorrect as it sounds, I'm thinking the gay "mayor Pete" might be a step too far on a joint ticket with a mixed ethnicity brown woman presidential candidate. 

Just a guess, a white married man with children will be the VP candidate when the dust settles on this.

My guess. The guy from Pennsylvania or the astronaut with the wife who got shot. Basically, rust belt or popular guy who speaks on key issues. Both from key swing states.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Credit to Mad Nad for once. She's just exposed the inner cogs of the Tory leaderships candidates and basically revealed how Badenoch and Jenrick's campaigns are corrupted before they've even been launched:

https://x.com/NadineDorries/status/1815692405737226477

Is she telling us anything we don't actually know though? The links between the right wing press and the Tory Party have always been fairly clear, even if they go deeper than Joe Public might be aware of. All the time Michael Gove was a Secretary of State, his wife was writing a weekly column in the Daily Fail. Danny Finkelstein has written for the Times for years, having been a Tory adviser, then they appointed him to the House of Lords. Matthew Parris was a sitting Tory MP for Christ's sake. There are plenty of MPs married to journalists, siblings in opposite camps, children in journalism, and so on. Kemi Badenoch worked for The Spectator? Boris Johnson was its editor!

The party usually gets what it wants eventually. And they've always been ruthless. Thatcher seized on Heath's weakness post-74. The minute she'd outstayed her usefulness, they ditched her. They made sure neither Heseltine nor Clarke could ever win the leadership. They didn't let IDS fight an election, they knifed Boris in the back, forced May out, put Boris in a corner and sunk Truss inside 2 months. Plus ca change.

But Dorries isn't some great whistleblower. She's a scorned lover. She was relevant and important as long as Boris kept her as a Secretary of State, and once he'd gone she thought she was going to become Baroness Dorries with all the trappings of a life in the House of Lords. It didn't happen (nor should it have even been on the table). And consequently, now, she's happy to see the Tory Party burn for as long as possible: to prove her right, to punish her perceived enemies.Oh, and don't forget to buy her book! And it's sequel: "Why We Lost: How the men in dark rooms ruined the Tory Party", coming soon to a bookshop near you (probably in time for Christmas). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RoverAndOut said:

Is she telling us anything we don't actually know though? The links between the right wing press and the Tory Party have always been fairly clear, even if they go deeper than Joe Public might be aware of. All the time Michael Gove was a Secretary of State, his wife was writing a weekly column in the Daily Fail. Danny Finkelstein has written for the Times for years, having been a Tory adviser, then they appointed him to the House of Lords. Matthew Parris was a sitting Tory MP for Christ's sake. There are plenty of MPs married to journalists, siblings in opposite camps, children in journalism, and so on. Kemi Badenoch worked for The Spectator? Boris Johnson was its editor!

The party usually gets what it wants eventually. And they've always been ruthless. Thatcher seized on Heath's weakness post-74. The minute she'd outstayed her usefulness, they ditched her. They made sure neither Heseltine nor Clarke could ever win the leadership. They didn't let IDS fight an election, they knifed Boris in the back, forced May out, put Boris in a corner and sunk Truss inside 2 months. Plus ca change.

But Dorries isn't some great whistleblower. She's a scorned lover. She was relevant and important as long as Boris kept her as a Secretary of State, and once he'd gone she thought she was going to become Baroness Dorries with all the trappings of a life in the House of Lords. It didn't happen (nor should it have even been on the table). And consequently, now, she's happy to see the Tory Party burn for as long as possible: to prove her right, to punish her perceived enemies.Oh, and don't forget to buy her book! And it's sequel: "Why We Lost: How the men in dark rooms ruined the Tory Party", coming soon to a bookshop near you (probably in time for Christmas). 

True, though she’s actually elaborating on how they’re all linked to those specific campaigns. I’ve never seen it explained like that anywhere else before.

And yeah, she is bitter. Not praising her, just giving a good and detailed post credit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ulitzer95 said:

True, though she’s actually elaborating on how they’re all linked to those specific campaigns. I’ve never seen it explained like that anywhere else before.

And yeah, she is bitter. Not praising her, just giving a good and detailed post credit.

Fair enough, I'll be more once she explains the dodgy deals that got Boris into power, or how she kept her own daughter on her staff. As for her current motives, I refer you below:

Some Men Just Want Watch The World Burn GIF

(For men, read: women).

The new deputy speakers have been elected. 

7 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Credit to Mad Nad for once. She's just exposed the inner cogs of the Tory leaderships candidates and basically revealed how Badenoch and Jenrick's campaigns are corrupted before they've even been launched:

https://x.com/NadineDorries/status/1815692405737226477

Appalling, inconsistent use of commas, or is she telling us something really terrifying, does "Badenochs" mean there's a small army of clones all being mistaken for one shadow minister?

20 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

Tory leadership rules have been set. 10 nominees needed to get on the first ballot. MPs will vote in rounds to reduce the number of candidates to 4, who will all speak to delegates at the party conference at the end of September. MPs will then reduce the 4 to 2, who will then be put to the membership in an online ballot. New leader will be in place at the start of November. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c6p24l5254xo

I'd prefer them to settle it via a cagefight tournament: each match requires premium rate tickets to watch in an arena, while TV viewers need a Sky Sports/BT Sport-style package to watch it. Despite this millions will be scrambling to pay for the privilege, particularly if the final is between Braverman and Badenoch, which will make the Euros look like Sunday league, with a huge economic boost to go with it.

• Like 1

Just now, maryportfuncity said:

James Cleverly is in the running: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cv2g0z1gkzyo

Oh goody, Jimmy Dimly thinks he can be an effective opposition leader. His party is a shithole.

Just now, TQR said:

Oh goody, Jimmy Dimly thinks he can be an effective opposition leader. His party is a shithole.

Cometh the shithole, cometh the man...oh, wait a minute, that's easily misunderstood!

Please, Tugendhat, throw your hat in the ring soon. The only remaining experienced politician in the Tory Party with any shred of competence and ability to save it from completely decaying into Britain's own culture war-stoking MAGA cult forever. 

• Like 1

7 Labour MPs suspended by Starmer for supporting an SNP amendment.

Doesn’t seem very democratic…

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Brad252 said:

I'd prefer them to settle it via a cagefight tournament: each match requires premium rate tickets to watch in an arena, while TV viewers need a Sky Sports/BT Sport-style package to watch it. Despite this millions will be scrambling to pay for the privilege, particularly if the final is between Braverman and Badenoch, which will make the Euros look like Sunday league, with a huge economic boost to go with it.

To the death? :evil2:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

7 Labour MPs suspended by Starmer for supporting an SNP amendment.

Doesn’t seem very democratic…

Actions have consequences.