Deathray

Political Discussions And Ranting Thread

So, interesting speculation on The World Tonight that if Jenrick can't vote for that bill it indicates they'd have at least 28, largely to the right of him who can't vote for it either, so potential defeat in the commons. One way to avoid that is to do what's been done before and tie the vote to a confidence vote in the government, meaning they win their vote, and probably ship a fuck-tonne of letters to the 1922 Committee the following morning. 

I'm still of the opinion Sunak is that rarity, likely the first PM to take office thinking the job his ticket to a more lucrative career afterwards, so how much sleep he'll actually lose over this is a good question. If they oust him as he goes down apparently trying to do the right thing and please the unpleasable faction that amount to the Conservative Party members still paid up and and regularly bothering their MPs, then he gets to plan his post-election career from the back benches, which are already groaning with ex-ministers, and likely leaves the newly elected to Suella Braverman to take the tanking the electorate will dish out. She's already up and running with an election bid in all but name. Whether the party would dare pause politics and even allow another divisive leadership campaign with multiple candidates is a good question.  Also, if they take the nuclear option of ousting Sunak, three PMs in a row unelected by the public likely means every PMQs starts with another observation of that point and the pointed question about when they'll grant the election the country so badly wants.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

So, interesting speculation on The World Tonight that if Jenrick can't vote for that bill it indicates they'd have at least 28, largely to the right of him who can't vote for it either, so potential defeat in the commons. One way to avoid that is to do what's been done before and tie the vote to a confidence vote in the government, meaning they win their vote, and probably ship a fuck-tonne of letters to the 1922 Committee the following morning. 

I'm still of the opinion Sunak is that rarity, likely the first PM to take office thinking the job his ticket to a more lucrative career afterwards, so how much sleep he'll actually lose over this is a good question. If they oust him as he goes down apparently trying to do the right thing and please the unpleasable faction that amount to the Conservative Party members still paid up and and regularly bothering their MPs, then he gets to plan his post-election career from the back benches, which are already groaning with ex-ministers, and likely leaves the newly elected to Suella Braverman to take the tanking the electorate will dish out. She's already up and running with an election bid in all but name. Whether the party would dare pause politics and even allow another divisive leadership campaign with multiple candidates is a good question.  Also, if they take the nuclear option of ousting Sunak, three PMs in a row unelected by the public likely means every PMQs starts with another observation of that point and the pointed question about when they'll grant the election the country so badly wants.

The talk I've heard is Sunak wants to get an India trade deal over the line to enrich his wife further. If that happens he'll have nothing to lose, but until then any sign of breakdown and he might be wary. 

May you live in interesting times - Daily Mail, just about, turns on the Tories

_131945395_cropdailymail7dec-nc.png.webp

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, prussianblue said:

Meanwhile, Maduro's Venezuela is preparing to follow Putin's example and annexe 2/3rds of neighbouring Guyana to grab their (mostly offshore) oil. Brazil now massing troops to shore up the shared border region: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-67645018

Guyana is a commonwealth country. 

6 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Guyana is a commonwealth country. 

Correct. Any more trivia up your sleeve?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Are they open to suggestions on this?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Johnson said earlier in the Covid Inquiry “I don’t want anybody to think that I thought Long Covid wasn’t a serious problem”. 

This was given in evidence, Johnson’s written response to a report he was handed about Long Covid:

IMG_8536.thumb.jpeg.13a6f2bd6c37d8d27524948dd0f27e42.jpeg

• Like 2

This is the bonkers bit - this legislation is truly awful, terrifying in many ways. And it's still seen as too weak by the fanatics at the fringes of the Tory Party. Is it truly possible that the inmates could take control of the asylum and the Tory Party ceases to be a force in British politics? Someone mentioned the 1993 Canadian election a little while ago didn't they...? :rolleyes: I know it's wishful thinking, but still...

• Like 2

We know already that the Tories are thieving bastards, but May nicking a belt from someone right in front of her takes the piss.

IMG_8537.thumb.jpeg.13003034281e357fd9176eac6b4a5635.jpeg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

This is the bonkers bit - this legislation is truly awful, terrifying in many ways. And it's still seen as too weak by the fanatics at the fringes of the Tory Party. Is it truly possible that the inmates could take control of the asylum and the Tory Party ceases to be a force in British politics? Someone mentioned the 1993 Canadian election a little while ago didn't they...? :rolleyes: I know it's wishful thinking, but still...

The vote does have one benefit. We will see the full amount of MP’s getting proxy votes and might be able to work out some with the potential to be DDP hits in 2024.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TQR said:

We know already that the Tories are thieving bastards, but May nicking a belt from someone right in front of her takes the piss.

IMG_8537.thumb.jpeg.13003034281e357fd9176eac6b4a5635.jpeg

Am I the only one getting "Please remove this fucking loony from my office before she stabs me" vibes from Theresa May here?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Am I the only one getting "Please remove this fucking loony from my office before she stabs me" vibes from Theresa May here?

Seeing how she is dressed, Teresa is just pissed off because she was having a bath when the visitor turned up. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I'm getting "I'm only doing this because I have to" vibes.

• Like 2

Awesome headline.

407666531_Screenshot2023-12-09at13_55_12.thumb.png.96cdb0ca99ef8a1014a1f353fdbfbd31.png

• Haha 6

Some of Liz Truss supporters want Simon Clarke to replace Sunak as PM.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2

6 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Some of Liz Truss supporters want Simon Clarke to replace Sunak as PM.

• Like 1