RadGuy

Queen Margrethe II of Denmark

On 31/12/2023 at 11:15, Genfærd said:

She just announced that she will abdicate on January 14th 2024.

Abdicated.

• Like 1

Good old Daisy. May she enjoy many years of retirement.

The BBC though: 

"She will keep her title as Queen, while the King's wife retains the title of Queen Consort.....  The British monarch King Charles and Queen Consort Camilla sent their best wishes "

:banghead: 

I thought it was well established now that "Queen Consort" is NOT a title.  It's a rank, or position.  Queens Consort are styled Queen.

• Like 1

No coronation? Terrible choice!

25 minutes ago, Comped said:

No coronation? Terrible choice!

Danish monarchs have been proclaimed since the 1840s. Like most of the surviving European monarchies, they don't do UK-style coronations. The Belgians don't even have an actual crown.

Lovely to see a genuinely happy occasion, unmarred by the death of a parent. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, prussianblue said:

Danish monarchs have been proclaimed since the 1840s. Like most of the surviving European monarchies, they don't do UK-style coronations. The Belgians don't even have an actual crown.

I was hoping for an occasion to do some royal spotting personally. Maybe see a Lego model of the palace or something.

14 hours ago, prussianblue said:

Kind of a shame. I thought the whole point of a monarchy in the modern world was that we could have these kinds of gaudy over-the-top parties which never happen if your country only has a fusty boring president? 

16 hours ago, prussianblue said:

It’s why the British monarchy is universally known (other than for formerly occupying much of the world) and these continental ones are non-entities. 

I’m sure we could lend them a crown as we have plenty…

4 hours ago, Sod's Law said:

Kind of a shame. I thought the whole point of a monarchy in the modern world was that we could have these kinds of gaudy over-the-top parties which never happen if your country only has a fusty boring president? 

I mean, you had a man dressed like a tin soldier standing on the balcony of a vast palace in front of thousands of people, so it wasn't an entirely dry bureaucratic event.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, prussianblue said:

Excellent, not wasting millions of pounds (or Krones) on an unnecessary ceremony, that at the end of the day means nothing and could just be done with out all the pomp and circumstance with the money can go to much better causes in the country.

58 minutes ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

Excellent, not wasting millions of pounds (or Krones) on an unnecessary ceremony, that at the end of the day means nothing and could just be done with out all the pomp and circumstance with the money can go to much better causes in the country.

I agree it is kind of pointless in the end, but hey, at least we did get a bank holiday out of it, something we are sorely lacking in in this country compared with our European cousins (and even the US). And I read that the UK and Denmark are incidentally the only two countries in the world which don't have a national day of any kind (the UK's separate nations each have their own national days but nobody's taking to the streets to celebrate St George's Day for instance) so even republican countries clearly throw lavish expensive ceremonies every year for Bastille Day, 4th of July, etc. 

1 hour ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

This is often said, but the money doesn't just disappear.  It circulates.  People get paid for their services or supplying goods, anything from robes to candles. Big occasions provide work and opportunities for lots of people.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Toast said:

This is often said, but the money doesn't just disappear.  It circulates.  People get paid for their services or supplying goods, anything from robes to candles. Big occasions provide work and opportunities for lots of people.

Indeed, it's like people who complain about India sending rockets into space instead of treating the grinding poverty in its cities. They forget that there isn't some finite amount of money in existence which can only be spent this way or that way.