RadGuy

Queen Margrethe II of Denmark

20 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

It will mean the world won't have a single reigning female monarch!

And the world will have only one female head of state : Peruvian Dina Boluarte .

• Like 1
  • Shocked 2

15 hours ago, Miranda lass said:

So just wanted to ask is she likely to die soon like 2025 do you think?

I'm all for having her on my future list but wonder how likely she is to be a committee pick?

I suspect that the death of our Queen in her 90s and the accession of Charles in his 70s gave her cause for reflection.

Did she really want to go on working to the end of her life, and wouldn't it be best for Frederik to take the throne while still in his prime?

She will also have noticed the pressure on Charles of dealing with the protocols of succession immediately following the death of his mother, with no time to mourn.

So while anything can happen, I don't think the threat of imminent death was a factor.

• Like 3

I really hate when Monarchs resign due to old age. Like, you signed up for the job for life, there's no retiring, otherwise its just a glorified presidency.
There should be a global law assigning every Monarch who wants to resign for a ritual execution to make him do so in that way.

1 hour ago, Sinbabad said:

And the world will have only one female head of state : Peruvian Dina Boluarte .

There are quite a few other female presidents. . 

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

There are quite a few other female presidents. . 

Really who ? Well to be honest, I didn’t check the Oceanic countries or the Caribbean. And I’m pretty sure there is no African or Asian female head of states.

You’re right, I forgot the Ethiopian  and Tanzaninan president.

Edited by Sinbabad

11 minutes ago, Sinbabad said:

Really who ? Well to be honest, I didn’t check the Oceanic countries or the Caribbean. And I’m pretty sure there is no African or Asian female head of states.

Tsai Ing-wen of Taiwan. 
Sahle-Work Zewde of Ethiopia 

Salome Zourabichvili of Georgia.

Sylvanie Burton of Dominica 

Christine Kangaloo of Trinidad and Tobago 

Nataša Pirc Musar of Slovakia 

Droupadi Murmu of India 

Katalin Novák of Hungary 

Xiomara Castro of Honduras 

Sandra Mason of Barbados 

Vjosa Osmani of Kosovo 

Samia Suluhu Hassan of Tanzania 

Katerina Sakellaropoulou of Greece 

Zuzana Čaputová of Slovenia 

Maia Sandu of Moldova 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, roaming_comrade said:

I really hate when Monarchs resign due to old age. Like, you signed up for the job for life, there's no retiring, otherwise its just a glorified presidency.
There should be a global law assigning every Monarch who wants to resign for a ritual execution to make him do so in that way.

i disagree for the reasons I mentioned.  Also they don't "sign up" for anything, it is a position forced by accident of birth.

If a monarch "retires", they can still continue to serve if their health allows by keeping a patronage or doing the occasional public engagement.  But the real value is in being available to advise their successor when needed.

• Like 3

My thinking is more like do they vow their life as QE2 did, or if it were just her thing, as I'm not keen on someone going back on that kind of promise :shock2:

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Miranda lass said:

My thinking is more like do they vow their life as QE2 did, or if it were just her thing, as I'm not keen on someone going back on that kind of promise :shock2:

"I declare before you all that my whole life whether it be long or short shall be devoted to your service and the service of our great imperial family to which we all belong."

She promised to serve.  She didn't explicitly promise not to abdicate, but I suppose that was taken as read since no monarch other than Edward VIII had abdicated.

I think if she had retired that it wouldn't necessarily have been a broken promise, as she could have continued to serve in the ways I suggested earlier.  But she wouldn't have seen it that way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roaming_comrade said:

Well maybe they think a youngest monarch will better serve his country than a old geezer.

1 hour ago, roaming_comrade said:

Yeah, that makes tonnes of sense. Keep up the title that was thrusted upon you or get killed. Reasonable.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, roaming_comrade said:

The trouble with that is monarchs in the days of yore mostly didn't live into their eighties or nineties like they all do these days. There was always some plague epidemic or dynastic conflict around the corner to finish them off and leave a young fresh-faced heir in their place. If none of them abdicated then we'll probably never see a new monarch under the age of sixty in any country again. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Toast said:

I suspect that the death of our Queen in her 90s and the accession of Charles in his 70s gave her cause for reflection.

Did she really want to go on working to the end of her life, and wouldn't it be best for Frederik to take the throne while still in his prime?

She will also have noticed the pressure on Charles of dealing with the protocols of succession immediately following the death of his mother, with no time to mourn.

So while anything can happen, I don't think the threat of imminent death was a factor.

I've been thinking this as well. Surely QE2's demise gave Magrethe an insight into her own end of life, and a chance to reflect on how she wanted to spend her later years. The surgery this year probably accelerated this too, as she suggested. As you say, it doesn't mean she will have no purpose or function any more, but it gives her son time to adjust to the responsibilities of the role while she is still fit and healthy herself and smooth the transition when she goes. I'm wondering what title she will take; if she follows Beatrix's example in the Netherlands, presumably she will become Princess Margrethe of Denmark.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

I'm wondering what title she will take; if she follows Beatrix's example in the Netherlands, presumably she will become Princess Margrethe of Denmark.

I don't understand why the Dutch RF does that.

Widowed Queens Consort are still called Queen, so I don't see why a retired monarch should adopt a lesser title.  There's no problem about having two Queens knocking about, unless they have the same name as happened with the Elizabeths. And that was solved by attaching the new handle of Queen Mother.  She was "Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother" in full.

1 hour ago, Toast said:

There's no problem about having two Queens knocking about…

That’s only your opinion. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Toast said:

I don't understand why the Dutch RF does that.

Widowed Queens Consort are still called Queen, so I don't see why a retired monarch should adopt a lesser title.  There's no problem about having two Queens knocking about, unless they have the same name as happened with the Elizabeths. And that was solved by attaching the new handle of Queen Mother.  She was "Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother" in full.

Yeah, I had to check Beatrix's title for the precedent. Personally, there are a few options I think. I assumed Dowager Queen would be an option but that would require her to be a widow I suppose. They could follow Papal precedent and title her Queen Emeritus (but does that suggest appointment or election?). Or simply clunkily label her Former Queen. But I agree, I don't think it would overly confuse people to have Queen Magrethe, King Frederick and Queen Mary all at the same time.

It was announced she will remain ‘Her Majesty’ so could only assume she will remain Queen Magrethe (source), otherwise she should only be stylised as Her Royal Highness. It would be tricky to become a Princess given she stripped four of her grandchildren of their Prince/Princess titles only last year. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

It was announced she will remain ‘Her Majesty’ so could only assume she will remain Queen Magrethe, otherwise she should only be stylised as Her Royal Highness. It would be tricky to become a Princess given she stripped four of her grandchildren of their Prince/Princess titles only last year. 

I heard on the radio today, that her status as "Queen" will not remain, and she will be called HRH. She is full on retiring.

3 minutes ago, Genfærd said:

I heard on the radio today, that her status as "Queen" will not remain, and she will be called HRH. She is full on retiring.

That seems unnecessary to me. What has happened in the past with widowed consorts, did they remain Queen or were they demoted?

• Like 1

I found out yesterday that she is a talented artist and provided illustrations for the Danish publication of The Hobbit under a pseudonym 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I found out yesterday that she is a talented artist and provided illustrations for the Danish publication of The Hobbit under a pseudonym 

My best mate worked for her as a horse groom about 20 years ago and has nothing but utter praise for her. Regal yes, but very down to earth behind the scenes and kind towards staff. The fact he smokes helped their relationship in the yard as well. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Genfærd said:

Article saying the Danish Government have confirmed she will retain Her Majesty. As an earlier post stated it’s likely she will keep the title Queen unlike Beatrix. 

Just call her the Queen Mother. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Windsor said:

Article saying the Danish Government have confirmed she will retain Her Majesty. As an earlier post stated it’s likely she will keep the title Queen unlike Beatrix. 

Just call her the Queen Mother. 

The Royal House just announced that she will keep her queen title. You're right.

Source: https://www.kongehuset.dk/nyheder/ændringer-i-den-kongelige-families-titler

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Genfærd said:

Thank god we in the UK didn't follow that custom with Edward VIII... 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sod's Law said:

Thank god we in the UK didn't follow that custom with Edward VIII... 

I suppose it’s the difference of a honourable discharge and a dishonourable discharge. 

Spain didn’t get the memo…

• Like 3