RadGuy

Queen Margrethe II of Denmark

2 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Big shock. 

You raised my expectations a bit too high here.

I think that will be the first time Europe won't have a single female reigning monarch since the 1700's.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, DoorSlammer said:

I think that will be the first time Europe won't have a single female reigning monarch since the 1700's.

About bloody time, huzzah for the patriarchy!

(joke).

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, DoorSlammer said:

It will mean the world won't have a single reigning female monarch!

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, DoorSlammer said:

And will probably be a decade or more until Victoria succeeds Carl Gustaf as monarch of Sweden.  I am not sure the Spanish or Belgian monarchies will make it to the female heirs taking over. The Dutch and eventually the Norwegian Monarchies probably will. 

So not a death but her aducation from the thrown after 52 years being annouced on New Years Eve shows that things still happen in the dying hours of an old year.

25 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

And will probably be a decade or more until Victoria succeeds Carl Gustaf as monarch of Sweden.  I am not sure the Spanish or Belgian monarchies will make it to the female heirs taking over. The Dutch and eventually the Norwegian Monarchies probably will. 

Oh I hadn't realised there were serious issues in the Belgian monarchy as well? 

2 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Oh I hadn't realised there were serious issues in the Belgian monarchy as well? 

Not the monarchy but the country of Belgium as a whole might split. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Facepalm 4

Come to think of it, how will this affect the popularity of the monarchy in Denmark as well? I got the impression that she was personally very popular, but is it the same story with Frederik or do we have a Liz v. Charles situation here? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Not the monarchy but the country of Belgium as a whole might split. 

I think Catalonia is more likely to split from Spain than Belgium splits in half, but neither is particularly likely. People like the idea of going it alone more than the reality. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sod's Law said:

I think Catalonia is more likely to split from Spain than Belgium splits in half, but neither is particularly likely. People like the idea of going it alone more than the reality. 

The Spanish monarchy is pretty much at a 50/50 keep or axe poll rating across Spain. No other European monarchy has so many domestic critics proportionally. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

The Spanish monarchy is pretty much at a 50/50 keep or axe poll rating across Spain. No other European monarchy has so many domestic critics proportionally. 

Spain becoming a republic would make Catalan independence even less likely. Hatred of the monarchy is something that unites almost all Catalan nationalists. I'm not really aware of the same kind of situation in Belgium with their monarchy though.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Get a better King and that'd melt away, IMO.

2 hours ago, Sod's Law said:

Come to think of it, how will this affect the popularity of the monarchy in Denmark as well? I got the impression that she was personally very popular, but is it the same story with Frederik or do we have a Liz v. Charles situation here? 

I don't pretend to know much about the situation but the bits I've seen and read tonight suggest that Frederick is very popular domestically too. Younger, with teenage children (18 and 16), the kids went to public school not private school, so are seen as much more normal. A quick glance at Frederick's wiki page suggests there have been rumours this year he's having an affair, but no more details than that beyond a name. Wonder if that will become bigger news in 2024 when Crown Prince Frederick is suddenly King Frederick X.

• Like 3

So just wanted to ask is she likely to die soon like 2025 do you think?

I'm all for having her on my future list but wonder how likely she is to be a committee pick?

34 minutes ago, Miranda lass said:

So just wanted to ask is she likely to die soon like 2025 do you think?

I'm all for having her on my future list but wonder how likely she is to be a committee pick?

Her mom, Ingrid, lived to 90 years old.

Margrethe is diffentely getting weaker due to old age, and she has been smoking all her life.

BUT, she seems fine in her new years speech tonight. She is stepping down because of the operation, but mostly due to Frederik being in his 50s and she want him to have a long reign. She said she would stay till her death, and probably realized that she is weaker, but could go on for many years. She wants to retire, she is not dying.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sod's Law said:

As a Dane, I can tell that 75% likes the monarchy and Margrethe is very popular. 

Henrik, on the other hand, was more like Charles, but it was never planned that he was going to be king, which he bitched about till his death.

Frederik is very popular. Much exposed in sports and military. Him and his family are the ideal family and popular. 

His brother, Joakim, on the other hand, has been divorced and involved in many scandals such as fighting in public and openly made criticism about the family.

The timing with Frederik is a bit odd though. He was spotted in Spain in november and rumors said he had an affair, but was not proven. It kind of dipped his popularity.

But overall, people are happy that Frederik is the new King, and he will probably follow his mothers foodsteps with ease.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RoverAndOut said:

I don't pretend to know much about the situation but the bits I've seen and read tonight suggest that Frederick is very popular domestically too. Younger, with teenage children (18 and 16), the kids went to public school not private school, so are seen as much more normal. A quick glance at Frederick's wiki page suggests there have been rumours this year he's having an affair, but no more details than that beyond a name. Wonder if that will become bigger news in 2024 when Crown Prince Frederick is suddenly King Frederick IX.

*Frederick X. Frederick IX was Margrethe's father.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, prussianblue said:

*Frederick X. Frederick IX was Margrethe's father.

Thanks. Edited - knew there was an X somewhere! :lol:

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Genfærd said:

As a Dane, I can tell that 75% likes the monarchy and Margrethe is very popular. 

Henrik, on the other hand, was more like Charles, but it was never planned that he was going to be king, which he bitched about till his death.

Frederik is very popular. Much exposed in sports and military. Him and his family are the ideal family and popular. 

His brother, Joakim, on the other hand, has been divorced and involved in many scandals such as fighting in public and openly made criticism about the family.

The timing with Frederik is a bit odd though. He was spotted in Spain in november and rumors said he had an affair, but was not proven. It kind of dipped his popularity.

But overall, people are happy that Frederik is the new King, and he will probably follow his mothers foodsteps with ease.

Joakim is the one who kicked up a storm because his kids were stripped of their titles, right? I'm guessing that trimming-down of the royal family went down very well with the Danish public (and would be something that Charles would be wise to explore in future)?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Sod's Law said:

Joakim is the one who kicked up a storm because his kids were stripped of their titles, right? I'm guessing that trimming-down of the royal family went down very well with the Danish public (and would be something that Charles would be wise to explore in future)?

Exactly. 

• Like 1

Personally i would like to see a few more working royals in the years ahead to replace the Kents and Gloucesters  when  they retire, reduce their workload or die.But people who have chosen to live abroad( and their offspring ) be publicly antagonistic towards the institution of monarchy should not have titles in my opinion.It makes no sense to have royal titles and live long term  in  America.

• Like 1

I think it would only be popular doing to Andrew, Harry and Meghan. Anyone else and I’m not sure it would generate a reaction.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genfærd said:

Exactly. 

And like Meghan they were racial issues through which I imagine caused some polarisation. In the Uk it absolutely would cause a big polarisation (Harry and Meghan are still popular among 20-25% of the population)  if it was only for them and not Andrew.
Charles also does not have the power to remove titles dukedom’s without a vote in Parliament and that would require a debate which would become a major story for no real benefit.

• Like 1