Bibliogryphon

By-Election Bingo

MP Jo Cox shot and stabbed.

Anyone?

SC

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-36550304

"Handmade" weapon, eh. If only every American with an assault rifle were reduced to those means

Dead according to breaking news on BBC, that's a curve ball we didn't see coming

• Like 1

YoungWillz has Geoffrey Cox MP... Oh so near...

• Like 1

I bet she didn't feature on many lists, although interacting with nutters once a week is a risky business, I remember the incident with the Samurai sword in Cheltenham a while back, although on that occasion the MP ran away and his assistant was killed

Not like me to get my Cox mixed up...cue Cat's gif selection...

• Like 3

Anyone?

SC

"Handmade" weapon, eh. If only every American with an assault rifle were reduced to those means

Just imagine. The reason this is so shocking is it's so rare. Absolute tragedy for her young family, so senseless. Think I'm pretty glad nobody's getting points for this one in all honesty.

• Like 3

Not like me to get my Cox mixed up...cue Cat's gif selection...

200.gif

• Like 6

Lesson here is we should all have loaded up on Cox.

SC

Anyone?

SC

Just imagine. The reason this is so shocking is it's so rare. Absolute tragedy for her young family, so senseless. Think I'm pretty glad nobody's getting points for this one in all honesty.

Just read her husband's statement and it has moved me to tears. This is so wrong.

• Like 5

Puts the EU nonsense into perspective.

For a day at least. Those fuckers will be back to pollute the airwaves with bile-infested verbal shite for another week, though

For a day at least. Those f***ers will be back to pollute the airwaves with bile-infested verbal shite for another week, though

I did wonder today what this all means for the EU referendum. Personally I'm all for putting it off. I know they won't, and it would cause political and economic turmoil but what's the alternative? Take the weekend to come to terms with the death of a colleague and then everyone back here bright and early Monday morning to spend a week kicking shit out of each other over stuff nobody understands anyway?

For a day at least. Those f***ers will be back to pollute the airwaves with bile-infested verbal shite for another week, though

I did wonder today what this all means for the EU referendum. Personally I'm all for putting it off. I know they won't, and it would cause political and economic turmoil but what's the alternative? Take the weekend to come to terms with the death of a colleague and then everyone back here bright and early Monday morning to spend a week kicking shit out of each other over stuff nobody understands anyway?

Given David Icke and other wackos are already running with her death being a fake designed to affect the result of the referendum by convincing more people to vote to remain - it'll be interesting to see if it does actually effect the polls.

Given David Icke and other wackos are already running with her death being a fake designed to affect the result of the referendum by convincing more people to vote to remain - it'll be interesting to see if it does actually effect the polls.

Aye, but in answer to R&O's question, he's basically about right. Drop off for enough time to make it look respectful and then back at each other's throats for the final sprint.

Aye, but in answer to R&O's question, he's basically about right. Drop off for enough time to make it look respectful and then back at each other's throats for the final sprint.

To be frank given what we know about previous politicians cover-ups and murders I'd only be a bit surprised, rather than astounded, if something along the lines of senior politicians orchestrating her murder came out in a few decades. It's rather coincidental that after 204 years, some-one other than the IRA decides to kill an MP the same week as the EU Referendum.

At the point we stopped "ripping shit" out of each other, my canvassing return was standing at 70% Vote Leave, 30% RemaIN. No doubt nutters like David Icke will have hold of the wrong end of the stick, but unfortunately I must say at least he has hold of the correct stick. Tensions all round have been rising. Yesterday's murder of Jo Cox very well could have been a consiquence of disperate party politics affecting people's minds. It could so eailly have been Boris Johnson, Nigel Farage or Michael Gove that were shot by a left wing nutter who saw the referendum as some sort of a right wing Tory take over or racist plot. I've read madness postings that point to Britain and Europe being targeted as some sort of Halibut take over plot in the medium term by EU free movement and higher birth rates. Both sides are to blame for the outcome yesterday. For the RemaIN side I must say lots of people have the opinion that lies are being told to the public. Cameron and Osborne are often called out as cases in point to me. They really need to shoulder some of that blame, and reflect on their utterances about the "Chicken Little" like statements about the sky falling in on everyone. No one likes lies and some people take real offence. Offence to the point of murder was always possible. I had forseen violence of the people in mass riot, after a result in favour of a RemaIN win due to them fixing it behind the scenes. By the sounds of it, nutters like Icke are already adding 2 and 2 together and getting 22. They see it as the precursor to explain away any result in favour of a RemaIN win as being a perfect cover story of a simple sympathy vote that has swung at least enough votes to land it without any further explanation necessarily required. And in some ways it very well could be. However that's very far fetched, but again to these people who take everything too personally and too literally, those in power just look at the bad news as being just too tasty to past over in the round.

All I can say is, it's very sad all round.

• Like 1

To be frank given what we know about previous politicians cover-ups and murders I'd only be a bit surprised, rather than astounded, if something along the lines of senior politicians orchestrating her murder came out in a few decades. It's rather coincidental that after 204 years, some-one other than the IRA decides to kill an MP the same week as the EU Referendum.

Dunno DR, I'm thinking nutter with a cause who'll be disowned by every Britain first goon capable of standing upright (so about half of them, then)

Overall the EU debate has shown the paucity of argument in British politics today. I want to stay in the EU but don't believe anything the Remain side have said about the consequences of leaving. Because there has never been a debate about what the UK wants from the EU Cameron is doing a desperate hanging on by his fingernails job but I really don't understand why he wants to stay other than retain the status quo. Blair and Brown both ducked the issue completely so have contributed to the problem. Because there isn't open date about issue like the EU and immigration, people get frustrated and it creates a space for lunatics to occupy. More arguing, less fighting!

Tories won't fight the by-election https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/live/2016/jun/17/jo-cox-death-police-labour-mp-latest-updates Some crumb of comfort I suppose.

UKIP won't either.

I think Britain First should put up a candidate who campaigns in the constituency with no security

• Like 2

At the point we stopped "ripping shit" out of each other, my canvassing return was standing at 70% Vote Leave, 30% RemaIN. No doubt nutters like David Icke will have hold of the wrong end of the stick, but unfortunately I must say at least he has hold of the correct stick. Tensions all round have been rising. Yesterday's murder of Jo Cox very well could have been a consiquence of disperate party politics affecting people's minds. It could so eailly have been Boris Johnson, Nigel Farage or Michael Gove that were shot by a left wing nutter who saw the referendum as some sort of a right wing Tory take over or racist plot. I've read madness postings that point to Britain and Europe being targeted as some sort of Halibut take over plot in the medium term by EU free movement and higher birth rates. Both sides are to blame for the outcome yesterday. For the RemaIN side I must say lots of people have the opinion that lies are being told to the public. Cameron and Osborne are often called out as cases in point to me. They really need to shoulder some of that blame, and reflect on their utterances about the "Chicken Little" like statements about the sky falling in on everyone. No one likes lies and some people take real offence. Offence to the point of murder was always possible. I had forseen violence of the people in mass riot, after a result in favour of a RemaIN win due to them fixing it behind the scenes. By the sounds of it, nutters like Icke are already adding 2 and 2 together and getting 22. They see it as the precursor to explain away any result in favour of a RemaIN win as being a perfect cover story of a simple sympathy vote that has swung at least enough votes to land it without any further explanation necessarily required. And in some ways it very well could be. However that's very far fetched, but again to these people who take everything too personally and too literally, those in power just look at the bad news as being just too tasty to past over in the round.

All I can say is, it's very sad all round.

Out of interest Ali where are you canvassing? Because unlike in Scotland, where the Independence referendum results were pretty uniform apart from a couple of nationalist pockets, I have a feeling this EU one could have wildly different results in different areas. It could swing back and forth.

As for the level of debate during this referendum, I couldn't agree more that it has been nothing short of disgraceful. To say at the start of this year everyone was sitting on the fence about whether they'd vote to stay or leave, they all suddenly seem terribly sure about the validity of their opinion. Cameron was up for possibly leaving but now it will cause World War Three. Boris was so unsure of his decision he supposedly wrote Op-Ed pieces for the following day's papers supporting both Remain and Leave so he was prepared regardless of what he decided that day. Suddenly the EU is akin to Hitler and the Third Reich. There is no way we should be having this referendum: I'm not even sure the politicians understand the full ins and outs of our relationship with Europe so god knows how the average voter is meant to understand it all. I was hoping, however, that if we were to have this referendum, at least it would serve the same purpose in England that the Independence referendum had in Scotland: that it would engage people in the political process; that it could encourage people to seek out informed arguments and discuss policy around the kitchen table. The benefits of immigration to the economy and our culture against the strain on public services and community cohesion; the question of whether entry to the single market was more important than absolute parliamentary sovereignty at Westminster; a discussion on the future of the EU and the positive impact our membership can have against a vision of an independent Britain and its relationship with the world. Instead what have we got? Uncontrolled immigration is ruining this country and a figure of how much we send to the EU that is, at best, wildly misleading and, at worst, a downright lie. From the other side, we have no acknowledgment of the impact of immigration, no counter argument to the 'country's gone to shit' brigade and suggestions of armageddon if we leave. Both sides started out with the realisation that their base arguments were their best arguments: that we would be poorer if we left and that ordinary people don't like/understand immigration, and as a result that's where the debate has been had: by hammering both arguments out to further and further extremes. Farage's poster yesterday was a bloody disgrace and played on the very fears people have that simply aren't true. Now my hope is that Jo's death will lead to a civilised final week of campaigning, but I think we all know that won't happen. It can't happen. The polls are too close for them to give an inch, they have to scare people into voting the way they want and the only way to do that is to talk up every possible doomsday scenario for their own argument.

What I will say is I think it's premature to say that there is blame attached to the campaigns for Jo's murder. My initial instinct was the same, and there's no doubt that the atmosphere has become incredibly toxic and it is quite incredible that we've got to within a week of the referendum without any significant civil unrest. But the fact remains that his motives are still a mystery, they're pursuing lines of enquiry (yes some include far right tendencies, but so far as I've seen nothing from this millennium) and it appears the shout of Britain First may have been somebody stirring up trouble that wasn't there. Also, her role in the campaign has hardly been significant. The are plenty more prominent Remainers and Brexiteers if he wanted to make a political statement. Yes, she took part in the flotilla war between Geldof and Farage the other day, but it's not as if she did anything there that made her newsworthy: the first time anybody knew about her was when her body was lying in the street covered in blood. Once more, we'll know better once the investigations are complete - almost certainly after Thursday. If it has an impact on the result, I think it will swing a few more undecideds towards staying rather than leaving, but how big a difference it makes will be one for the psephologists when all's said and done.

One final thought (and trying to bring this back towards the actual subject): when will the funeral be held? Presumably there will need to be some kind of post mortem, but my thinking was if the funeral was next week (when presumably many politicians will attend) then that further impacts on the referendum. I'm assuming the funeral would be the week after, but we return to the civility argument. It has definitely rocked Westminster in a way I've never seen before (I'm too young to remember the IRA blowing up politicians on a regular basis) and I genuinely think it's had a profound effect on a lot of them. The reaction of the Labour team has been incredible: they are genuinely heartbroken and all the suggestions from prominent media figures on the BBC, etc. is that this was something they all feared would happen sooner or later, and sadly it seems to have happened to one of the best of them. I just can't see the detente lasting the week: the stakes are too high. But the fact that I say that - and so many others say that - is a damning indictment on our current political situation.

• Like 2

To be fair two posts above the IRA blew up a few politicians - Ian Gow, Airey Neave and the Brighton bombing being their main hits on the "mainland" - but regular is probably an overstatement. Frankie Boyles live tween during Thatcher's funeral that the guest list for the event was a damning indictment of the operation inefficiency of the IRA had a ring of truth about it.

Of course, they took out plenty local politicos on their own turf

Point taken Maryport but I guess I meant it was always a possibility with the IRA. Some of their attacks - particularly Brighton - were audacious and shocking but we knew what we were dealing with. There was also the mortar attack on Downing Street of course. And when I said regular, I guess I was more thinking of the bombings - Enniskillen, Omagh, Manchester, Warrington, etc. and including those in my thoughts too. But yeah, as a politician in the 70s and 80s, especially if you were dealing with Northern Ireland or had close links with the PM, you knew you were potentially in the crosshairs.

I think the idea of a lone nutter coming up to an MP on the street and stabbing and/or shooting them has always seemed a step too far for contemplation. This has shattered that belief.