Deathray

At What Age Should One Retire?

Whilst I have about 50 years to ponder this one - assuming i live that long, excepting a windfall and allowing for a slight upping in the retirement age - I'm intereted in what deathlisters consider the optimum age for retirement?

Until you are dead

Life's too short to worry about / look forward to retirement. One trick I try to pull every couple of years is to take about 3 months off in between contracting jobs. Nice kick-back time. Loose the stress and work round to getting an even better role next time rather than just getting the next duff dead end job.

Life's too short to worry about / look forward to retirement. One trick I try to pull every couple of years is to take about 3 months off in between contracting jobs. Nice kick-back time. Loose the stress and work round to getting an even better role next time rather than just getting the next duff dead end job.

Alright if you can afford the 3 months off...

I suppose for some people, retirement is worse than working.

I think I'd die of boredom when I retire. If I take a week off work, by day 3 I'm bored shitless. I'll probably retire at 66. Years away. Love my job, sometimes hate my 'customers'.

After my change of career this year I had hoped to retire at 48, with zero £££ :)

Season is over, doing hee haw just now but not signing on either.

Don't play "The Game" if you don't want too.

I retired in April using the new pension rules to access my funds, I'm 55 :)

I never enjoyed working and now that I don't have to, life is good.

Whilst I have about 50 years to ponder this one - assuming i live that long, excepting a windfall and allowing for a slight upping in the retirement age - I'm intereted in what deathlisters consider the optimum age for retirement?

It doesn't matter what we think, if you're as young as you claim you'll still be working in 50 years, and paying out to live in a shitty hovel in an overcrowded city that stinks of pollution. Cos your mum and dad and their parents pissed your future away.

The dead pooling will still be as good in the future though, enjoy!

It doesn't matter what we think, if you're as young as you claim you'll still be working in 50 years, and paying out to live in a shitty hovel in an overcrowded city that stinks of pollution. Cos your mum and dad and their parents pissed your future away.

Whaaaaaaaat? That's a bit much isn't it?

Are you still mad about Attlee not pursuing a cold war pact with Stalin or something?

• Like 1

Whaaaaaaaat? That's a bit much isn't it?

Are you still mad about Attlee not pursuing a cold war pact with Stalin or something?

Mad about nowt, just tellin' it the way it is and staying true to the one-liner nestling at the bottom of my posts, or summat.

I wouldn't force anybody to retire unless the person wants to. But one should have a right to retire if one wishes after, say, 40 years of work.

I wouldn't force anybody to retire unless the person wants to. But one should have a right to retire if one wishes after, say, 40 years of work.

Aye, sensible, I'd say the future for many is part pensionable retirement, part portfolio working.

Depends on the person, the job, and circumstances, really.

If you love what you're doing for work and want to continue, do so. If you'd rather do something else, retire while you are young and healthy enough to do what you want. This is assuming you started putting away small amounts of capital while you were young and have enough to live on, of course.

I will be able to claim my pension from my first employer when I reach the age of 50. Unfortunately it will not be enough to retire on but it will be a nice holiday's worth each year.

I will be 46 this month.

If you love what you're doing for work and want to continue, do so. If you'd rather do something else, retire while you are young and healthy enough to do what you want. This is assuming you started putting away small amounts of capital while you were young and have enough to live on, of course.

This - or even have 2 years off prior to 50 and then go back to work again - at least then you enjoy your money before shit happens. And the shit might not just be to you but also to one of your loved ones eg your wife and that might fuck up all your plans too. And if you can't get a job again - well the State might look after you for a bit...

This - or even have 2 years off prior to 50 and then go back to work again - at least then you enjoy your money before shit happens. And the shit might not just be to you but also to one of your loved ones eg your wife and that might fuck up all your plans too. And if you can't get a job again - well the State might look after you for a bit...

Like a lot of things in life, retirement planning should follow a "happy medium". Some people put off having fun "until I retire" and save all their money for that and usually die shortly before or after the happy date. Others put absolutely nothing away and blow all their money and then find it difficult or impossible to retire. We (my wife and I) had fun all during our lives with vacations and doing things we liked but we found a little to save and now we are enjoying ourselves without needing to work.

• Like 1

When my daughter, now 4, can financially support her aging daddy, now 52. Looks like I'll die on the job.

SC

Personally if i never had to work another day in my life it would be too soon as i hate everything about work, the dread of the upcoming day before the shift starts, the stress, being overworked, underpaid, dealing with managers who know next to nothing but think there god's gift, being unable to do the things in life you want to do the list is endless. The thought of having to work for another 38 years as i can retire on my 68th Birthday terrifies me but i need the money like everyone else so will continue working, for me there is so much more to life than working all or most of it. Overall though i think people should be allowed to retire once they have worked 40 years as none of us live forever and we all want to do things outside of work before it's too late as i often say to my mates when you are on your death bed you are not going to say 'I wish i worked more' but you might wish you had done other things you never got round to doing . On the flip side though if people are past retirement age and want to continue as they enjoy it, let them.

I quite like the idea of being granted retirement after 40 years employment but how would this be measured. 40 years FTE or 40 years mixed between part time and full time?

I always fancied it the other way around.

Ie leave school at 16, straight onto a pension which you get till your 30. Go and booze/hoor your way through the World.

At 30 it stops, and you have to work till they tramp down the sod. Nobody over 30 gets any benefits whatsoever.

Ie leave school at 16, straight onto a pension which you get till your 30. Go and booze/hoor your way through the World.

At 30 it stops, and you have to work till they tramp down the sod. Nobody over 30 gets any benefits whatsoever.

Or if you're Deathray, spend it on airfix models of The Crucible Theatre.

(sorry deathers I'm just kiddin)

• Like 1

Ie leave school at 16, straight onto a pension whiėch you get till your 30. Go and booze/hoor your way through the World.

Could you imagine the game of russian roullete at joint 30th birthday parties?

Part of the charm...

Bit unfair to blame them... the wars and that. Anyway - your life is what you make it and your responsible for what happens in it most of the time, so blaming people who aren't around to defend themselves for something they did several decades ago isn't really on.

Not even to alleviate youth unemployment. Say 80% of over 80s were in employment whilst 20% of under 21s were in employment, would it not make sense to start telling the 80 year olds to retire.

Or if you're Deathray, spend it on airfix models of The Crucible Theatre.

(sorry deathers I'm just kiddin)

That would lie half-done on the shelf for eternity because airfix models are insanely diffucult.