maryportfuncity

Authors Last A Long Time, But....

I was absolutely gutted to discover one of my favourite authors, Kage Baker, died 4 months ago. Not because I would have had her on a deadpool, I wouldn't, and I doubt she was famous enough to get an obit, but because her books have brought me so much pleasure and there won't be any more. I was googling to find out what her next project would be and discovered she'd died :flame2: . I'm not hugely keen on sci fi, too technical for me in the most part, but she bridged the gap between fantasy and sci fi and brought it to life. Sheri S. Tepper does a similar thing, I love her books too, especially The Family Tree, it has a real twist half way through, takes you completely by surprise. Anyway sad to say Kage has passed on and there will be no more new 'Company' novels. Sheri is about 80 though and sure to get an obit for you deadpoolers that are interested.

• Like 1

Dutch author Jan Blokker has died at 83. A death notice in Dutch can be found here.

regards,

Hein

Cécile Aubry

The French actress turned author, who wrote the popular 60's TV series "Belle and Sebastian" has died aged 81. As an actress, she had a major role starring alongside Tyrone Power and Orson Welles in Henry Hathaway's 1950 feature "The Black Rose"

Cécile Aubry

The French actress turned author, who wrote the popular 60's TV series "Belle and Sebastian" has died aged 81. As an actress, she had a major role starring alongside Tyrone Power and Orson Welles in Henry Hathaway's 1950 feature "The Black Rose"

Fuck, fuck and double fuck. With an extra layer of fuck. I had on on my list, pondered on whether to have her in for 2010 or maybe wait as she was

(relatively) young. So I had her up my sleeve...

;)

Climbing writer Jim Perrin. Review makes it clear that the twist in his latest book, West, is that after nursing his girlfriend through terminal illness, he also got a diagnosis of cancer and was 'given a short time to live.' Likely The Guardian - at least - would reward dead poolers with an obit if the disease did for Perrin in 2011.

Literary critic Frank Kermode critisises no more (No, I haven't heard of him either)

He was shit.

Literary critic Frank Kermode critisises no more (No, I haven't heard of him either)
He was shit.

Let me guess: that's what he wrote about the books he criticised.

regards,

Hein

He was shit.

Let me guess: that's what he wrote about the books he criticised.

regards,

Hein

I clicked on one of the links attached to that page and saw this. Surely a work of fiction Frank would have enjoyed.

Another one for the list of "100-year-old-plus figures of minor note that somehow slipped the deadpool radar": writer Elizabeth Jenkins, who presumably would have the last living member of the Bloomsbury Group, dead at 104.

Heard recently that Paul Harrison has died, aged 54. Not exactly a household name but worth commemorating here. Author of Jack the Ripper - The Final Solution, an Encylopeadia on the Loch Ness Monster. Oh yeah, and three books on Carlisle United. Top bloke, I still owe him a pint.

According to his online archive 'Manny' Fried is still alive, b. 1913.

US obit highly possible since he's written the kind of stuff that influences others and been a key figure in US centric areas, like the nonfiction novel. UK obit chances negligable IMHO.

Tom Lubbock's memoir on the brain tumour that is killing him is raising his profile. Obit in leftie broadsheets/ BBC Radio Four a near-certainty.

Those thoughtful people at the Costa Book Awards have raised the profile of the little known poet Roy Fisher, who is already an otagenarian. Obit-worthy if he wins, so may be worth keeping tabs on.

Hans Keilson about to become an overnight sensation with his second book, and conveniently aged 101.

Clive - Stig of the Dump - King b. 1924, still breathing, just thought I'd add him to the collection discussed hereabouts.

And whilst we're talking of that generation of writers for kids, William - kiddie fiddler - Mayne pegged out in March. I think we missed it at the time.

According to trends on Twitter, Dick King-Smith, author of "The Sheep-Pig" (adapted into the movie "Babe"), has died at 88.

According to trends on Twitter, Dick King-Smith, author of "The Sheep-Pig" (adapted into the movie "Babe"), has died at 88.

Confirmed (and in the main thread too)

• Like 1