Spade_Cooley

Deadpool Detective Work

This report of David Edwards describes him as an unhealthy man. Such a man can't live a long life.

According to Edwards, Doyle was a red-eyed alcoholic, was drunk all the time and had two or three gold teeth. No photos of Doyle are known. His nickname, Little Buddy, was likely due to his diminutive stature; according to Edwards, Doyle "was a midget. His legs was so short that when he sat on the bench to play the guitar he couldn´t pat his feet. He had to just bump against the seat, his feet would be that far off the ground. He´d get to playing the blues and just bump, bump, bump."

• Like 1

Maybe find the marriage certificate. I'm betting his marriage and death cert are both in Memphis or that county in Tennessee. If he was born in Forrest City AR that's like 30 miles from Memphis, his whole life revolved in that area. Perhaps he went back to Forrest City but I wouldn't look beyond those two counties for marriage/death records.

SC

Have you looked on http://www.findagrave.com ?

So I looked up findagrave and there's a record of a Charles Doyle born 1911 died 1967 buried in Perryville Cemetery, Decatur County, TN. Interestingly, just along the road from Bolivar in Hardeman County. http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=doyle&GSby=1911&GSbyrel=in&GSdyrel=all&GSst=45&GScntry=4&GSob=n&GRid=39650526&df=all&

Well, well, well...might this be our man? Given there seems to have been incarcerations of the insane and criminals at the hospital in Bolivar, might his grave have been relocated from the hospital cemetery later in the 1960s? All is speculation, but I think we are damn close.

So I looked up findagrave and there's a record of a Charles Doyle born 1911 died 1967 buried in Perryville Cemetery, Decatur County, TN. Interestingly, just along the road from Bolivar in Hardeman County. http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=doyle&GSby=1911&GSbyrel=in&GSdyrel=all&GSst=45&GScntry=4&GSob=n&GRid=39650526&df=all&

Well, well, well...might this be our man? Given there seems to have been incarcerations of the insane and criminals at the hospital in Bolivar, might his grave have been relocated from the hospital cemetery later in the 1960s? All is speculation, but I think we are damn close.

Shelby County Registry of Deeds says the Charles Doyle who died in 1967 was white.

Shelby County Registry of Deeds says the Charles Doyle who died in 1967 was white.

Ok...can't see that via the link. Maybe therefore our Charles Doyle lies at the Hospital cemetery perhaps in an unmarked grave?

Thing is, the chap was described by Larry Cohn (an archivist) as someone who "scratched out a living as a street singer" ie a busker. He was probably born in 1911, unless he made that up, and he died at some point. Oh, and he might have been married to a Hedda, but that might not be her last name. Now, he didn't show up in the 1940 census, but then, I didn't expect him to. He also lacks a Tennessee wedding certificate. It backs up a theory that "scratched out a living as a street singer" also means "person of no fixed abode", in a manner of speaking. Which, if true, means there might not be a death certificate. Doubly so if he died in the Bolivar.

Mind you, I am reminded of my great-grandfather. I know he was born, because duh, but the church some of his early records were held in was demolished by Glasgow council a number of years ago, and the records have gone missing. (You don't think they forgot to move them before the bulldozers arrived, surely...) My point being that a lot of these records disappear over time, especially for folk without family or importance to chance them up, so if people with the money to chase down the records have come back blank...

Findagrave may not help for someone scratching out a living cuz whoever his kin were prolly didn't pony up $ for a headstone, I've a handful in my research like this, friggin Irish immigrants lol.

SC

Does anyone have access to Texas death records? If so, can they confirm my suspicion that the top entry here, the guy who died in Smith County in 1998, is 1930s Beale Street blues musician Little Buddy Doyle?

wpdUEdk.png

https://open.spotify.com/track/50JSLnIOsoCiXEQvpdpqD3

Wikipedia has a date of birth but no date of death (he'd be 105 if he was still around) and no photos of him were ever taken.

Check again... He died in 1960 according to that article

Findagrave may not help for someone scratching out a living cuz whoever his kin were prolly didn't pony up $ for a headstone, I've a handful in my research like this, friggin Irish immigrants lol.

SC

True, but I think they also record people without tangible memorials, if they're notable in some way.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=7731094

Now this turns something up. This site, by a German blues buff, also lists the Bolivar 1960 death date. More specifically, it lists him as dying in "Western State Hospital", backing up discoveries upthread.

Western State Hospital was a mental asylum, populated mainly by the poorest in Tennessee. Alcoholics were often committed to these asylums. The property also has two graveyards containing, and I quote, "hundreds of interments of patients whose remains were not claimed by family members". If he was blind and an alcoholic, it's safe to assume he didn't procreate, and if "Hedda" died before him that would probably mean there was nobody to inform about his passing.

Two questions though:

a) If you were committed to an asylum back then, would you have shown up on census forms?

B) Is it possible he was in WSH for a lengthy period of time, explaining why he seemingly fell out of blues history?

Now this turns something up. This site, by a German blues buff, also lists the Bolivar 1960 death date. More specifically, it lists him as dying in "Western State Hospital", backing up discoveries upthread.

Western State Hospital was a mental asylum, populated mainly by the poorest in Tennessee. Alcoholics were often committed to these asylums. The property also has two graveyards containing, and I quote, "hundreds of interments of patients whose remains were not claimed by family members". If he was blind and an alcoholic, it's safe to assume he didn't procreate, and if "Hedda" died before him that would probably mean there was nobody to inform about his passing.

Two questions though:

a) If you were committed to an asylum back then, would you have shown up on census forms?

B) Is it possible he was in WSH for a lengthy period of time, explaining why he seemingly fell out of blues history?

A) A qualified YES; those committed 'should' appear in the Census data at the address in question. Again, I've come across such a person once. But there's no guarantees are there?

B) Again as I indicated it appears his entire life was inside of a 100 mile diameter circle, there's zero reason to believe he left the area to travel 900 miles all penniless and shit.

SC

Further, my GG-grandfather was committed in Vancouver area, and the hospital is no more. He was very likely 'buried out back' as they did in 1900 when the interred died. Mass grave kinda deal. Zero headstones or memorials. And he was the man who gave all the land for the first school in Kelowna, BC and was in the school board and a civic leader, and that was his treatment; imagine being a penniless musician with no contacts. I presume searching for a gravesite is a dead end no pun intended.

SC

Monty Lister is another one I wonder about. His 35 years at Radio Merseyside would have got a local obit at least which leads me to believe he's still alive but I've no proof of that either.

I know they're not household names but they're important to me in different ways

A bit late, Handrejka, but from April this year: an interview with your man, Monty Lister. Apparently he turns 90 sometime this year.

• Like 1

I've seen continuing reports that Sally Sweetland is dead, but cannot find anything recent, and no reliable links. Any takers for a hunt down?

Ok, I've written this before. I don't know if actor John Bartha (b. 1920) is alive or dead. He played the sheriff in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly and had roles in many other Italian western/epic/comedy b-movies. His last known appearance was in Cannibal Ferox (1981). He was born in Budapest and played as a professional footballer during his youth. After the end of his marriage with Erzsi Paal (1920-1973), he remarried an American actress and went to America to live in a trailer. This happened after 1981. No news of him since.

His real name is Janos Bartha. Some years ago I was wondering about Enzo Petito, who was in the cast of TGTBATU as well and was said to be a centenarian, and it turned out he died in 1967.

These two together seem to indicate that she died early 2015, possibly early February.

https://www.facebook.com/bill.reed3/posts/10153695302218298

https://www.facebook.com/revgaby/posts/10204970563156671

Nothing in her local newspaper though, even though they reported on her 103rd birthday.

Yep, there's nothing in the California death records or the Social Security Index though. I have no idea what her maiden name was though, that may be what she's under, or it could be a rumour that is unfounded (original source is normally reliable).

These two together seem to indicate that she died early 2015, possibly early February.

https://www.facebook.com/bill.reed3/posts/10153695302218298

https://www.facebook.com/revgaby/posts/10204970563156671

Nothing in her local newspaper though, even though they reported on her 103rd birthday.

Yep, there's nothing in the California death records or the Social Security Index though. I have no idea what her maiden name was though, that may be what she's under, or it could be a rumour that is unfounded (original source is normally reliable).

Her maiden name was Mueller. I Googled "Sally Sweetland nee" and it came up.

• Like 1

Can anyone find out whether or not the one-time actress Nathalie Pascaud (Jacqueline Schillio) is still alive and what her date of birth may be? She is the great mystery of our foreign actors/actresses list!

Dead ends everywhere I've looked for Nathalie/Jacqueline.

Maybe she remarried? You'd have thought there was something from the diehard Hulot fans, but they seem at a loss too.

• Like 1

Ok, I've written this before. I don't know if actor John Bartha (b. 1920) is alive or dead. He played the sheriff in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly and had roles in many other Italian western/epic/comedy b-movies. His last known appearance was in Cannibal Ferox (1981). He was born in Budapest and played as a professional footballer during his youth. After the end of his marriage with Erzsi Paal (1920-1973), he remarried an American actress and went to America to live in a trailer. This happened after 1981. No news of him since.

His real name is Janos Bartha. Some years ago I was wondering about Enzo Petito, who was in the cast of TGTBATU as well and was said to be a centenarian, and it turned out he died in 1967.

Can't find him on BootHill, but it is a good resource...

http://westernboothill.blogspot.co.uk/?m=0

Anyone know if Robert Lee (MInd Your Language, Chinese Detecive etc) is still alive.

He'd be 102 now if he is. He's listed as alive on wiki but then so was Patricia Laffan.

Anyone know if Robert Lee (MInd Your Language, Chinese Detecive etc) is still alive.

He'd be 102 now if he is. He's listed as alive on wiki but then so was Patricia Laffan.

And Sally Sweetland :angry:

I don't know, but he was alive as of 2010, and had allegedly retired to Hampstead. Which gives folk with the ability the opportunity to search the BMDs.

I had often wondered about Pat Arrowsmith, as people have a habit of referring to her in the past tense on social media, but apparently she showed up at an anti-Trident march thing in Aldermaston (!) this June.

• Like 1