Weebl

Close To The End

A few things to say here...

Palmer must be bricking it.

Having met him personally and seen him in concert twice, once with his own band and once with Asia, I can tell you that Carl Palmer is a very fit man for his age. I fully expect him to see the 2030s.

Weebl picked the wrong former king crimson member...

If only I'd known that Lake was ill, I'd have been talking about him as well as talking about Wetton. But that's what makes all the difference - if we deadpoolers know that a person is ill, then we can make reasonable predictions. But if they keep it quiet, we're usually none the wiser unless someone makes some very educated guesswork. Do you think if people knew how ill David Bowie was last December, he'd have been left off the 2016 list?

Lake and Wetton are really very very similar guys in so many ways.

Fair play to Greg Lake, mind; ended all debates about whether this thread is too focussed on John Wetton. If these things do come in threes then Palmer may well be spared because the other P who made one album with them (Cozy Powell) was worm food years ago

Palmer is safe. He's a fit and healthy man. I am confident he'll be around for many years yet.

Actually, I had long suspected that Greg Lake might be on the way out sometime. I did know that he was a fat guy in his later years, much like what Wetton was before all the weight dropped off him.

This will sound like Armchair Quarterback/Drunk Man in Pub talk, but genuinely if I'd seen the Blackstar music video before I'd put my DDP team in last Hogmanay, Bowie would have been on my team. We watched the BBC Memorial video later that night and it's got Steve Strange being in the Ashes to Ashes video. My wife's said "Fuck, I thought they were going to add Bowie, he looks hellish in that video."

The lesson here is always listen to the better half's deadpool tips. I'm ignoring her Yoko Ono suggestion for 2017 too...

• Like 3

I find it funny that Sir Creep thinks that The Piper at the Gates of Dawn thread is a progressive rock thread, but when you read the names of the original poll, none of them are actually progressive rock!!!!

• Like 1

Ironic he died so close to Christmas like Kirsty MacColl.

What's ironic about it?

• Like 1

What's ironic about it?

Isn't it ironic?

It's like prog rock - in a psychedelia thread!

• Like 1

What's ironic about it?

Presumably that they both released well known Christmas songs. Although 7th December isn't really that close to Christmas anyway.

What's ironic about it?

Presumably that they both released well known Christmas songs. Although 7th December isn't really that close to Christmas anyway.

Lots of people have released Christmas songs.

What's ironic about it?

But most of them haven't died in December.

What's ironic about it?

It's a coincidence, there's no irony.

Dean Martin, James Brown, Eartha Kitt, and George Michael all released Christmas songs, and died on Christmas Day.

What's ironic about it?

Dean Martin, James Brown, Eartha Kitt, and George Michael all released Christmas songs, and died on Christmas Day.

Nearly every artist releases a Christmas song. I fail to see the thread are coincidence.

SC

What's ironic about it?

There you are then! It's quite clearly a dangerous pursuit. They all taunted the ghost of Christmas-yet-to-come. :ghost3:

It'd be ironic if someone released a song called I Don't Wanna Die on Christmas Day, then died on that day. Well, I say ironic, I mean funny.

It'd be ironic if someone released a song called I Don't Wanna Die on Christmas Day, then died on that day. Well, I say ironic, I mean funny.

Yes that would be comedic irony

Had completely ignored the Wetton talk as that of less-experienced deadpoolers around these parts, until I looked at his Twitter page on Xmas day:

C0hez6JXcAQkPPr.jpg

Reminiscent of Henry Cecil in his final months.

• Like 1

Had completely ignored the Wetton talk as that of less-experienced deadpoolers around these parts, until I looked at his Twitter page on Xmas day:

Reminiscent of Henry Cecil in his final months.

The wedding, and the photo that went with it, were also massive red flags.

• Like 1

I may only have joined this forum officially in 2015, but actually I have been looking at this site on-off since late 2006, and I was a member on this board in 2007. That's ten years ago don't you know!

Anyway, regarding Wetton...

I heard an album by the project Blue Rose Code today, and was stunned to learn that the main man behind that project is a friend of Wetton and he plays on the album. Even if you compare pics of Wetton from earlier last year, he looks relatively healthy back then.

Wetton, May 2016:

Cga_GPPDXIAAIRpp_jpg_large.jpg

Wetton and his wife, Nov 2016:

Cyh_XMi_RXc_AAog_W9_jpg_large.jpg

Wetton and his wife, Dec 2016:

C0hez6_JXc_AQk_PPr_jpg_large.jpg

The decline in his physical health is visible. Although he may plan to play some gigs in 2017, he is clearly quite seriously ill and will struggle to survive the year IMHO. Definitely should have been picked for the 2017 list.

More news regarding John Wetton ...

John Wetton today released a statement announcing he is withdrawing from Asia’s tour and from Cruise To The Edge both scheduled for later this year in order to undergo more treatment for his cancer.

A PERSONAL STATEMENT FROM ASIA’s JOHN WETTON

I am disappointed to announce that, on the advice of my medical team, I have to withdraw from Cruise to the Edge, and from the first leg of the Journey tour, March 15 – April 4.
I will soon be starting a new medical chemotherapy procedure, under which I will not be able to fly.

I am grateful to the promoters of the cruise. I wish them pleasant sailing and I know my friends on the cruise, both artists and fans, will have a ball on the ocean wave, I will be with you all in spirit.

My good friend Billy Sherwood will fill in for me within Asia, keeping my seat warm during the initial 12 Journey dates. While I am naturally disappointed to miss the beginning of what I know will be an historic ASIA tour, I am intending to return to the stage with Asia later in 2017, dates soon to be announced. I know this decision will be in the best interests of my health and our fans, in the long run.

John Wetton

Bournemouth

England

January 11th. 2017

https://www.dgmlive.com/news/john%20continues%20treatment

Not at all surprising. I'd have been more surprised if he could have done the tour at all given how ill he is.

The last time Billy Sherwood filled in for someone on tour, that someone - Chris Squire - was dead within a short while from cancer.

If we lose Wetton this year, which I think is likely, then prog rock will have lost three of its best bassists - Squire, Lake and Wetton - within the space of less than three years. And of course King Crimson, who are preparing to embark on a tour of the USA in 2017, will have lost their two most important vocalists in their classic original period.

That being said, Wetton still seems optimistic. He seems to think he'll be able to tour again later in the year - possibly in the UK if he's not able to fly. But I'll believe that when I see it...

Sometimes, being optimistic can be a very positive thing, like clinging on to the last bit of hope that things will improve. But far too often, and I say this as a pessimist by personality, being optimistic is just not being realistic.

• Like 1

I think many of us on here selected Wetton for the DDP because he looked very ill in his Christmas Picture. Including some top contenders!!! Now I'm not saying that the wedding wasn't a warning sign, cause I put him on my team at that moment, but it was the Christmas photo that confirmed it. I don't know when he's going to die to be honest (could be an early or late hit), but he's probably going to be a decisive hit in order to decide who would win the DDP.

I think he deserves his own thread. I'm not going to make it, but if someone could, that probably would be a great thing so we have a place to just track on Wetton's health. Plus, he's famous enough for deathlist in the unlikely event he makes it to 2018.

• Like 1

You first mentioned Wetton's cancer was metastatic shortly after Squire died, no, Weebl? So, glass half full prognosis might suggest that, even though terminal, him having such an optimist oulook might have given him a few extra months to get married, etc, in.

• Like 1

I think many of us on here selected Wetton for the DDP because he looked very ill in his Christmas Picture. Including some top contenders!!! Now I'm not saying that the wedding wasn't a warning sign, cause I put him on my team at that moment, but it was the Christmas photo that confirmed it. I don't know when he's going to die to be honest (could be an early or late hit), but he's probably going to be a decisive hit in order to decide who would win the DDP.

I think he deserves his own thread. I'm not going to make it, but if someone could, that probably would be a great thing so we have a place to just track on Wetton's health. Plus, he's famous enough for deathlist in the unlikely event he makes it to 2018.

Yeah I'd give him a 25% chance at this stage of seeing 2018, realistically. Which means he should really have been on this year's list, but the committee often leave out many obvious picks (Soares, Hollingworth for two) so they thought nothing of leaving out Wetton as well.

Is there much point in creating a new thread? Certain forum users (of course I'm not looking at anyone in particular here, yeah right) are always complaining about how this thread is redundant because of the Pink Floyd / psychedelia one.

You first mentioned Wetton's cancer was metastatic shortly after Squire died, no, Weebl? So, glass half full prognosis might suggest that, even though terminal, him having such an optimist oulook might have given him a few extra months to get married, etc, in.

Squire died in summer 2015, and yes Wetton first announced he had cancer in spring 2015, thought he'd beaten it, then it came back and metastasized later in 2015. But it's worth noting that metastatic cancer and terminal cancer are not one and the same. Wetton has never stated that his cancer is terminal, and has always said that he hopes to make a full recovery. So we just don't know, but he does look pretty ill and weak although it's possible that the sepsis has made him look more ill than he would appear if it were just cancer alone he had been suffering from.

Either way, things don't look good for him.

Good point, well made, and exclamation point by numerous would be DDP picks in the past no doubt!

• Like 1

Jaki Liebezeit (possibly German for "love time", appropriate for a highly skilled drummer) of influential krautrock group Can, dies aged 78:

http://pitchfork.com/news/71067-can-drummer-jaki-liebezeit-dead-at-78/

I didn't realise there was going to be a partial reunion of Can this year - but apparently maybe not now! Sad stuff...

http://pitchfork.com/news/69749-can-members-reunite-for-50-year-anniversary-show/

So out of the "core four" of Can, with Karoli and Liebezeit gone, only Czukay and Schmidt remain!

And Schmidt was quite a fat guy who was always seen smoking cigarettes in his younger days and he's nearly 80 now so he's done well to hang on for as long as he has...

Liebezeit, Czukay and Schmidt were a good bit older than typical 1970s musicians, though.

And Damo Suzuki was ill a while ago, from what I'd heard. Malcolm Mooney seems to be doing alright by the sounds of things.