Weebl

Close To The End

Speaking of proggers and the like writing beautiful music; I'm sure I've bored the assembled masses hereabouts before but...

That gorgeous little piano melody that leads to the joke about 'Lick my Love Pump' in the Spinal Tap movie; that was written by Jon Lord.

He actually wrote all the music for the TV adaptation of A Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady.

• Like 1

Older news I happened upon. Having lost Squire I don't think I could live if Rick Wakeman died anytime soon.

But tour dates were cancelled and he mentions an illness around Easter 'we should all be aware of'. Well dammit I'm unaware of it. Anyone have a clue? Apparently it's a lingering issue.

SC

http://www.hollywood.com/general/rick-wakeman-postpones-tour-dates-over-health-issues-60400094/

He has had heart problems since the 1970s when he had three heart attacks. He also, I believe, has arthritis, but I'd guess the former is more likely to be an ongoing issue for him. As he refers here to blood pressure issues, that would suggest the right track here.

He continues to pack pork despite the history of heart trouble. He might want to think about cutting down a bit there. Seriously really like the guy - having met him a couple of times - truly genial type not greatly enamoured with his own celebrity; I'd really miss him too.

That is sad news. I like Rick Wakeman. I admit I really have to be in the right frame of mind to listen to "Yes" but I do like his solo stuff.

Older news I happened upon. Having lost Squire I don't think I could live if Rick Wakeman died anytime soon.

But tour dates were cancelled and he mentions an illness around Easter 'we should all be aware of'. Well dammit I'm unaware of it. Anyone have a clue? Apparently it's a lingering issue.

SC

http://www.hollywood.com/general/rick-wakeman-postpones-tour-dates-over-health-issues-60400094/

He has had heart problems since the 1970s when he had three heart attacks. He also, I believe, has arthritis, but I'd guess the former is more likely to be an ongoing issue for him. As he refers here to blood pressure issues, that would suggest the right track here.

He continues to pack pork despite the history of heart trouble. He might want to think about cutting down a bit there. Seriously really like the guy - having met him a couple of times - truly genial type not greatly enamoured with his own celebrity; I'd really miss him too.

That is sad news. I like Rick Wakeman. I admit I really have to be in the right frame of mind to listen to "Yes" but I do like his solo stuff.

A lot of people who don't like prog rock still like (as in feel a personal affection for) Rick Wakeman. Apart from anything else his treasure trove of stories from the music business - like the time he had a curry delivered to the stage and ate it during everyone else's solo spots on a Yes tour - is awesome.

SC

A lot of people who don't like prog rock still like (as in feel a personal affection for) Rick Wakeman. Apart from anything else his treasure trove of stories from the music business - like the time he had a curry delivered to the stage and ate it during everyone else's solo spots on a Yes tour - is awesome.

I don't mind prog rock, I just really have to be in the right frame of mind to listen to a 10 minute drum solo followed by an equally long bass solo.

Well he would have had time to eat the curry. I've only had the pleasure to meet him the once. He has a great sense of humour. The last time I ever played any "Yes" tracks and I didn't really listen to them at the time, was just so I could get value for my money on the juke box in the pub. I have a few of their albums that I've picked up over the years. I try to rotate through my records as much as possible, just last week I put Rick Wakeman's Criminal Record on the turntable. I found that in a 2nd hand record store in Rupert Street, London when I lived in that area at the turn of the 90s.

Why is this moved here? The thread I posted in was our PROG Rock thread and some newbie rolled in and created this for no reason. I refuse to acknowledge its existence and I posted in the Next Piper at the Gates thread which was correct. Why this thread hasn't been deleted is anyone's guess so please don't post my crap here.

SC

Why is this moved here? The thread I posted in was our PROG Rock thread and some newbie rolled in and created this for no reason. I refuse to acknowledge its existence and I posted in the Next Piper at the Gates thread which was correct. Why this thread hasn't been deleted is anyone's guess so please don't post my crap here.

SC

I think this is more suited for Prog Rock, the other thread would be more atuned for Psychedelia.

John Wetton still undergoing chemo, 8th round, according to Twitter... good luck to him, he'll need good luck to survive the year IMHO

JWtwitter.jpg

Had meant to check Damo Suzuki's blog again, as this time last year he was ill in hospital but the most recent update on there is, strangely enough, about the death of Lemmy. Nothing about Damo's health but he didn't look good the last time there was news...

http://www.damosuzuki.com/

I thought we fucked off this thread. We've had one forever why the hell doesn't an Admin delete this duplication. Or kill off the Next Piper at the Gates thread then. Jesus....

SC

I thought we fucked off this thread. We've had one forever why the hell doesn't an Admin delete this duplication. Or kill off the Next Piper at the Gates thread then. Jesus....

SC

Aye, this is needless self-indulgent twaddle of the highest order...like prog rock, then!

• Like 2

Keith Emerson dies aged 71

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35787187

They are dropping like flies! A lot of them seem to be dying in their late sixties or early seventies: JJ Cale, David Bowie, Jack Bruce, Lou Reed, Edgar Froese, Chris Squire, Ray Manzarek, Lemmy are eight that come to mind right now from the past 3 years or so... and now Keith Emerson can join them

Suppose there might be a few punk fans celebrating tonight though

SC

Who the fuck do you think you are calling a newbie?

I've been reading this forum since 2007 or earlier. And I actually created an account on here in 2007 and made some posts.

And if that other thread is such a great thread then why the fuck were major deaths in the musical genre (like Chris Squire for example) NOT EVEN MENTIONED in that thread at all when he died?

It's obvious we needed a new fucking thread.

It's only an internet forum, can you stop being such a whining cunt? Thanks.

• Like 8

Bravo, sir. :clap:

• Like 2

SC

Who the fuck do you think you are calling a newbie?

I've been reading this forum since 2007 or earlier. And I actually created an account on here in 2007 and made some posts.

And if that other thread is such a great thread then why the fuck were major deaths in the musical genre (like Chris Squire for example) NOT EVEN MENTIONED in that thread at all when he died?

It's obvious we needed a new fucking thread.

It's only an internet forum, can you stop being such a whining cunt? Thanks.

As a whining cunt, I object in the strongest terms possible, to being compared with Sir Creep.

• Like 4

Guest Droosy

so Keith pulled a Cobain?

They are now saying Emerson's death was from a gunshot wound and is a suspected suicide!

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7127455/keith-emerson-dead-emerson-lake-palmer

Fucking hell, wouldn't have expected that! Would have thought it would have just been another quiet cancer death or something...

Apparently he was suffering illness problems which made it difficult for him to play. Makes me wonder if he did a Bob Welch rather than it being a 'I hate myself and want to die' situation.

We'll probably find out soon enough I guess.

Not a fan to be honest (not a prog fan in general other than Curved Air and Yes before Wakeman joined) but he was always good value in documentaries. 2016 continues to be sad.

• Like 2

so Keith pulled a Cobain?

Apparently so, even though he's the last person you would expect to

Everyone knows about the 27 Club...

Brian Jones, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Kurt Cobain, and perhaps Amy Winehouse...

How about the 69 to 71 Club?

David Bowie, Lou Reed, Jack Bruce, Keith Emerson, Edgar Froese, Lemmy...

Brian Jones, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Kurt Cobain, and perhaps Amy Winehouse...

What about the slightly less exclusive 18 to 99 Club?

• Like 5

It'd be a dream gig if the 69 Club supported the Scissor Sisters

• Like 3

Doesn't have the same ring to it.

how about the 8+ club.

how about the 8+ club.

Steady on now...

how about the 8+ club.

Steady on now...

I heard they call it the BBC bar.

• Like 1

More avantgarde than prog really, but Tony Conrad, known for collaborations with Faust and John Cale, dies aged 76:

http://buffalo.com/2016/04/09/news/art/tony-conrad-avant-garde-pioneer-ub-professor-dies-76/

In other news, John Wetton's latest CT scan reveals no change, now onto round 10 of chemo. Is this bad news for him? I don't know enough about the cancer process to be able to say, but it doesn't sound great...

• Like 1