themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2016

I'm calling it: Thomas Jefferson Survives wins their first DDP this year.

Mind games, in March? :D

You have that ticking time bomb called Luke Halpin. A lot of the more obviously sick are shared between the top five, but that's 11 points if he dies and gets an obit. There's also Bob Ellis (who I discarded, so that's your late December Ray Price then) despite shared scepticism over his health status.

In less exciting news, the last round up was the first I've ever been "mentioned in dispatches" as it were. That gave me a geek thrill moment.

My and msc's performances thus far seems to show that self-doubt early on has been proving to be a heckuva reverse psychology.

• Like 1

It always is nice when a last minute grave illness pick manages to be a fascinating life lived to boot. That and having Bruce Langhorne in a 2016 squad almost feels like I'm owning a piece of the Berlin Wall, since a search on the forums brings up that he was someone DDT considered for his DDP team... back in 2008! A bit like when you got points with Claudio Abbado.

f5, f5!

I would question, why, in the year 2016 the onus is on me to inform you that I'm visiting the website for a new session. No other website I appear seems to be incapable of detecting fresh connections, and I've certainly never had to manually refresh a website using F5 on a new visit before?

Probably the Madasafish server more than anything else...

1. Where is the link to historical names of DDP picks -- I ask cuz I can't figure out how people here know who should make the List of the Missed.

2. 'Days with no deaths' and Milestones (certainly we've passed 1600-1700-1800) update that shit. :-?

SirC

DDP Archive, available on homepage.

The full list of teams aren't available from before 2003 for some reason.

Sorry but maybe it's my browser -- when I clicked on Archives (long before posting the aforementioned post) it took me to an error message (see below). I assumed it was void of content.

SC

"

The webpage cannot be found HTTP 404
Most likely causes:
  • There might be a typing error in the address.
  • If you clicked on a link, it may be out of date.
What you can try: Retype the address. Go back to the previous page.Go back to the previous page. Go to the main site and look for the information you want. More information

The link called "DDP Archive" hasn't worked for as long as I've been in the DDP. However, below it...

DDP stats & facts DDP Archive Previous winners 2014

David Quantick's Showbiz Pals 2013

David Quantick's Showbiz Pals 2012

The Living End 2011

The Living End 2010

Octopus of Odstock 2009

Tonight, Matthew, I'm Going To Be Badly-Torn Boy

This bit.

Well, the years are links to the DDP year in question. Where you can see the scoreboard, celebrities picked, who died, who picked who, those who died and didn't get obits (which is usually a list of the fucking obscure as hell), and the list of those who had been picked in previous years but not in the year of their death. Some of the early years had Inane Analysis and Insane Analysis, but those have been discontinued, probably as they'd take forever to do, and back in those days only about a dozen people and a dog took part, not 500 plus teams. The teams aren't available from 1996-2002 as I presume that was before the website existed.

The "Archive" is effectively is an abandoned place to house previous years and other nick nacks, but the front page pretty much serves the purpose anyway so it's practically irrelevant and needs to be removed.

The DDP website does somewhat resemble an overgrown garden, with weeds to be removed, plants to be shifted and new ones to be seeded in...

• Like 1

1. Where is the link to historical names of DDP picks -- I ask cuz I can't figure out how people here know who should make the List of the Missed.

2. 'Days with no deaths' and Milestones (certainly we've passed 1600-1700-1800) update that shit. :-?

SirC

DDP Archive, available on homepage.

The full list of teams aren't available from before 2003 for some reason.

Sorry but maybe it's my browser -- when I clicked on Archives (long before posting the aforementioned post) it took me to an error message (see below). I assumed it was void of content.

SC

"

The webpage cannot be found HTTP 404
Most likely causes:
  • There might be a typing error in the address.
  • If you clicked on a link, it may be out of date.
What you can try: Retype the address. Go back to the previous page.Go back to the previous page. Go to the main site and look for the information you want. More information

The link called "DDP Archive" hasn't worked for as long as I've been in the DDP. However, below it...

DDP stats & facts DDP Archive Previous winners 2014

David Quantick's Showbiz Pals 2013

David Quantick's Showbiz Pals 2012

The Living End 2011

The Living End 2010

Octopus of Odstock 2009

Tonight, Matthew, I'm Going To Be Badly-Torn Boy

This bit.

Well, the years are links to the DDP year in question. Where you can see the scoreboard, celebrities picked, who died, who picked who, those who died and didn't get obits (which is usually a list of the fucking obscure as hell), and the list of those who had been picked in previous years but not in the year of their death. Some of the early years had Inane Analysis and Insane Analysis, but those have been discontinued, probably as they'd take forever to do, and back in those days only about a dozen people and a dog took part, not 500 plus teams. The teams aren't available from 1996-2002 as I presume that was before the website existed.

The "Archive" is effectively is an abandoned place to house previous years and other nick nacks, but the front page pretty much serves the purpose anyway so it's practically irrelevant and needs to be removed.

The DDP website does somewhat resemble an overgrown garden, with weeds to be removed, plants to be shifted and new ones to be seeded in...

You also need to lay down some good groundwork underneath to house it. One that can detect it that a visitor has come after a new branch has grown in the garden.

My and msc's performances thus far seems to show that self-doubt early on has been proving to be a heckuva reverse psychology.

Hah! Well, I did think your side would do better than you thought! As for the chap in second place, I'm worried they'll get busted for performance enhancing drugs given their previous best!

• Like 1

I have already 4/20. (Pat Harrington Jr, Rene Angelil, Eric Lubbock, Martin Crowe)

I believe that Feek, Marks will be also hits.

Others ... I don't know. History shows that I get 3/20 or 7/20 hits per year. I have already over 3... so I will have 7 hits probably.

So last time I did this - Feek died on the same day.

So today it seems, that ...

90% chance to die in 2016 - Ford

75% chance to die in 2016 - Marks, Granger, Kohl

50% chance to die in 2016 - Adamowicz, Travis, James, Carter, Gabor

25% chance to die in 2016 - Farnham, Westhuizen, Ali

5% chance to die in 2016 - Cruyff, Romero, Fawkes

My math says that I will get more hits this year.

Four days later. Ford is dead. Soon I shall do another update. Gonna be harder this time.

I have already 4/20. (Pat Harrington Jr, Rene Angelil, Eric Lubbock, Martin Crowe)

Others ... I don't know. History shows that I get 3/20 or 7/20 hits per year. I have already over 3... so I will have 7 hits probably.

Four days later. Ford is dead. Soon I shall do another update. Gonna be harder this time.

Ah, yes, that means Marks or Kohl could be next. Both of whom I have.

Now I did some heavy research. This is how it's going to be according to the information available.

1. Kate Granger 85% (according to her blog 16.03.16 - losing her battle to cancer)
2. Keith Farnham 75% (pulmonary fibrosis, bladder cancer and hepatitis C - should be dead already)
3. Howard Marks 70% (inoperable bowel cancer which has spread to his liver and lungs since 2014/15 winter)
4. Tony Adamowicz 65% (stage 4 brain cancer - should be dead in less than two years)
5. Muhammad Ali 60% (32 years with Parkinson's disease - getting worse every year)
6. Clive James 55% (leukemia - embarraced to be alive since he should be dead already)
7. Kris Travis 50% (had stomach cancer, got into remission, cancer returned, life or death TBA)
8. Helen Fawkes 45% (won three times against ovarian cancer, according to her blog 22.03.16 - the cancer has returned)
9. Randy Romero 40% (hepatitis C, liver and kidneys are failing - according to doctors he might not see next year if he doesn't some new organ transplant)
10. Joost van der Westhuizen 35% (has MND - in 2011 was giver 2-5 years to live, only 10% with the illness can live up to 10 years)
11. Zsa Zsa Gabor 30% (according to statistics - people who are aged 99 have 70% chance to see their next birthday, otherways she has NO health issues at all)

12. Helmut Kohl 25% (health has been failing during the last 10 years, but now seems stable)

13. Jimmy Carter 20% (had cancer that had spread to brain and liver but declares himself cancer free, however he is old)
14. Johan Cruyff 15% (fighting with lung cancer and has a feeling that he is 2-0 up in the first half of a match that has not finished yet)

According to my math I should get six more hits which should give me a score of 46 points. If I add that to my current 58 points in DDP, I get 104 points. That should hive me a chance of 33% to win this years DDP. What do you guys think?

Guest David Guest

You have a 0% chance of winning

Now I did some heavy research. This is how it's going to be according to the information available.

1. Kate Granger 85% (according to her blog 16.03.16 - losing her battle to cancer)
2. Keith Farnham 75% (pulmonary fibrosis, bladder cancer and hepatitis C - should be dead already)
3. Howard Marks 70% (inoperable bowel cancer which has spread to his liver and lungs since 2014/15 winter)
4. Tony Adamowicz 65% (stage 4 brain cancer - should be dead in less than two years)
5. Muhammad Ali 60% (32 years with Parkinson's disease - getting worse every year)
6. Clive James 55% (leukemia - embarraced to be alive since he should be dead already)
7. Kris Travis 50% (had stomach cancer, got into remission, cancer returned, life or death TBA)
8. Helen Fawkes 45% (won three times against ovarian cancer, according to her blog 22.03.16 - the cancer has returned)
9. Randy Romero 40% (hepatitis C, liver and kidneys are failing - according to doctors he might not see next year if he doesn't some new organ transplant)
10. Joost van der Westhuizen 35% (has MND - in 2011 was giver 2-5 years to live, only 10% with the illness can live up to 10 years)
11. Zsa Zsa Gabor 30% (according to statistics - people who are aged 99 have 70% chance to see their next birthday, otherways she has NO health issues at all)

12. Helmut Kohl 25% (health has been failing during the last 10 years, but now seems stable)

13. Jimmy Carter 20% (had cancer that had spread to brain and liver but declares himself cancer free, however he is old)
14. Johan Cruyff 15% (fighting with lung cancer and has a feeling that he is 2-0 up in the first half of a match that has not finished yet)

According to my math I should get six more hits which should give me a score of 46 points. If I add that to my current 58 points in DDP, I get 104 points. That should hive me a chance of 33% to win this years DDP. What to do you guys think?

I would be shocked if 104 points was good enough to win this year. That said if more then 6 people from that list died I would not surprised.I would say Farnham and Romero would be YUGE for your chances and might be your difference maker picks. A Granger or Marks hit for example would just mean keeping up with a lot of top teams who also have them.

• Like 1

What did I tell you people....

According to my math I should get six more hits which should give me a score of 46 points. If I add that to my current 58 points in DDP, I get 104 points. That should hive me a chance of 33% to win this years DDP. What do you guys think?

Cruyff hits the basket. This is getting scary, guys.

Half my team gone with Diski and Langhorne still hanging on by a thread :ninja:

Half my team gone with Diski and Langhorne still hanging on by a thread :ninja:

It does look like the record is in danger this year. (It did at one point last year too, but things sort of dried up!) Given our respective positions in the table, I shall have to wish Kris Travis, Peter Esterhazy and Errol Christie all the best health for the next ten months! :P

I do think it'll be one of four to win outright though, last years big 3 and Chorizo. All precedent suggests I'm about to run out of hits as teams that go 10 or more out of 20 are bloody rare (I think Granger/Diski/Kincaid and Sims are the likeliest left) but greed has me looking towards the 100 points mark.

Added to note: I know exactly what's going to happen in December, though. Mother Angelica, Bob Ellis, Abdul Sattar Edhi and Luke Halpin will die. Not only that, but a Michel Delpech obit will show up!

• Like 2

Added to note: I know exactly what's going to happen in December, though. Mother Angelica, Bob Ellis, Abdul Sattar Edhi and Luke Halpin will die. Not only that, but a Michel Delpech obit will show up!

We'll find out that way before Wight is Wight, Michel Delpech was a budding songwriter who wrote the theme song to Flipper when he was still in his teens and all the Luke Halpin obits will oblige to mention that.

• Like 1

Cruyff hits the basket. This is getting scary, guys.

Please do another update :)

He's now fighting lung cancer with a score of 2-3 at the 91st minute without extra time.

He's now fighting lung cancer with a score of 2-3 at the 91st minute without extra time.

Well, it'd be rather noteworthy if he equalised now, to say the least.

By my count, I now have 56 points. If Diski, Marks and Travis die (I reckon the odds of dying are above 50% for each of them), I should reach 95 points.