Sign in to follow this  
The Mad Hatter

Thoughts On The 2016 List

Guest Cippy

In order to stay ahead of 2008 we need a hit within the next 20 days.

we are gonna do that :)

next death it's coming soon

no you were wrong

Zsa Zsa Gabor 60%

Havelange 65%

De Havillad 5%

Bhumibol 30%

Graham 50%

Wouk 50%

Perez de Cuellar 60%

Adams 70% (he's THE MAN!)

Douglas 55%

Smith 25%

Moore 5%

Sallis 58%

Philip 20%

Randi 3%

Carrington 38%

James 40%

Dole 49%

Westhuizen 1%

Scales 0% (why on this list? Why????)

Carter 4% (Democrats never die)

Kissinger 32%

chong 5%

Ellis 59%

Bush Sr. 55%

Lynn 3%

Phillips 60%

Castro 2%

I will continue later

In order to stay ahead of 2008 we need a hit within the next 20 days.

We have 2 days left.

*munches popcorn*

Will it happen?

Even if it doesn't, if we get 2 hits before April 29th, we'll get back ahead of 2008.

I have a feeling we're entering a drought, though.

• Like 1

Heres my mortality odds on some of the picks:

Zsa Zsa Gabor:75%

Bhumibol Adulyadej :75%

Joao Havelange:75%

Billy Graham :70%

Leslie Phillips:70%

Mary Tyler Moore:70%

John Noakes: 65%

Glen Campbell:65%

Kirk Douglas:65%

Muhammad Ali:60%

Stephen Hawking:60%

Peter Sallis:60%

George Bush Senior:60%

Jake LaMotta:55%

Fidel Castro:55%

Joost Van der Westhuizen:55%

Javier Perez de Cuellar:55%

Richard Adams:50%

Jimmy Carter :50%

Vera Lynn:50%

Olivia de Havilland:50%

Herman Wouk:50%

Henry Kissenger:50%

Bob Dole:50%

Denis Norden:50%

Fats Domino:50%

Paul Gascoigne:45%

Peter Carrington:45%

Liz Smith:45%

Bruce Forsyth :40%

Stan Lee:35%

Prunella Scales:30%

Doug Ellis:30%

Jacques Chirac:30%

Murray Walker:30%

Desmond Tutu:30%

Clive James:30%

Sandy Gall:25%

Gordon Banks:25%

Jimmy Greaves:25%

Robert M Pirsig:25%

Lestor Piggott:20%

James Randi:15%

Tommy Chong:15%

Prince Philip:15%

Forgive me, I will not continue because it's useless. I just want to say this list is awful and will go down as a major disappointment with 8-9 deaths. That's the way it is. People like Lester Piggott and Sandy Gall are completely random, plus age was considered more important than cancer. I hope it makes at least 12 deaths but I honestly think it won't. The deaths of Vigoda and BBG were pure luck (BBG broke his hip); Crowe was the only one we knew was going to die. But sincerely Cruyff, Umberto Eco, Hilary Putnam and others, not so old but haunted by cancer, could have been considered for this list.

You did a great work, though. It's not so easy to write a deathlist, even if everyone retains he is the best at it.

Sry, guys, but your odds are way too high compared to the reality. Shaun of the Dead is practically saying that we are going to get ~25 hits this year. Really?

Guest Deadpool

Forgive me, I will not continue because it's useless. I just want to say this list is awful and will go down as a major disappointment with 8-9 deaths. That's the way it is. People like Lester Piggott and Sandy Gall are completely random, plus age was considered more important than cancer. I hope it makes at least 12 deaths but I honestly think it won't. The deaths of Vigoda and BBG were pure luck (BBG broke his hip); Crowe was the only one we knew was going to die. But sincerely Cruyff, Umberto Eco, Hilary Putnam and others, not so old but haunted by cancer, could have been considered for this list.

You did a great work, though. It's not so easy to write a deathlist, even if everyone retains he is the best at it.

i don't think the 2016 deathlist is awful... we are in the beginning of April and they are 5 deaths already... i made some statitics and in the WORST case the list can do about 10 deaths....

I think this list could fair well like sure they are some bad misses along with picks that make no sense (looking at you piggot) I still think alot of candidates will die.

I think I might beat the list this year. Not sure though, their pointless-but-old picks seem to be dropping like flies since last year.

Here are some predictions.

Mutual hits

George H. W. Bush

Joao Havelange

Clive James

Glen Campbell

Hits for them

Jimmy Greaves

Bruce Forsyth

Lord Carrington

Fats Domino

Hits for me

Howard Marks

Helmut Kohl

Valerie Harper

One of my ultra-centenarians (Youguang, McCain, Tovar)

I think I might beat the list this year. Not sure though, their pointless-but-old picks seem to be dropping like flies since last year.

Mutual hits

George H. W. Bush

Joao Havelange

Clive James

Glen Campbell

Hits for them

Jimmy Greaves

Bruce Forsyth

Lord Carrington

Fats Domino

Hits for me

Howard Marks

Helmut Kohl

Valerie Harper

On my personal secret deathlist I have McCain, Tovar, Youguang, Sarosy, Dorfles, Hardegen, italian composer Cecilia Seghizzi (b. 1908) and others. I scored 7 hits: Umberto Eco, George Kennedy, Martin Crowe, Joey Feek, Nancy Reagan, Hilary Putnam, Cliff Michelmore. Not so good considering I have 130 names on my list!

Castro, Graham, Douglas, De Havilland, Gabor and Adultparty are fucking immortal.

Mutual hits

George H. W. Bush

Joao Havelange

Clive James

Glen Campbell

Hits for them

Jimmy Greaves

Bruce Forsyth

Lord Carrington

Fats Domino

Hits for me

Howard Marks

Helmut Kohl

Valerie Harper

I have the feeling Greaves will be wheelchair bound for 4 or 5 years, James 2019, Campbell 2017, Marks 2023, Harper attends my funeral.

Mutual hits

George H. W. Bush

Joao Havelange

Clive James

Glen Campbell

Hits for them

Jimmy Greaves

Bruce Forsyth

Lord Carrington

Fats Domino

Hits for me

Howard Marks

Helmut Kohl

Valerie Harper

I have the feeling Greaves will be wheelchair bound for 4 or 5 years, James 2019, Campbell 2017, Marks 2023, Harper attends my funeral.

James and Harper have to die sometime. This year might be it.

Harper seemed to be going on a bucket list trip last month, and now her FB page has suddenly become inactive.

We have lost some of the low hanging fruit quite quickly thos year. Not sure who we are waiting for now. I am expecting a slower April.

0 hits for the past 6 weeks.

But we're way ahead of our usual pace, so nothing to worry about.

• Like 1

OUR???

• Like 1

OUR???
Yup. Everybody uses 1st person plural pronouns to refer to the Deathlist despite none of us actually participating in the creation of each year's list.
  • Like 1

We're in a drought in DL terms.

OUR???
Yup. Everybody uses 1st person plural pronouns to refer to the Deathlist despite none of us actually participating in the creation of each year's list.

I don't. I regard myself merely as an interested observer. There is no question of "we", "us" or "our".

• Like 4

This list is representing a major failure, but it is not MY failure. My failure is much worse!!! 8 deaths and 140 names on the list means I was using LSD while I was writing the list.

It is only May and we have a lot of low hanging fruit.I don`t think any names on the list are bad picks really.

• Like 1

It is only May and we have a lot of low hanging fruit.I don`t think any names on the list are bad picks really.

It is not a record-breaking list anyway. It can rely on Havelange, Lamotta, maybe Ali... and then? Zsa Zsa proved to be immortal as well as Fidel. Gall, Noakes, Mary Tyler Moore, Piggott, Gascoigne are wasted spots... If they only put Howard Marks or Jenny Diski in it would have been less spectacular, but probably record-breaking.

It is not a record-breaking list anyway. It can rely on Havelange, Lamotta, maybe Ali... and then? Zsa Zsa proved to be immortal as well as Fidel. Gall, Noakes, Mary Tyler Moore, Piggott, Gascoigne are wasted spots... If they only put Howard Marks or Jenny Diski in it would have been less spectacular, but probably record-breaking.

Howard Marks is a huge miss yes but Diski was probably not famous enough.Gascoigne is clearly off his tits again judging by his twitter feed and looks like death.Moore is apparently bedridden senile and blind and John Noakes has advanced Alzheimer`s.None are dead certs but all are decent enough picks in my view.

• Like 2

Howard Marks is a huge miss yes but Diski was probably not famous enough.Gascoigne is clearly off his tits again judging by his twitter feed and looks like death.Moore is apparently bedridden senile and blind and John Noakes has advanced Alzheimer`s.None are dead certs but all are decent enough picks in my view.

Diski got a big obit from the New York Times. Can't say the same for Michelwhoevermore or Crowe.

Anyways, my prediction now is that we'll really slow down in pace and get about 10.

2 of the old, frequent picks (Bush, Havelange).

2 randoms.

1 of the terminally ill (hopefully finally James).

• Like 1