Sign in to follow this  
The Mad Hatter

Thoughts On The 2016 List

Olivia is in dangerous territory this year as many people usually die before they reach 1 hundred.

Going from 99 ---> 100 is only slightly more difficult than going from 98 ---> 99 so I don't see why she'd enter some kind of danger zone this year in particular. Also, her chronological age can be misleading if she's aged biologically at a slow speed. In fact, she might only be in her '70s' right now, meaning that she could probably live another decade.
its a trend for stars like her to die at that age.

Give a few examples of stars that have reached 99 years, 185 days, without eventually reaching 100.

Abe Vigoda - Has he done anything in years?

Oh yes, he's having the time of his life...

Qii5vev.jpg

• Like 2

Olivia is in dangerous territory this year as many people usually die before they reach 1 hundred.

Going from 99 ---> 100 is only slightly more difficult than going from 98 ---> 99 so I don't see why she'd enter some kind of danger zone this year in particular. Also, her chronological age can be misleading if she's aged biologically at a slow speed. In fact, she might only be in her '70s' right now, meaning that she could probably live another decade.
its a trend for stars like her to die at that age.

Give a few examples of stars that have reached 99 years, 185 days, without eventually reaching 100.
eli wallach and Chapman pincher

May want to rethink your examples, Eli didn't even reach 99, whereas Pincher went on to the century mark :unsure:

• Like 1

She can reach 100 anyway, as long as she dies before reaching 100 and a half.

Anyhow, time will tell.

Great analysis, you know much more than I do obviously about some of these!

Where, other than Wikipedia, is the best place to go to find health info for some of these? Other than the Xmas Day episode of Strictly for Brucie of course...

This forum, google news, TV, all kinds of places.

There isn't a one shop "Celebritys Ailing" website that I know about.

No - if there is such a website, it's this one!

Person by person then

Martin Crowe - terminally ill, has outlasted his prognosis. Chances of dying in 2016: 99%

Zsa Zsa - As I've said before, she'll go one day when we least expect it.

Joao Havelange - Old, health issues, remaining relevant due to age old corruption. I can't believe he's still with us. I'd be more shocked if he was here in a years time.

Olivia de Havilland - Seemed in fairly good fettle last year, but 12 months is a long time in your 100th year.

Bhumibol Adulyadej - Hopefully, so we can stop trying to spell his name.

Billy Graham - I trust him as much as the wrestler. Wouldn't surprise me to see him clinging on in two years.

Herman Wouk - Statistically likely to go this year, I'd assume.

Javier Perez de Cuellar - Haven't a clue.

Richard Adams - Well enough to be interviewed by Mumsnet in December. His frequent media appearances have become rather limited though.

Kirk Douglas - Who knows?

Abe Vigoda - Has he done anything in years?

Liz Smith - Another aging actress. Law of averages suggests at least 5 of the old folk will go, just through the art of being old.

Mary Tyler Moore - A forum favourite, I didn't think she was that ill, but I could be wrong.

Nancy Reagan - Usually too determined to think of dying, but reports in September were she was too frail to attend the GOP debates. Now, she might have said that because she preferred watching Breaking Bad on Netflix...

Peter Sallis - Probably.

Prince Philip - Someone who will only leave the list one way. 2016 doesn't seem any likelier than 2015, at this point.

James Randi - He might well become a grumpy ghost. He did retire from his own Foundation last year.

Lord Carrington - Seemed in fine fettle in recent interviews. I suppose age could see him off.

Clive James - Nah, he'll see 2017.

Bob Dole - As will he.

Joost van der Westhuizen- Joost is in Year 5 of ALS now. As seen before (Borgonovo), this is usually an event horizon with the illness.

Prunella Scales - Good pick. Well publicised health issues, and have heard, off the record, its more dire than papers report.

Jimmy Carter - I know many took him off their DDP lists, but this could be a good sleeper hit, especially if the cancer returns towards the end of the year.

Henry Kissinger - Doubt it.

Tommy Chong - I thought his cancer was less serious than most, so it seems a wasted pick right now.

Doug Ellis - Looked hideous at the FA Cup final, but Spade and others said he was looking better in October interviews.

George Bush Sr- Well, he is getting to the upper limit US Presidents tend to reach.

Vera Lynn - Allegedly quite frail.

Leslie Philips - This was a guy who was everywhere. Had that massive stroke last year,and we've heard barely a peep since. Age, health, and health issues before the big one, plus lengthy atypical quietness suggests a decent chance of a hit here.

Fidel Castro - Haven't a clue.

Sandy Gall - I like this pick. More Scots on the list, please.

Fats Domino - "Is he still alive?" asks my wife. How he outlived so many of his contemporaries I'll never know. There seems to be a clear out in the older music generation the now, so a good chance of Domino saying sayonara in 2016 - he's had health issues for ages iirc.

Robert Pirsig - Never heard of him. As a number of people have mentioned to me since that he's apparently in frail health, I'll concede this might be a good pick.

Desmond Tutu - Cancer, and in and out of hospital. Doesn't seem in immediate danger.

Lester Piggott - A very Deathlist pick, but seems a bit early from my limited knowledge.

Glen Campbell - Well, I dropped him in the DDP because I thought 2016 was too early, so given my form...

Stan Lee - Wasn't he meant to be seriously ill in 2012? That's all I know.

Boutros-Boutros Ghali - Apparently in frail health.

Jake Lamotta - Still going, somehow.

Cliff Michelmore - Given his retirement, no one knows how his health is.

Denis Norden - Going blind but seems quite cheery.

Murray Walker - Seems in good spirits to me.

Jimmy Greaves - Frail after massive stroke. Good pick.

Gordon Banks - Has kidney cancer in his one remaining kidney. Could be a clever pick indeed if he goes downhill quickly. (He had cancer before, this is its comeback.)

Muhammad Ali - Well, he's not going to see 80...

Jacques Chirac - Allegedly frail, and highly Deathlist-able.

Stephen Hawking - Haven't a clue, given his life expectancy beating so far...

Paul Gascoigne - Wasted pick. Feels like an early 90s plump too.

John Noakes - Alzheimer's and frail, I'd say good choice here.

Bruce Forsyth - Well, he did just survive a massive aneurysm, so you can see why he might be a good pick.

So, 5 odd age deaths, plus Joost and Crowe, plus Scales/Sallis/Philips gives 10.

Gutting feeling (look at the names and asking myself if I see them alive in 2017) gives us around 14 hits though.

Anyhow, time will tell.

I agree with most of your assessments except Gazza.This guy has been abusing alcohol for years as well as drugs.He looks dreadful and suffered a cardiac arrest when detoing in rehab.His hospital admissions are now semi regular.I reckon he is a good pick as his liver must be close to failing and he is also a suicide risk.Also can you elaborate about Prunella?I watched Timothy West on Piers Morgan yesterday and they said she was diagnosed 15 years ago which is a hell of a long time.

article-0-20B44E5300000578-332_306x423.j

I think this picture speaks volumes about poor Gazza.I would love to see him recover and beat his demons but judging on his record so far I don`t see it happening sadly ! :(

How old is he again? He looks 70-something. Even though he's only in his late 40s

Guest Guest

Also Hugh Downs should be on here

Too American.

Too American.

Thats ridiculous. He don't obit shut this beeotch down. Mary Tyler Moore must be too....oops!

Windsor..... You came I here today with a crack pipe in hand. I'll give you a pass.

SC

I can understand why most people are included. I only had to look up one Robert M Pirsig.

I don't think Brucie, Lester Piggot, Prince Phillip or Kissinger will go this year.

Surpeised Kohl, Dawn and Booth didn't make the line up and there was a lot of talk about Marks which gave the impression he was a shoe in.

I only had to look up one Robert M Pirsig.

Damn it, his Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance touched me deeply. I don't recommend it to non-techies, but a book that's quite dear to me.

Only 6 women and no German (e.g. Helmut Kohl, Walter Scheel, Margot Honecker)? That's a little disappointing, dear Committee.

Most of the newcomers are boring and not very interesting (Jockey, Commentator, Presenter, Goalkeeper... :glare: ).

But I like the inclusion of Mary Tyler Moore.

Actually, there appear to be 8 women on the list.

1. Zsa Zsa Gabor

2. Olivia de Havilland

3. Nancy Reagan

4. Vera Lynn

5. Mary Tyler Moore

6. Sandy Gall

7. Prunella Scales

8. Liz Smith

Only 6 women and no German (e.g. Helmut Kohl, Walter Scheel, Margot Honecker)? That's a little disappointing, dear Committee.

Most of the newcomers are boring and not very interesting (Jockey, Commentator, Presenter, Goalkeeper... :glare: ).

But I like the inclusion of Mary Tyler Moore.

Actually, there appear to be 8 women on the list.

1. Zsa Zsa Gabor

2. Olivia de Havilland

3. Nancy Reagan

4. Vera Lynn

5. Mary Tyler Moore

6. Sandy Gall

7. Prunella Scales

8. Liz Smith

Both of us are wrong - 7 :D

Still too few women!

So Abe Vigoda checks in just to give us a hit at the right time if we have a linear hit rate and we want to get 14 hits. Last year we had to wait till Feb to get the first hit so we can't complain at the moment.

• Like 1

So Abe Vigoda checks in just to give us a hit at the right time if we have a linear hit rate and we want to get 14 hits. Last year we had to wait till Feb to get the first hit so we can't complain at the moment.

Won´t stop some.

• Like 4

"If" we want to get 14 hits? I don't!

Only 8/29 lists had 2 hits already in Mid-February. So we're doing good so far!

If we can get the fifth hit before 26th March we will be ahead of the 2008 list which is pretty impressive.

Might be worth time to suggest which 10 will bring us to the unsurpassed 14.

If we can get the fifth hit before 26th March we will be ahead of the 2008 list which is pretty impressive.

Might be worth time to suggest which 10 will bring us to the unsurpassed 14.

Here is my revised prediction for the 10 more deaths this year:

Zsa Zsa Gabor

Bhumibol Adulyadej

Leslie Phillips

Peter Sallis

Mary Tyler Moore

Joao Havelange

John Noakes

Clive James

Javier Perez de Cuellar

Muhammad Ali

Ok, me thinks:

- Zsa Zsa Gabor

- Joao Havelange

- Bhumibol Adulyadej

- Lord Carrington

- Vera Lynn

- Desmond Tutu

- Glen Campbell

- Billy Graham

- Murray Walker

- Kirk Douglas

Some wishin' and hopin'...

Well I thought

• Zsa Zsa Gabor
  • Joao Havalange
  • Bhumibol Adulyadej
  • Billy Graham
  • Richard Adams
  • Peter Sallis
  • George Bush Snr
  • Leslie Phillips
  • Jimmy Greaves
  • Gordon Banks

Maybe Glen Campbell to break the record.

• Zsa Zsa Gabor
  • Joao Havelange
  • Bhumibol Adulyadej
  • Billy Graham
  • Herman Wouk
  • Javier Perez de Cuellar
  • Kirk Douglas
  • Prince Philip
  • James Randi
  • Joost van der Westhuizen
  • Henry Kissinger
  • George Bush SrV
  • Vera Lynn
  • Leslie Philips
  • Fidel Castro
  • Jake Lamotta
  • Gordon Banks
  • Muhammad Ali

I'm going for it being the biggest year in Deathlist history, myself.

:P