Sign in to follow this  
The Mad Hatter

Thoughts On The 2016 List

I'll say a fair list, nothing exceptionally surprising. Well done Committee and bon chance!

• Like 1

Guest Lemmy'sGhost

RadGuy you have Joost to die in June and then again in August.

RadGuy you have Joost to die in June and then again in August.

Fixed.

Guest Lemmy'sGhost

I will however join your game;

(16/50)

16th January - Martin Crowe

29th January - Liz Smith

1st February - Joost

17th February - Vera Lynn

3rd March - Billy Graham

5th March - Bhumibol Adulyadej

18th March - Prunella Scales

27th April - Bruce Forsyth

2nd July - Jimmy Carter

11th July - Jake Lamotta

13th August - Lester Piggott

17th August - Dennis Norden

11th September - Jacques Chirac

21st October - Zsa Zsa Gabor

13th November - Prince Phillip

25th December - Gordon Banks

Only 6 women and no German (e.g. Helmut Kohl, Walter Scheel, Margot Honecker)? That's a little disappointing, dear Committee.

Most of the newcomers are boring and not very interesting (Jockey, Commentator, Presenter, Goalkeeper... :glare: ).

But I like the inclusion of Mary Tyler Moore.

Guest Arsewipe

SHITE!!!

SHITE!!!

That's to be expected, surely.

toilet-paper-in-love-smiley-emoticon.gif

• Like 1

I like most of the folk dropped, though sods law will naturally dictate that this is the year that Valerie Harper and Doris Day now die.

Not so sure about Tommy Chong or Paul Gascoigne. They seem like wasted picks.

As for Rad Guy's game, exact dates are too specific for my liking, but as a general feeling:

February: John Noakes

March: Peter Sallis

April: Martin Crowe

April: Herman Wouk

July: Vera Lynn

August: Joost van der Westhuizen

October: Kirk Douglas

October: Leslie Philips

November: Prunella Scales

December: Joao Havelange

December: Olivia de Havilland

Which would give us 11. But then, who knows? There are a lot of very low hanging fruit on the list. Well over half of the list I could easily see not reaching 2018. Time will tell.

Boutros-Ghali is basically think Javier Perez de Cuellar, except with a funnier face and name.

Gotta love everything about Boutros Boutros-Ghali! He's such a cutie:

Naelachohanboutrosghali-2.jpg

Boutros-Ghali is basically think Javier Perez de Cuellar, except with a funnier face and name.

I would

• Like 1

I would
sit down and talk to him about the social experience he gained from his term as in general.
  • Like 1

Ok Predictions for hits:Total 15/50

Martin Crowe :8th January

João Havelange: 28th February

Leslie Phillips :28th April

Peter Sallis:31st May

Clive James:27th June

Zsa Zsa Gabor:16th July

Paul Gascoigne:30th July

Stephen Hawking:19th August

Mary Tyler Moore:24th August

Billy Graham:5th September

Muhammad Ali:November 1st

Gordon Banks:November 4th

John Noakes:23rd November

George Bush Senior:19th December

Kirk Douglas :27th December

I would
sit down and talk to him about the social experience he gained from his term as in general.

Absolutely :nod:

• Like 1

Guest Anthony

The 2016 List should be even better if Norman Lloyd, Alan Young, Robert Clary, William Schallert & Bob Barker were on here

The 2016 List should be even better if Norman Lloyd, Alan Young, Robert Clary, William Schallert & Bob Barker were on here

Never heard of any of them. Are they members of your local pub dominoes team ? :old:

• Like 6

He looks like the lovechild of Denis Norden & (Bee Gees) Robin Gibb.

• Like 4

Guest The Watcher

'County set' ladies of the gentry regularly seem to be omitted. In the last couple of years Winston Churchill's daughter & the last Mitford sister (Dowager Duchess of Devonshire) were missed. Now Mary Wilson (poet not the singer & brunt of Mike Yarwood's jokes), Clarissa Eden & the surviving Pullein- Thomson sister (writer/horse fancier) are nowhere to be seen!

I noted where US actor Wayne Rogers died 31/12/2015 @ 82. Rogers was "Trapper John" for the first 3 seasons of M*A*S*H until the writer favoring Alan Alaa's "Hawkeye" Pierce over him led him to leave the series. The late Pernell Roberts (Bonanza) played the same character on the series TRAPPER JOHN roughly 1979 to 1985.

For the record, actor David Canary died @ 77 in November, 2015, leaving no surviving adult cast members from Bonanza (1959 - 1973). After Dan "Hoss" Blocker died, that one went straight down the tube.

As said in every year: some of them are on a global perspective too insignificant and not spectacular enough, too much UK-heavy. Would be great thinking more globally.

I like some new good choices like Boutros Boutros Ghali, Jacques Chirac, Jimmy Carter.

• Like 1

'County set' ladies of the gentry regularly seem to be omitted. In the last couple of years Winston Churchill's daughter & the last Mitford sister (Dowager Duchess of Devonshire) were missed. Now Mary Wilson (poet not the singer & brunt of Mike Yarwood's jokes), Clarissa Eden & the surviving Pullein- Thomson sister (writer/horse fancier) are nowhere to be seen!

Yes I was very surprised that neither Clarissa Eden or Mary Wilson were there but I'm pleased that Doris Day was not included in this year's list as she strikes me as being in fine fettle for her age.

The Pullein Thompson sisters are all dead.

Some good new choices, some dramatic omissions, conventional nr. 1, but I don't have a better idea. Ok effort, could have been better.

• Like 1

Surprised Howard Marks isn't on there, and there seems to be an abundance of 'old' people but overall it looks a good list. There's no-one on there that I've gone "who?" or "FFS" at.

Leaving Howard Marks off was sheer stupidity, just like leaving Sir Nicholas Winton off the 2015 list was really, really dumb.

I like the inclusion of Boutros Boutros-Ghali - as I said earlier, isn't he just such an adorable cutie? Here's that photo again just to remind you:

Aside from that, new picks like Robert M Pirsig for example seems like a good choice, but why him and not the likes of I. M. Pei or Alistair Urquhart or Desmond Morris any of the other good choices suggested?

Taking off the likes of Robert Mugabe, Doris Day, Helmut Kohl and Hosni Mubarak is IMHO a bad idea, I could see any of these figures not lasting the year...

Not sure about some of the newer picks lower down the list as I honestly don't know enough about them to be able to comment on whether they are good picks or not!